The Student Room Group

When did we get into this stupid phase of fat coddling?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Jmaguire

As for curvy or fat? Whatever, as long as they're happy but I don't think there are many who would rather be fat than skinny.
I think we should all just try and be healthy, it's hard to do but we should at least try, whatever body we get from that is fine.

No it's not "whatever as long as you're happy" it should be "whatever as long as your healthy"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Anime Lover
Thats ridiculous! I've given up on sizing. I got measured for my jeans and, by proper measurements, I'm a size 8, but in some shops size 6 clothes drop off me and there are times when size 14 tops barely fit. They should have a standardised sizing, and if people don't like it they should just accept their size or lose/gain weight accordingly.

It's pretty moronic. Standardised sizes (which are actually just sizes) would save so much time for sure.
Original post by Slumpy
It's pretty moronic. Standardised sizes (which are actually just sizes) would save so much time for sure.

I completely agree. If fat people aren't happy then it's their problem.
I hate RI sizing!!!!! If they make their sizes bigger than anywhere else, the least they could do is offer size 4s (which would be more like a 6-8 in any other shop.) As for Topshop, I own a size 12 coat that is only just big enough from there, and I also own size 6 trousers with loads of space. I don't get the obsession with sizing, surely people can tell if you look fat or thin without knowing your size, and some size 16s have nice figures and some size 8s don't. They should revert back to the old sizing. I've been tempted to write letters of complaint to RI before now D:
Reply 24
Original post by cambio wechsel
I think that for thousands of years and across a variety of countries and continents big was beautiful. It's the notion that thin is beautiful that's the comparatively recent arrival.

Not it hasn't...
Why? People should accept their size instead of being convinced that they're skinny! There's nothing wrong with people being a bigger size, but it's no use denying that they're bigger. I didn't mean to cause offense to larger people, there's nothing wrong with anyone's size unless it jeopardises their health :smile:
Reply 26
It's kind of like smokers saying yellow teeth and coughing is sexy.
Reply 27
Original post by cambio wechsel
I think that for thousands of years and across a variety of countries and continents big was beautiful. It's the notion that thin is beautiful that's the comparatively recent arrival.

I'd have to disagre. I remember a interesting article from quiet a few years ago which I found http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6247625.stm.

There was trend for slightly larger women in the 17th and 18th centuries - a trend typified by the paintings of Rubens - but demand for a slimmer waist was generally constant throughout the centuries.
Reply 28
So should Physical Education be stopped in schools because its a form of bullying?
Reply 29
It's a fair point. If people are fine being fat, fine. But denying whatever size you actually are? Plain stupid.
Original post by rcummins1
I find the saying "Real women have curves" quite annoying. Are you saying that naturally slight girls aren't 'real' women? They're simply trying to deflect the attention away from themselves because they can't handle the truth that they aren't attractive.

This brings up an entirely different debate of "what is curvy". In my opinion, I am curvy. I have hips, I have boobs, yet I am a size 8. When I was a size 20 I was called "curvy", which I was, but just on a larger scale (literally- I've kept the same shape). Oh, and I also have a personality! It manages to coexist with a slim figure- who knew!

People use "curvy" when they mean fat. And to be honest, big may well be beautiful, but in the majority of cases it sure as hell isn't healthy, and that's what's important in the real world.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Size 14... really?

Remember that size 14 was a lot different then, to what it is now. She's more of a 10... 12 at most.
Reply 32
Beauty is so subjective. What one person might find attractive will be viewed as hideous by another. Some people like skinny some people like big. Who cares as long as you're healthy and happy in your body :h:
Reply 33
Original post by Jmaguire
If I could be bothered I'd find sources for what I'm about to say but I really can't so Google it.

Fat was attractive most likely because food was scarce, it was a sign of wealth that you could afford all that food and gorge on it. When sugar was first introduced people ate so much their teeth rotted just to show they could afford to too. Now with food readily available it's shifted to thin. The reason we find certain things attractive lay in evolutionary psychology (and personal stuff also)
a hips to waist ratio of some 30%? not sure precisely is found attractive (child bearing hips and shows virility/health), having a symmetrical body is found attractive. Clear skin shows health etc crap like that that needs more studying to see why we find things attractive. So we see why people photoshop stuff to make them more attractive, because it sells, making the product with them look more attractive.

As for curvy or fat? Whatever, as long as they're happy but I don't think there are many who would rather be fat than skinny.
I think we should all just try and be healthy, it's hard to do but we should at least try, whatever body we get from that is fine.

Exactly. I was going to write that, but you've worded it better.

Original post by Wilfred Little
+1. Her bum is as flat as anything. Hardly the poster girl for "curves" :rolleyes:

She is actually very slim.

Her bum was not flat at all. Women in those days didn't do squats and HIT. :rolleyes: She had natural curves, not pumped up curves.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by pandabird
Her bum was not flat at all. Women in those days didn't do squats and HIT. :rolleyes: She had natural curves, not pumped up curves.

It's the bum of a pre-pubescent boy. Are pre-pubescent boys curvy?
Reply 35
Original post by Wilfred Little
It's the bum of a pre-pubescent boy. Are pre-pubescent boys curvy?

I think you should take down that Bowie avatar. You can't pull it off.

Original post by Anime Lover
I think it's quite sad that society felt the need to change clothes sizes as a result of people being so self-conscious about their size. River Island really annoys me... I have size 6 clothes from there that drop off me, and I'm definitely not a 6.

Really!? I have a size 6 pair of skinnies from RI and I can hardly walk in them they are so tight, and I'm a size 6/8!
Original post by pandabird
I think you should take down that Bowie avatar. You can't pull it off.

Really!? I have a size 6 pair of skinnies from RI and I can hardly walk in them they are so tight, and I'm a size 6/8!

Seriously? XD Maybe we're buying the wrong things! All of their skirts just hang off me but their sizes might vary on both sides of the spectrum. They're definitely inaccurate sizes, whether they're over or under what the actual size should be :tongue:
Original post by Tabzqt
x]

Do you think that girl with the 6 pack is attractive?

Personally I don't find either of them attractive but if I had to chose I'd pick the larger girl, the muscley girl in my opinion looks gross.

I think the larger but toned figures of Beyonce and Katy Perry are the nicest.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tabzqt
x

That's ridiculous, fair enough if you want to look fat but I don't get why these people should get all the compliments and people that actually work hard are criticised... The world is just full of immature, conceited idiots that don't want to face reality...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Popppppy
Do you think that girl with the 6 pack is attractive?

Personally I don't find either of them attractive but if I had to chose I'd pick the larger girl, the muscley girl in my opinion looks gross.

I think the larger but toned figures of Beyonce and Katy Perry are the nicest.

Doesn't matter that much to me. The main thing that makes me rage in that picture is all those people telling her she is fine the way she is, when actually she is extremely unhealthy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending