The Student Room Group

My Hamster is very ill! Help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beccagood95
I think she might be dead....
I went over to give her the meds this morning , and I tapped her but she wouldn't move. I played with her bedding and even poured a bit of water on her, but she wouldn't move. And she was sleeping oddly in her bedding anyway, usually she'd bury herself but she was pretty exposed.
She seemed fine yesterday, she was moving around and now...
I can't even bare to look properly. I want to wait for my boyfriend to come over and check because he promised he would if it happened but he's at tae kwon do training and I don't know how long he's going to be and if he's going to be too tired afterwards...

So sorry to hear that :frown:

What sometimes happens with animals and people is that before they die, they have a period of time beforehand where it looks like they're getting better; I think it's just the body's way of trying to sort itself out. If she hasn't moved and feels stiff then I think she has... :frown: Big hugs <333
Ask him to ensure she is dead before you bury her hun-I've had experiences where I've almost thought an animal is dead when it isn't!
So sorry to hear it though-on behalf of animal lovers thank you for caring enough an doing your best-the world needs more people who respect little animals :smile:

Did she become bloated at all?Was her belly rounded and did she have any discharge?
I'm just asking because a hamster I used to have had a womb infection once and she got those symptoms.
Reply 22
Original post by sugarmouse

Did she become bloated at all?Was her belly rounded and did she have any discharge?
I'm just asking because a hamster I used to have had a womb infection once and she got those symptoms.

Yeah, she had gotten skinny on top and had a big round belly, and when she was at the vet, the vet squeezed a little bit and pus flew everywhere. :/
I'm just so upset, I would never have wanted her to go this way...
I would have wanted her to go as long as she could and to have died peacefully from old age, rather than being in pain.
That's exactly what happened to my little Sugarmunch.

Hun you did your best. Hamsters are one of the most mistreated and neglected pets ever-people buy them for little kids who treat them as toys for few weeks then forget about them. People hurt them drop them ignore them forget to feed them or put them in tiny cages and forget they exist-or keep them in pairs because they don't know or care about their solitary needs. You gave this little girl a good life which is far more than most of these furbabies get,and her death is only a very small part of that. She had painkillers toward the end anyway which will have helped.
My hamster rescuing 'career' was trial and error and sometimes things go wrong. The only thing that made me feel any better was raising awareness. Perhaps start a blog about hamsters and their needs and serve to raise awareness of this very common issue and generally how to enjoy and care for hamsters. Or wait until the pain isn't so raw and rescue another one from an animal shelter.
Keep in mind how happy and safe her life was up until this point.

PM me if you want xxx
Reply 24
:console: I'm really sorry to hear that :frown:

At least you gave her a good life and you tried your best to help her get better when she was sick. Like Sugarmouse said, she sounds like she had a much better life than many hamsters that are bought for children or are kept in tiny cages and don't have owners as caring as you.
Reply 25
Thanks guys. :smile:

I feel a little bit better, although every time a family member comes in I start crying again...:colondollar:
And we have guests over for Sunday dinner, I know I'll have to go downstairs but I don't really feel like it. :/ There's a 3 year old and I don't really want to mention to her why I'm upset.
Reply 26
Sorry to hear about your hamster :frown: It sounds like you really loved and cared for her and thats more than a lot of hamsters get. Also you tried your best and took her to the vet, but sometimes we just can't help our animals. I hope you feel better soon and remember the good times with her x
Reply 27
My boyfriend got home from his tae kwon do, and said that he couldn't come over because he was too tired, he was having dinner in 30 minutes and he had homework to do, and it kind of upset me because he promised me he would do it. Apparently the hamster hasn't died at a time convenient enough for him...

The fact that he couldn't come wasn't what bothered me though.When I started mentioning how upset I was about it and that he was showing no sympathy for me at all, I said I was going to break up with him because I just couldn't believe his attitude, and I'd never seen him act like that before, (he was being really rude to me) so he said "I'll see what I can do" and then I asked him what it was he could do and he goes "Actually, I don't care." and then "You're 17 years old, by now you should be brave enough to deal with a dead hamster."

It's not that I'm squeamish about dead things, it's that it's that animal I cared about for 9 months.
I'm really upset right now. :frown:

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
My boyfriend got home from his tae kwon do, and said that he couldn't come over because he was too tired, he was having dinner in 30 minutes and he had homework to do, and it kind of upset me because he promised me he would do it. Apparently the hamster hasn't died at a time convenient enough for him...

The fact that he couldn't come wasn't what bothered me though.When I started mentioning how upset I was about it and that he was showing no sympathy for me at all, I said I was going to break up with him because I just couldn't believe his attitude, and I'd never seen him act like that before, (he was being really rude to me) so he said "I'll see what I can do" and then I asked him what it was he could do and he goes "Actually, I don't care." and then "You're 17 years old, by now you should be brave enough to deal with a dead hamster."

It's not that I'm squeamish about dead things, it's that it's that animal I cared about for 9 months.

This will sound a bit harsh but, you have to get a grip.

You were the one that cared for the hamster, worried about it and are now grieving for it - this is just the final thing you have to do, and it should be you and not your boyfriend to do it. I know people deal with things in different ways, but when my guinea pig died I wanted it to be me and me alone who dealt with her and buried her, since she'd been such a great pet to just me. I was really upset but I knew I wanted to make sure I did everything right for her, and handled her properly and delicately.

Trust me, giving your little friend a nice send off will help a lot :smile:
Reply 29

Your bf sounds a bit callous with that remark.Yes you are 17 but your pet has just died and of course you are upset and cant bring yourself to touch her.Your hamster was very well looked after, and it's sad that she is dead but go to her and pick her up on last time.Say good bye and then bury her in the garden.Maybe you could get a plant to put on top of where you bury her as a memory to her.
I am a lot older than you and I would have expected the same from my boyfriend. I wish I could say I was easily able to go and pick up my dead furry friends and see to them myself but I am not comfortable with it-I like to remember them as they were and I don't see the point in upsetting myself.
However given that he is like this, I wouldn't have trusted him with her body anyway.
Reply 31
Original post by ninth2
This will sound a bit harsh but, you have to get a grip.

You were the one that cared for the hamster, worried about it and are now grieving for it - this is just the final thing you have to do, and it should be you and not your boyfriend to do it. I know people deal with things in different ways, but when my guinea pig died I wanted it to be me and me alone who dealt with her and buried her, since she'd been such a great pet to just me. I was really upset but I knew I wanted to make sure I did everything right for her, and handled her properly and delicately.

Trust me, giving your little friend a nice send off will help a lot :smile:

It's okay, I don't want him to touch her after some of the names he called me and how he didn't really seem to care about her anyway...
I'm going to bury her in the garden. :smile:
so sorry to hear about your hamster.

If it makes you feel any better I'm 24 and I still get my boyfriend to pick up the dead animals. It really upsets me to feel them all stiff and cold like that, makes it more difficult to remember them as the happy active little critters they were during life.

It sounds like you really loved your hamster and you obviously cared for her a lot to see a vet, which many owners wouldn't. Just try to focus on what a lovely life she had with you.
Reply 33
Gosh I know how you feel. My 17 month old gerbil passed away on the 19th. He was just lying at the bottom of his cage and he was rather thinner than he used to be in his prime. I tried to bottle feed him some food but sadly he was already getting cold. I did everything to keep him warm but sadly it was just his time. I tried to revive him but to no avail. I buried him in the garden the next day.

He left behind his brother, who I introduced to his own son and they both got on instantly. The gerbil who passed away also had 3 sons, one who looks like him, so he has left behind a great legacy.

You will always remember them, but the pain will get easier to deal with over time. She is in a better place now, or at least it helps me to believe that when it happens to my animals. Do not worry, you did your best.

Quick Reply

Latest