The Student Room Group

Suspending uni for the year/ no year abroad

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on this. So recently I had to make the decision to cancel my year abroad (I study languages for context) and instead transfer to a course without a year abroad (but same modules etc) due to a family emergency. I'm still planning on setting aside some time to go travelling to the countries where my languages are spoken, but I'm worried that it'll be frowned upon by employers when it comes to searching for a job (given I haven't spent an entire year in a specific country). Does anyone have any suggestions of how to compensate for this experience/ still have access to the same opportunities postgrad? Or just in general how did people who studied languages at degree get the right experience for future jobs? I can't seem to find anything related to what I want to do (even if its translation etc.) anywhere.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by mh1603
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on this. So recently I had to make the decision to cancel my year abroad (I study languages for context) and instead transfer to a course without a year abroad (but same modules etc) due to a family emergency. I'm still planning on setting aside some time to go travelling to the countries where my languages are spoken, but I'm worried that it'll be frowned upon by employers when it comes to searching for a job (given I haven't spent an entire year in a specific country). Does anyone have any suggestions of how to compensate for this experience/ still have access to the same opportunities postgrad? Or just in general how did people who studied languages at degree get the right experience for future jobs? I can't seem to find anything related to what I want to do (even if its translation etc.) anywhere.

I am not an expert in this topic, but if the country experience is important, i would suggest that you consider it. If your family situation is too important, you should consider postponing your year abroad to the following year.
Would it be feasible for you to get a job abroad in the summer holidays, or do something like a British Council assistantship in the year following your course?
You could also have a word with your uni's careers team about internships etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending