The Student Room Group

If done properly is the pull out method effective against pregnancy

Having sex for the first time with my bf, he hates condoms and I don't wanna go on the pill, he said he can pull out easily, is this effective against pregnancy?

Scroll to see replies

No.

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Is+the+pull-out+method+effective%3F

That link provides all the handy answers.
No, it's genuinely for idiots who don't know how sex works, or people who are just lying and want to get pregnant.
Reply 3
The problem is that it's really difficult to do correctly which is why the failure rate is so high 20-25%

The failure rate is people who thought they'd do it correctly but in fact didn't

IMO Try using some good quality extra sensitive condoms which are much better than the basic ones from pub vending machines.
Original post by Joinedup
The problem is that it's really difficult to do correctly which is why the failure rate is so high 20-25%

The failure rate is people who thought they'd do it correctly but in fact didn't

IMO Try using some good quality extra sensitive condoms which are much better than the basic ones from pub vending machines.

That sounds incredibly optimistic. Bear in mind any data will be skewed by people lying and hiding how stupid they were.
Original post by Anonymous
Having sex for the first time with my bf, he hates condoms and I don't wanna go on the pill, he said he can pull out easily, is this effective against pregnancy?

no he's being an idiot
I don't think either of you are ready to have sex tbh with such selfishness and poor grasp of sex education.
Reply 7
Bonkers, literally. Better than nothing, but highly unreliable and should never be risked unless your not averse to pregnancy
"At the point of ejaculation, there isn't a herd of wild ******* horses could make my arse go in that direction" ~ Billy Connolly
Genuinely stupid to even ask that question you put your own self at risk
Nope, absolutely useless.
It's just as effective at preventing pregnancy and std's as waving a pigeon feather or asking tinkerbell to magic away all possible risk.
Reply 11
Original post by londonmyst
Nope, absolutely useless.
It's just as effective at preventing pregnancy and std's as waving a pigeon feather or asking tinkerbell to magic away all possible risk.

If you wave it while still attached to the pigeon it can be very effective at keeping everyone away...
Reply 12
Original post by Admit-One
"At the point of ejaculation, there isn't a herd of wild ******* horses could make my arse go in that direction" ~ Billy Connolly

PRSOM
Original post by StriderHort
No, it's genuinely for idiots who don't know how sex works, or people who are just lying and want to get pregnant.

Or selfish men who don't want to wear a condom
Original post by Anonymous
Or selfish men who don't want to wear a condom

This is true.
Reply 15
The pearl clutching on this thread is so intense, I reckon it could turn coal into diamonds.
Reply 16
Original post by ThatOldGuy
No.

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Is+the+pull-out+method+effective%3F

That link provides all the handy answers.

According to your link its 96% effective over the course of a year.

Sounds pretty effective.
Reply 17
Original post by StriderHort

What proportion of pregnancies occur from sperm in pre-jizz, what proportion are from sperms in jizz?
Reply 18
Original post by Admit-One

"At the point of ejaculation, there isn't a herd of wild ******* horses could stop my arse go in that direction" ~ TiBFS
Original post by TiBFS
According to your link its 96% effective over the course of a year.

Sounds pretty effective.

It's really not. If you have sex when she's not on her period and ovulating, in the 5 days before hand you have a 10% chance of getting pregnant assuming someone is young and healthy. 30% on the day or the day before. Let's assume this young kid is doing the method absolutely perfectly.

If you're having regular sex, then each time they have sex when she is ovulating(Maybe the dude loves period sex - I don't know, in which case this would impact their odds if they only have sex when she's bleedy), there is a .4% chance conceiving in the 5 days prior and a 1.2% chance on the 2 days she's not.

If they have sex roughly 50 times in a year and they're only together a year, it is not unlikely she'll get pregnant.

If, on the other hand, the guy is like most who try the method and aren't great at it, those numbers quadruple. I feel pretty safe in thinking he hasn't illustrated his technique to a doctor and has no idea if he's doing it right or not - Most people who try it are in the '78% effective' range.

If he's part of that group, his odds more than quintuple to about 2.2% in the 5 days before and 6.6% in the day before and of. If he's not an expert in it, and they were together for a year and had regular sex, there is a very high likelihood of pregnancy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending