The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by AvocatDuDiable
Yes, because I really give a damn about some sad act who goes on 4chan and calls people faggots for having a shred of decency.

Original post by wildbluesun
Wait, agreeing with me makes someone a white knight?

...Anyone who thinks along roughly the same lines as me is a white knight?

Sensible.

Stop rating people out of 10? u wot m8?

surly no srs.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 61
I don't want to spam/disrupt anyone else's thread, but I've seen a couple threads like this, it seems to be a common thing that people do on the internet, and I just find it so incredibly dehumanising, rude, degrading, etc etc...

You know what I mean - where people look at someone and say "she is a 6" or "he is an 8.5" or whatever, and try to give people's appearance an objective rating.

I think it's awful, and every time I see it I cringe inside. Firstly, because reducing someone down to just their physical attributes is just so shallow. There's a lot more to everyone than just their appearance. How attractive someone is can be down to so many things - the way they move, the sound of their voice, the look they give you, the style of their clothes - and rating people from a few snapshots on the internet cannot encapsulate all of that. Also, because it's a number rating, and normally phrased like "(s)he is a [number]", it's phrased like this is the ONLY important thing about them. Not "I don't like her face but her body is beautiful" or anything like that. It's shrinking the entirety of a person's physical and mental attractiveness down to a single number, and that's not the way it works.

Secondly, because there can be no objective scale for beauty - eye of the beholder and all that - and this kind of conversation implies that there is some kind of proper scale out there with, I don't know, Helen of Troy at the top and a frog at the bottom and a whole lot of other reference points in between. That's not the way it is. Different people find different things attractive.

Thirdly, because it's just not a nice thing to do; imagine if you found a thread full of people on the internet arguing over your Facebook profile picture and trying to decide if you were a 6 or a 7. Unless you're far more self-confident than I am, it probably wouldn't feel very nice. There's a lot more to you than just your face, and there are very few circumstances out there where it would be appropriate to judge people entirely on their appearance.

IMO, the only time it makes sense is if you're actually trying to order people by physical attraction, like if you were trying to decide who to put on the cover of a new fashion magazine you're starting, or something. But how often is someone's appearance the only important thing about them? To look at a photograph of someone on the internet and go "I can reduce your entire personality and appearance down to a single number, and that number is FIVE" - or whatever number it is?

I really, really don't like it, and I think we should all stop.

End of ramble. Peace out. <3

Seconded.
Reply 62
The hypocrisy of the OP is unfathomable, she is willing to post her pictures on an internet forum, even lingerie shots, but is completely against the rating system, look nobody really gives two ****s at the end of the day about the rating system, it is just something some people use, besides I'm ONLY against the rating system when it is USED on people without their PERMISSION. Rating celebrities etc so be it, they get criticised all the time so probably don't give a **** about what happens on a student forum.

Rating people out of 10 never changes anything in the course of events, tell me one massive negative impact the rating system has had on people, except for insecure people who post photos expecting more then they get.

Spoiler

If I discovered a thread on the net where somebody was arguing that I was a 7, I'd be flattered....

But no, I agree with your main point :colondollar:

Edit: Just read the entire thread. Op you lost all credibility when you started posting lingerie shots and bragging about being a model. Shameless attempt at ego boosting. You're pathetic.
(edited 11 years ago)
OP, regardless of whether or not I agree, people are always going to do this. Instead of asking them to stop you should use it to gauge how much you respect them, get an idea of their personality.
Original post by Robbie242

also modelling isn't a real career, well done you can strip half naked/be fully clothed a do a few poses super talented 101

So, tell us about YOUR amazing career and precisely what amazing talents you use?
This is the best post on TSR I've seen for a while. I find it incredibly irritating - and especially when they do it about another person, not themselves.
Reply 67
Original post by ComeWhatMay
So, tell us about YOUR amazing career and precisely what amazing talents you use?
16 years old but got an internship this summer with barclays and take academic interest in Mathematics and Economics, all modeling requires you to be born with good-looking/attractive features, so when they can't give education a go they turn to their body and face to make cash, quite skillful (sarcasm)

Also I am not stating education is be-all and end all, I respect singers even if they drop out of school who are talented, modeling however is different
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 68
Is it possible to die from overwhelming irony? The fact that the OP makes a wall of text about judging people on looks then posts pictures of herself in "model-mode"? But wait, not just pictures! Pictures in UNDERWEAR!

Either this is an exceptional troll fail, or the whole purpose of this thread was to display those photos. To show off or get attention, or what? No idea. I have to laugh at it, though. Huge part of me thinks she posted about rating people to draw in the swathes who no doubt agree, then BLAM! "Sexy" photos. There's a whole Internet out there for these kinds of photos, trying to scrape together some attention here is a bit pointless.
When I'm not studying, I work as a model. I literally make a living being judged on my looks. And partially because being judged on my looks is a very important aspect of one part of my life, I'm come to realise how shallow and unfair that type of judgement is in other parts of my life.

Anyway, this is me.

mudita_aeron_iii_by_tansyblue-d55asmu.jpg

eoghan_brennan_ii_by_tansyblue-d4td0ci.jpg

michael_james_i_by_tansyblue-d4skzyp.jpg

Lingerie shots - possibly NSFW.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9jok7G4eb1rs5q1co1_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m18poxhCqn1rs5q1co1_1280.jpg

Thanks for the fap material! :borat: :dice:

P.S. 6/10 - Nice body, but your nose is ENORMOUS :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. :P I suck at sarcasm.

Anyway, you're probably a feminist.
http://www.areyouafeminist.com/

Oooo, I hate it when people think like this. That the only reason you could think a system or convention is unfair is because it disadvantages you, as opposed to seeing the inherent injustice in the system/convention.

When I'm not studying, I work as a model. I literally make a living being judged on my looks. And partially because being judged on my looks is a very important aspect of one part of my life, I'm come to realise how shallow and unfair that type of judgement is in other parts of my life.

Anyway, this is me.

Its probably already been said but

6/10 Would bang
Tbh, I don't really see the problem, and I do really believe in the "personality > looks" thing. I don't personally do it, but I do see people and think "he's attractive/he's not attractive". A number is slightly shallow, but it's just an expression of words really into a number.

I don't agree when people are like "under 6/10 I would not bang", actually telling a real person their number etc. because of the p>l beliefs (and its just a little nasty), but as a general way of just saying "hot/not hot" to yourself, then it's harmless. Though maybe I'm missing the bigger picture.
16 years old but got an internship this summer with barclays and take academic interest in Mathematics and Economics, all modeling requires you to be born with good-looking/attractive features, so when they can't give education a go they turn to their body and face to make cash, quite skillful (sarcasm)

Also I am not stating education is be-all and end all, I respect singers even if they drop out of school who are talented, modeling however is different

You got an internship in Barclays? Congrats, is this in Canary Wharf/// or what kind of division are you interning in? (I don't know much about banking)

Also, I agree with the op's intentions, but I thought it kinda went a bit awkward when she went posted her pictures.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by anonymouspie227
You got an internship about Barclays? Congrats, is this in Canary Wharf/// or what kind of division are you interning in? (I don't know much about banking)

Also, I agree with the op's intentions, but I thought it kinda went a bit awkward when she went posted her pictures.
Agreed! and yeah, possibly could be Canary Wharf, don't know yet its part of the careers academy programme, but soon enough I'll be told where I'm going :biggrin:
I would love them to get me to do something involving maths, only one could hope.

And yeah haha, at first I agreed, but the thing is I only agree when its a personal infringement on someones privacy, e.g. uploading it without their permission then asking for /10, that is disgusting, but for celebrities I don't think they could give two ****s. OP is a bit of a hypocrite
Reply 74
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. :P I suck at sarcasm.

Anyway, you're probably a feminist.
http://www.areyouafeminist.com/

Oooo, I hate it when people think like this. That the only reason you could think a system or convention is unfair is because it disadvantages you, as opposed to seeing the inherent injustice in the system/convention.

Anyway, this is me.

Why would you just post lingerie pictures of yourself... you're basically telling the dog not to **** on the carpet but then feeding it laxatives
No, I can't stop.

It's takes less effort and is more specific than saying 'she's pretty/hot' or 'she's not pretty/hot'.
Whilst I agree beauty is often subjective, it is wrong to say there aren't universal characteristics and appearances which most find attractive.
Agreed! and yeah, possibly could be Canary Wharf, don't know yet its part of the careers academy programme, but soon enough I'll be told where I'm going :biggrin:
I would love them to get me to do something involving maths, only one could hope.

And yeah haha, at first I agreed, but the thing is I only agree when its a personal infringement on someones privacy, e.g. uploading it without their permission then asking for /10, that is disgusting, but for celebrities I don't think they could give two ****s. OP is a bit of a hypocrite

Ah, I see. Well, that is very good, good for you!! :biggrin: Ha, well, I hope your dream of getting involved in maths is fulfilled! :biggrin:

I think it's disgusting if a person were to do it without permission. Completely....And, it can be a bit cruel to do, even if they are a celebrity. Likewise, so many amazing, incredible people are famous, do these people deserve to be rated, even with everything they've done. Does anybody deserve to be rated solely on their looks? However, it's all a bit of fun, and I'm sure nobody takes the stuff seriously/ means to be mean. So, i guess its not that big a deal.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by `Jts
Yeah forreal. We should start rating people out of 5, much better!

This has a lot of potential actually, the whole 10-point scale thing is kinda flawed in that some people never give people below a 5 etc. and only give people either a 6, 7, 8, or 9. I think a 5-point scale would eliminate this, only problem with a 5-pointer is that these people will probably give everyone a 3 or a 4, I dunno..

Firstly, I disagree with your assumptions and generalisations about models.

Secondly, credit to you for actually having a decent response to my question; makes your previous comment marginally more acceptable.

Thirdly, "take academic interest in maths and economics" just makes you sound pretentious and full of yourself. The internship is an achievement on which I congratulate you, being interested in maths is not.

Your achievements may be impressive, but your attitude leaves much to be desired.

Latest