The Student Room Group

Labour supporting Duncan Smith in defending slave work at Poundland

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by venenecinema
"Being made to work" doesn't ring any bells whatsoever.

You do know that's what we're talking about don't you?
Reply 61
Original post by Nick100
The point is that the comparisons to slavery and Nazi labour camps are absurd and obscene. Those benefits were paid for by someone else who had no say in the matter; are we going to compare those people to slaves too? If someone farts in an elevator should we compare them to Hitler for gassing a room full of people?

Did I say it was slavery?

You have to stop this habit of putting words in my mouth. Its most unbecoming.
Can the government actually do that! :O

I thought while on JSA you had to look for a job or they would send you for interviews or something, I didn't know they made people work for no pay! That's crazy!

Posted from TSR Mobile e
Reply 63
Original post by Kibalchich
Did I say it was slavery?

You have to stop this habit of putting words in my mouth. Its most unbecoming.

Did I say you said it was slavery?
You do know that's what we're talking about don't you?

It's what you're talking about, it's not what's happening.
Reply 65
Original post by Nick100
Did I say you said it was slavery?

So why are you going on about it to me?
Reply 66
..if you are physically unable to complete that work then you are likely disabled.

Who said anything about being "physically unable to complete the work"?

I said that a physically unfit 55 year old may find stacking shelves, lifting stock etc all day quite hard work, not that they were physically incapable of doing it. Being 55 years old and physically unfit does not render one "disabled".

"Being made to work" doesn't ring any bells whatsoever.

Well it should do because it has been pointed out to you on several occasions that that the DWP schemes have been ruled in a court of law to be, in effect, mandatory (as in compulsory, forced, 'made to' etc) and thus illegal, which is why Cait Reilly and Jamieson Wilson won their cases and why the government is seeking to apply retrospective legislation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Nick100
If someone farts in an elevator should we compare them to Hitler for gassing a room full of people?

Quite possibly the funniest thing I've read today!

Oh and for anyone who thinks working in poundland is slave labour, here's some photos of chinese factories which can easily be described as places where something close to slavery takes place. Please let me know where there's a poundland like this where people on benefits are forced to sleep on the floor there.

http://www.businessinsider.com/photos-china-toy-factories-2012-12?op=1

I mean really, get a grip. It's not slavery. Anyone who says it is clearly needs to read some history and learn about real slavery.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Futility

I said that a physically unfit 55 year old may find stacking shelves, lifting stock etc all day quite hard work, not that they were physically incapable of doing it. Being 55 years old and physically unfit does not render one "disabled".

Well it should do because it has been pointed out to you on several occasions that that the DWP schemes have been ruled in a court of law to be, in effect, mandatory (as in compulsory, forced, 'made to' etc) and thus illegal, which is why Cait Reilly and Jamieson Wilson won their cases and why the government is seeking to apply retrospective legislation.

You are either being deliberately obtuse or you are cognitively deficient.

And I don't think that somebody with those characteristics has ever been forced to stack shelves in Poundland. You should stop getting so annoyed, it's just the internet. You can't blame me for the fact that you choose to misunderstand basic terms. There's a big difference between being made to work and being told that if you don't work you won't receive money. The former implies force and a lack of choice, and isn't what is happening. Seeing things for what they actually are isn't a cognitive deficiency.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 69
It's what you're talking about, it's not what's happening.

People aren't being forced to work under threat of benefit sanctions? You're wrong.
Original post by Futility

I said that a physically unfit 55 year old may find stacking shelves, lifting stock etc all day quite hard work, not that they were physically incapable of doing it. Being 55 years old and physically unfit does not render one "disabled"

True, they may find it hard, but so could a physically unfit 20 year old. I don't see why finding something to be hard work is a problem?
Reply 71
And I don't think that somebody with those characteristics has ever been forced to stack shelves in Poundland. You should stop getting so annoyed, it's just the internet. You can't blame me for the fact that you choose to misunderstand basic terms. There's a big difference between being made to work and being told that if you don't work you won't receive money. The former implies force and a lack of choice, and isn't what is happening. Seeing things for what they actually are isn't a cognitive deficiency.

Ahhhh, you're one of those "freedom to starve" freaks. That explains it.
People aren't being forced to work under threat of benefit sanctions? You're wrong.

But that's not what you originally said, is it?
Reply 73
But that's not what you originally said, is it?

Yes it is. Are you drunk?
Ahhhh, you're one of those "freedom to starve" freaks. That explains it.

Ahhhh, you're one of those "freedom to steal" freaks. That explains it.
Reply 75
Classic TSR, ending up a debate over the dictionary and wikipedia.

Seriously, OP, to compare this to Nazi forced labour is ridiculous and offensive.
Yes it is. Are you drunk?

No, I can read though, and that's not what you said.
Reply 77
Original post by gateshipone
True, they may find it hard, but so could a physically unfit 20 year old. I don't see why finding something to be hard work is a problem?

The context of that comment is that it was a response to the claim made by venenecinema, in post 55 of this thread, that the Macmillan dictionary definition of slave labour i.e. "hard work that is done by people who are forced to work for no money or for very little money", does not apply to the mandatory work scheme because "Stacking shelves in poundland is not hard in any possible sense of the word."
Reply 78
Ahhhh, you're one of those "freedom to steal" freaks. That explains it.

What on earth?!?!?
Reply 79
No, I can read though, and that's not what you said.

I'll quote what I said.

"So being made to work for below minimum wage doesn't ring some bells there?"

Tell me how this isn't happening.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending