The Student Room Group

Η Ελληνική Κοινωνία

Γεια παιδιά!

This society is for all Greeks, Greek Cypriots, Greek-speakers, members of the Greek diaspora and just anyone interested in the Greek culture and language to connect.

I'd prefer to keep it related to so-called 'modern' Greece language and culturewise, but since the past looms especially large in Greece, if your appreciation extends to those hazy ancient days, then you're still welcome!

Write in English, Greek or romanized Greek, whatever you like!

Εγώ σπουδάζω Νέα Ελληνικά στο πανεπιστήμιο (ΚCL). Ενδιαφέρομαι για την (νε&#945:wink: ελληνική φιλολογία και την γλώσσα...

Τα λέμε :biggrin:

Μέλη
gringalet
Michelin Man
Exo ksexasei poios einai to allos melos :redface: mou steile ena minima parakalw!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Γεια!! i go to corfu every summer with my family and it's great! greece rocks, the people rock, the culture rocks, the food GOD does it rock - i've got a tzatziki addiction hehehe

:biggrin:
Reply 2
I got an A in GCSE Ancient Greek!
Reply 3
Mr. Jim
Γεια!! i go to corfu every summer with my family and it's great! greece rocks, the people rock, the culture rocks, the food GOD does it rock - i've got a tzatziki addiction hehehe

:biggrin:

Ah, I've been to Corfu about 5 times now. It is a fantastic place, despite being ultra-touristy. When you go inland it's truly lovely. Where do you usually stay in Corfu?
Reply 4
gringalet
Ah, I've been to Corfu about 5 times now. It is a fantastic place, despite being ultra-touristy. When you go inland it's truly lovely. Where do you usually stay in Corfu?

yeah it does get a bit touristy in places, we went down south 3 years ago for the day coz my brother was staying with his friends in kavos and i couldnt believe how different it was!
we go to the N-E coast and stay in a bay called aghios stefanos, it's been nicknamed kensington-on-sea coz it's full of toffs who go every year :rolleyes:
i do get sad tho when every year there are more and more villas and appartments appearing everywhere... methinks it's gonna end up like ibiza or benidorm :frown:
Reply 5
Mr. Jim
yeah it does get a bit touristy in places, we went down south 3 years ago for the day coz my brother was staying with his friends in kavos and i couldnt believe how different it was!
we go to the N-E coast and stay in a bay called aghios stefanos, it's been nicknamed kensington-on-sea coz it's full of toffs who go every year :rolleyes:
i do get sad tho when every year there are more and more villas and appartments appearing everywhere... methinks it's gonna end up like ibiza or benidorm :frown:

Hmm, it sounds familiar that place...I've stayed in Dassia, Kalami and Kassiopi, so same kind of area. Haven't been for a couple of years though, because when my family decided they wanted to go, I had exams :frown:
Reply 6
gringalet
Hmm, it sounds familiar that place...I've stayed in Dassia, Kalami and Kassiopi, so same kind of area. Haven't been for a couple of years though, because when my family decided they wanted to go, I had exams :frown:

aye, we're kinda twixt kassiopi and kalami :smile:
Juno
I got an A in GCSE Ancient Greek!

I got A*, so eat that! :smile:

Unfortunately I don't think Ancient Greek bears too much resemblance to Modern Greek (can you read Old English?)... but hey, I still know my alphabet. And I can swear quite a bit in Modern Greek, even if the only useful thing I can say is yeia sou. And I can't even be bothered finding character map for the Greek characters. Ah well. :smile:
Reply 8
generalebriety
I got A*, so eat that! :smile:

Unfortunately I don't think Ancient Greek bears too much resemblance to Modern Greek (can you read Old English?)... but hey, I still know my alphabet. And I can swear quite a bit in Modern Greek, even if the only useful thing I can say is yeia sou. And I can't even be bothered finding character map for the Greek characters. Ah well. :smile:
Yeah, good comparison. I think the ancient language is more similar to the modern than is quite the case with English, but it's not as if you can automatically speak modern Greek if you know Ancient, or vice versa. I think koine Greek is easier for modern speakers to understand though.
Reply 9
how are you typing the greek out?? do you type in the romanised and it converts it for you? :confused:
Reply 10
Me? I change the language setting on my laptop to EL (Greek) and it changes the keyboard. You can do it with more or less all languages - if you change it to German it gives you ä etc in place of ' and things like that.

Kai pou einai kathenas?!
Reply 11
*pokes head in* eimai edho :smile:

my parents are in corfu atm, it's been raining a canny bit, hehe, meanwhile i've been sunbathing in the garden every day this week!
Reply 12
Hello everyone from sunny and VERY warm Cyprus!!!
Reply 13
Hello from Cyprus as well!!
Reply 14
Hello from Thessaloniki, Greece!:smile:
i'm greek cypriot do i count?
Reply 16
Of course, they're both just the same, aren't they? :wink:
Reply 17
gringalet
Yeah, good comparison. I think the ancient language is more similar to the modern than is quite the case with English, but it's not as if you can automatically speak modern Greek if you know Ancient, or vice versa. I think koine Greek is easier for modern speakers to understand though.

(at bold) haha very true! my (ancient) greek teacher lived in greece for 2 years and became almost fluent, and when he took us to greece for school trips he always spoke greek, but not as well as he used to. One time he had to ring the police (cant remember why now) and he kind of slipped back into ancient greek, and he said they were all laughing at him down the phone lol :biggrin: bless him.

I did ancient greek a level, but i've also just finished a year long course of modern greek in my gap year. i loved it, it's been so much fun!! :biggrin:
Reply 18
sidekick
i've also just finished a year long course of modern greek in my gap year. i loved it, it's been so much fun!! :biggrin:

i would love to do this. where did you go? have you got any links?
Reply 19
R.J.A
i would love to do this. where did you go? have you got any links?

It was at the Centre for Lifelong Learning, which is in Newcastle but technically part of the University of Sunderland. Not much good to you in the Wirral lol... :redface: :smile: It was great though, was over 3 terms and my teacher was Greek herself, and we were assessed etc too, which I liked (was really easy lol). And we had Greek feasts at the end of terms and did a presentation at the end of this term.

Quick Reply