The Student Room Group

Should I study abroad?

I live in the UK at the moment, and I am in year 11. I know I still have a few years until I need to decide about uni, but I have been thinking about universities abroad, especially those in USA and Canada. Do you think i should continue studying here (UK) or travel to Canada or America to continue my education?
Thanks!
Honestly I think it's up to you but the idea of studying abroad is really exciting! Depending where you go, there are some countries where it'll be cheaper than here in the uk which is a plus! I thought about it myself but I'm now hoping to study in the uk but spend a year of study abroad in America: best of both worlds :smile: Most universities do it I think, just a bit course dependent. Alternatively, you could take a gap year doing something like Camp America and decide that way if it's right for you?
Either way, at college they'll give you a load of info on studying abroad and I think it sounds like a great experience and a load of fun :biggrin:
Agreed - study abroad is awesome. Most Brits who do it have a great time. But it's obviously not for everyone - do your research on what's involved so you're sure you feel comfortable with what you're getting into. There's good info here for UK students thinking of going abroad for uni.
Reply 3
Ahh thank you guys! It sounds like so much fun, and I am seriously considering it! I am definitely taking a gap year, and was initially thinking about South America, but I think I will definitely need to visit North America to see if it is for me.

Thank you!
Cool! Just a heads up - the application deadline for most Us unis is Jan 1st - so if you take a gap year, you'll need to get your application in by that date and it can be a very time consuming process! Some unis have a later deadline, but make sure to check!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending