The Student Room Group

Societies

Dear Guys

I would be attending the university in September 2013, following a recommendation from friend I would be joining some societies and clubs, in sports badminton and cricket and in societies debating and investment, I was wondering how many people are normally participate in societies especially sports are sports clubs jam packed with 100s of people or just 10s-15s.

Reason for asking is that i am beginner in badminton (took up last year and absolutely enjoy it) and very rusty in cricket(played 4 years ago as my school stooped doing it year 10), i don't want go and end up making fool of myself in front of 100s of people. i am very nervous .

have any of you been in this situation or participate in sports clubs?

Thanks

Mty
The number of members will depend entirely on the club in question.

However, all sports clubs take total beginners (many find that a majority of their new members are total novices), and they will get you to play against others of a similar ability / experience. Normally clubs have first / second / third teams etc., and sometimes a 'social' team too - those who don't want to play competitively. You'll sometimes find multiple clubs within a university for a given sport - the uni team for those who want to train a lot and play in BUCS Leagues against other unis, and course / halls teams for the less talented / committed.

No one is going to laugh at you, and I'm sure you'll be able to find a team that you like :smile:
Reply 2
Dear Origami

Sorry for late reply, I have been little busy. Thank you for you post i genuinely appreciate ,its comforting to know that majority of society members would be novices.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending