The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL BASc Arts and Sciences 2023 offer holders

Anyone accepting offer as firm
Anyone going to the 27th April open day in person? I'm an international student so can't make it
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by lara1444
Anyone going to the 27th April open day in person? I'm an international student so can't make it

I'll probably be going as I'm a home student, it depends how my revision is going though. Which majors/modules have you guys chosen/thinking of choosing?
Reply 3
I am going on 27th

Original post by lara1444
Reply 4
I am planning on majoring in Sciences and Engineering and doing the Economics options

And then need to work out what I minor in
Original post by arialle
I'll probably be going as I'm a home student, it depends how my revision is going though. Which majors/modules have you guys chosen/thinking of choosing?
I'm planning on majoring in Cultures, haven't looked at the modules in detail yet but have been leaning towards philosophy, hbu?
Original post by arialle
:smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Hey i'm a current arts and sciences student going into second year. I major in health and environment and minor in societies. If you have any questions about basc, reply to this and let me know :smile:. Btw, on the BASc Instagram page, there are student reviews on year 1 modules so I would highly recommend reading those before making your module choices.
Reply 8
Thank you will be in touch after results
Reply 9
Original post by Batoool
Hey i'm a current arts and sciences student going into second year. I major in health and environment and minor in societies. If you have any questions about basc, reply to this and let me know :smile:. Btw, on the BASc Instagram page, there are student reviews on year 1 modules so I would highly recommend reading those before making your module choices.

Hello

Thank you for the offer of support/ help. Please can you tell me how strict they are with the pre-requisite for the modules. Interested in economics in particular where they ask for maths A*
Reply 10
Original post by Simba2012
Hello

Thank you for the offer of support/ help. Please can you tell me how strict they are with the pre-requisite for the modules. Interested in economics in particular where they ask for maths A*

Hey, I don’t have any personal experience on this since I met the prerequisites for my modules. I would recommend sending an email to the basc office (should be on the arts and sciences website). They usually reply within a few days and they’re quite friendly and happy to help.
Original post by Batoool

Hey, thank u sm for ur help! When do we choose our modules? Should we know before we start or will we have a few weeks to choose?
Reply 12
Hey from what I remember they sent a Google form sometime after results day where we submit out initial module choices and a few weeks before term you would choose your final module choices. You start your modules in the second week of term after freshers week and you still have the option to change them a few weeks into term.
The best advice I could give is be flexible! You might not be able to get all your module choices and it’s a common basc frustration that you get rejected from modules that get to full capacity because usually departments prioritise students from their own degree. Keep a few module back-ups so if you get rejected, you already have some alternative options. For any sciences & eng/health and environment major students I would deffo recommend checking prerequisites for 2nd and 3rd year modules that you’re interested in before choosing 1st year ones.

(Original post by Anonymous)Hey, thank u sm for ur help! When do we choose our modules? Should we know before we start or will we have a few weeks to choose?
Reply 13
Original post by Batoool

Hi, I am interested in the Basc. I was wondering, what your contact hours are like as you are studying the exact same things as I would like to study. Also I have heard that the Core content is a bit crap as in wishy-washy and not really much value in the whole "interdisiplinary" aspect. What is your opinion on this? Thank you!
Reply 14
Hey, so in BASc you will have 8 modules in total (usually the structure is like this: 3 modules in term 1, 4 in term 2 and your language module runs over both term 1 &2) it’s pretty typical for each module to have 2 hours worth of lectures in the week and depending on the type of module (usually social sciences/humanities) they would also have a seminar which is an hour-long. Your language module is always a 2 hour class per week in term 1&2, some classes like Japanese or Arabic level 1 might have extra classes. In the term that you have 4 modules it does tend to get a lot busier & you can have deadlines coinciding with each other which can get difficult to manage.

In my first year I had 3 compulsory modules:
1) Approaches to Knowledge
2) Interdisciplinary Research Methods
3) Quantitative Methods

I think you guys have an additional compulsory module?

I personally find the compulsory modules v useful. The lecturers like to say they’re like ‘brushing your teeth’ cos honestly speaking some parts of them are not v interesting but they do give you necessary foundation skills and knowledge for your degree. I’ve even talked to some 3rd years about this and they agree that the core modules in 1st year were rlly helpful even for their final dissertations.
I think the best part of them is that the topic for your assessments in the core modules is your choice so you can be as ‘interdisciplinary’ as you want to. I deffo learnt a lot about how to write academically for university through the basc core module assessments. There’s more detailed reviews of each core module on the basc Instagram page which you can check out yourself.
Original post by Batoool

Where can I find the reviews on the Instagram page? Thank you:smile:)
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous
Where can I find the reviews on the Instagram page? Thank you:smile:)

Check on the link on the bio
When did you receive offers? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Batoool

Hi there.

What are your thoughts on the course. Is is what you expected ? My daughter is applying this year and chosen pathway is Cultures andHealth/ Environmental Science. Also what were your other Uni you applied to ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending