The Student Room Group

Can i receive student finance while on Universal credit and PIP?

Hi all!
So I'm in the first year of studying a degree, but am on universal credit and PIP, and claim housing benefit for the addiction service i live in. I did not claim for student finance for my first year as i would told my benefits would be taken away, however i know someone on my course who receives this but I'm unsure if this is actually possible. I am looking to move into rented accommodation which i don't know if i will be able to get housing benefit for or will i have to get a part time job?
Reply 1
Did you get any update on this. I’m in a similar situation but have been assessed as not being capable to work or do work related activities. I’m eligible for £3790 maintenance from student finance per year. Because of this UC are deducting £500 a month from me. Meaning I will have to get a part time job even tho they assessed me as being completely unable to work!!!
Basically you are entitled to UC if you were claiming g UC with LWCRA and PIP before you started studying.

Student income is deducted £ for £ from your Universal credit as unearned income after a monthly study vs expenses allowance of £110.

So if you receive UC with the following amounts (for example only:

Basic element: £300
LCWRA element: £400
Rent element: £450

Total UC credit: £1150

Student Maintenance loan: for whole year £8500

This is decided by the number of assessment periods your course covers (usually 9)
= £945 per month - £110
= £835 deductions for student income

So total UC paid would be £265 per month.

Only the “main” part of your maintenance loan is counted, so if you receive the support part that isn’t taken into account. Your student award letter usually tells you how much of your loan is taken into account for benefits, you need to provide UC with this to make sure they calculate it right, they are notorious for not getting student income right!
Original post by em141004
Did you get any update on this. I’m in a similar situation but have been assessed as not being capable to work or do work related activities. I’m eligible for £3790 maintenance from student finance per year. Because of this UC are deducting £500 a month from me. Meaning I will have to get a part time job even tho they assessed me as being completely unable to work!!!

Are you sure that’s per year and not for each instalment?
Reply 4
Ye deffo per year due to my parents income who I live with. However i dont understand how DWP /SFE will allow me to loose so much. Cant believe that my brothers part time job (he starts uni in sept too) wont be taken in to consideration yet i cannot work!
Reply 5

if you're incapable to work, you'd be incapable of being a student.
Reply 6
Original post by jmachin6
if you're incapable to work, you'd be incapable of being a student.

Not really as work is shifts- my parents work full time they can’t come out of work at 2pm to take me for a 3pm shift. University put measures in place which make it capable for me to attend- totally different from work. They also allow me to do study from home. You don’t know me, neither do you know my circumstances. I have worked since I was 13 and until 18. I am now unable to do as I cannot cope in the environment. Work & uni are completely different. I asked for advice not ur opinion.
Reply 7
Not really as work is shifts- my parents work full time they can’t come out of work at 2pm to take me for a 3pm shift. University put measures in place which make it capable for me to attend- totally different from work. They also allow me to do study from home. You don’t know me, neither do you know my circumstances. I have worked since I was 13 and until 18. I am now unable to do as I cannot cope in the environment. Work & uni are completely different. I asked for advice not ur opinion.

It's not my opinion. It's the way the benefits see it..you can work from home. You can do certain jobs if you can study, that's how they will see itm you can't say you can study and say you can't work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending