The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Module choice??

I have registered to start an Open Degree in October (after putting it off from last year in a panic and now regretting it) But can't decide whether to do DD131 in October 13 then overlapping with DSE141 in Feb 14 or just go for DD101 in October 13.
Anybody done or doing those modules that can let me know what they are like in terms of both content and workload? Or anybody else done overlapping modules? Any advice/opinons would be appreciated.

I did an openings course (Starting with Law) previously and really enjoyed it so my other level one module will be W100 but want to do some social science first.
Reply 1
DD131 is the first half of DD101, so whichever option you pick you'll be studying that. You need to think about whether psychology would interest you more than a broad overview of everything. So if you look at the course description for DD101 it's split into 3 topics, and each topic is dealt with in the first half (ie DD131 as well) and the second. They used to offer DD132 which was the second half of DD101, so reading that page will help you to see what you will be studying.

Did I make that too confusing?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Hi,
I'm studying for a psychology degree so I have studied DD131 and am currently studying DSE141. I think both are similar in terms of workload - I've found they both take around 5 - 10 hours a week (some weeks tend to have a slightly heavier workload than others). But you might find them quicker if you have already studied an openings course - a lot of the things that take up the time are activities on things like referencing, best ways to structure your notes, how you can use psychology in your career, simple things like calculations and independent variables etc.

Both modules have a very similar way of learning - you are reading your way through the textbook, with audiovisual material, forum discussions etc to aid your studying :smile:

DD131 is definitely more sociology based, whereas DSE141 is definitely psychology. I found DSE141 slightly more interesting :smile: But basically in DD131 you look at some basic sociological models, you do a study on a street near you looking at how people interact on the street etc, you look at how society is structured and how people connect to one another. In DSE141 you look at obedience, social learning, early attachment, and a bit of a look at neuropsychology and cognitive psychology. The main theme throughout the textbook in this course is what makes us behave how we do (i.e. the nature/nurture debate) - I liked this because it means all the chapters link up in a way to give you an overall impression of the debate :smile:

Hope this has helped and sorry for such a long answer! Any other questions feel free to ask :smile: But overall I'd highly recommend both modules :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest