The Student Room Group

Is pedophilia a sexuality?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iamyourfather
There's an institution for pedophiles in America where pedophiles are forced to rehabilitate (it's commonly called "A place for pedophiles). Very few leave and become civilized members of society. This begs the question: Why do so many stay in such an institution? Can they not control their urges? It is a form of sexuality?

I have heard about this, many stay through choice and whilst that's sad because they clearly feel a lot of guilt and I believe no malice, (if they intended to abuse children they wouldn't chose to stay) it's better than a child being at risk.

I recommend reading Lolita, it's a fascinating book.
oh, it's definitely a sexuality, it's probably most accurately classified as a sexual paraphilia, some people call it an orientation, that's less accurate.
As for mental disorder? I don't think it is a mental disorder, unless sadomasochism, zoophilia are labeled mental disorders.
and also, pedophiles have done no action, so there's nothing to condone/ or not condone, you're talking about child rapists not pedophiles.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by ncsoftlover

As for mental disorder? I don't think it is a mental disorder, unless sadomasochism, zoophilia are labeled mental disorders.

The DSM V that is forthcoming very soon still diagnoses it as a disorder, in fact it is being renamed from simply "pedophilia" to "pedophilic disorder" just to make it clear. So looks like it is.
Original post by Tahooper
Paedophilia is just like homosexuality in that you can't control who you are sexually attracted to and I really feel sorry for people who are sexually attracted to kids because they can't help it and probably feel like monsters. Of course, it must be noted, I have no sympathy for paedophiles who actually go as far as sexually abusing children.

Fair point. I mean as most of us guys on here are straight, we don't exactly go out and abuse women just because we happen to find them attractive
Original post by ufo2012
The DSM V that is forthcoming very soon still diagnoses it as a disorder, in fact it is being renamed from simply "pedophilia" to "pedophilic disorder" just to make it clear. So looks like it is.

the "official definition" is not something that I really pay much attention to, since homosexuality was once considered a mental illness by that official definition. For the purpose of convenience, they obviously like to classify groups which the public's share negative opinions on as mentally disordered groups, it's the way it's always been, it's easiest way to go at it, but also perhaps the most ineffective way.
Original post by WaceMindu
I realise that... but to LABEL any child who is attracted to someone of their own age a paedophile is like I said, semantics gone crazy.

well that's the western society's pedophilia paranoia for you, one of the most annoying trend observed in the 21st century so far.
Original post by ufo2012
Sounds very similar to what ppl claim about homosexuality

The difference being that homosexuals enter relationships with consenting adults and it is not a crime, paedophiles are attracted to people who cannot give consent as they are too young, which is a crime they choose to commit if they act on those feelings.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 47
It clearly depends on how we define a 'sexuality'. I Googled it to find a definition:
Google
Noun
1. Capacity for sexual feelings.
2. A person's sexual orientation or preference.

The sense in which we're discussing it is the second one. Paedophilia is a sexual preference and by this definition it is therefore also a sexuality. Whether it is also a paraphilia depends - we do not know even how abnormal it is because it is so repressed that I expect people do not even admit it to themselves.

We need and must move away from a society that condemns paedophiles simply for existing and instead offers them counselling and care. We absolutely cannot continue to expect paedophiles to simply be abstinent whilst simultaneously allowing them to be so hated that they cannot even admit their existence. There must be avenues and outlets for them - burying our heads in the sand about it is a recipe for disaster and damages children's lives and society. We must distinguish between paedophiles and child abusers. We must recognise paedophiles as people and empathise with them. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to have to go through life alone and not even be able to tell anyone about it - to feel like an outcast in my own society. It's inhumane.
Original post by miser
It clearly depends on how we define a 'sexuality'. I Googled it to find a definition:

The sense in which we're discussing it is the second one. Paedophilia is a sexual preference and by this definition it is therefore also a sexuality. Whether it is also a paraphilia depends - we do not know even how abnormal it is because it is so repressed that I expect people do not even admit it to themselves.

We need and must move away from a society that condemns paedophiles simply for existing and instead offers them counselling and care. We absolutely cannot continue to expect paedophiles to simply be abstinent whilst simultaneously allowing them to be so hated that they cannot even admit their existence. There must be avenues and outlets for them - burying our heads in the sand about it is a recipe for disaster and damages children's lives and society. We must distinguish between paedophiles and child abusers. We must recognise paedophiles as people and empathise with them. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to have to go through life alone and not even be able to tell anyone about it - to feel like an outcast in my own society. It's inhumane.

well said, and such self repressive feeling of isolation (the feeling that you're not loved even your family would turn away from you if you told the truth) lead to further segregation from society, that will increase the chance of people committing crimes that they didn't have to.
Only if people are seen as monster will identify themselves as monsters, we as a society is better than that. We are all born with certain degree of self restraint, if pedophiles feels belonged and loved and a part of society, then they will realized there are certain social responsibilities they must uphold, which include not commit sexual offenses against children. But if we ignore their existence, and refuse to even look at them as human being, then we have ourselves to blame for much of the problems.
I think it should be classed as a sexuality. I don't think there is any treatment available either. I also believe we have no control over our sexuality. Therefore, paedophiles need to restrain there urges.

If there any paedophiles out there that do exercise restraint and never have and never will, I would have sympathy and respect for them. Sexual urges is something that are innate in all of us. Everyone will have difficulty controlling them at some point so any paedophiles out there that hold back deserve our empathy. Not for holding back on molesting children, but for having to live throughout life with impulses which can never be satisfied. To a certain extent, this type of paedophile thinking, could be described as a sacrifice? Do you agree/disagree?

Protecting innocent children is the most important thing. If you are unfortunate enough to be attracted to children, you must never act on your urges. It is right that we punish paedophiles harshly even though, they have no control over their own feelings. You lose my respect and sympathy when you act on your urges.

I hope I have not come across as pro paedos. The point I am trying to make is that I feel sorry for people who are attracted to children, that it is not their fault, but at the same time, they have a responsibility to never act on their feelings.

Also, I am not 100% sure how I would react if I met an open paedophile in person who has decided to never act on their urges. In reality, I would probably be disgusted and would want to steer clear.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending