The Student Room Group

Geography Edexcel, A2 Unit 4: Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Landy Guinea
Yes, that's the food security one?

Laura

Yeah! I quite like this pre-release
Original post by KeyboardWarriror
hi guys, haven't posted on this thread for a while:/ sorry:/ but I'm going to Iceland on Thursday and we have tour guides... so does anyone have any good questions about tectonics that I could ask and then post the answer to here? Pretty good opportunity imo

I went to Iceland last month with my college, it was proper windy and snowy hahah :smile: how did you find it?
Also, is anyone doing the Leisure and Tourism in Rural Landscapes question?

Haven't seen anyone doing this yet :frown:
Original post by thewaldorf
I'm doing cultural diversity! Feel free to message me if you're doing the same and want to discuss ideas.

Hi, I'm also doing cultural diversity if you feel like sharing any case studies, ideas, etc.

Lu
Has anyone studied Cold Environments? If so, how are you focussing where to learn? Which case studies, etc. are you planning on using?
Reply 305
food supply people do you have any demographic/environmental case studies/links to some??

thanks guys
Original post by SianTee
I went to Iceland last month with my college, it was proper windy and snowy hahah :smile: how did you find it?

yeah was amazing, snowed every day but had some sunny spells too. Didnt see the northern lights which was annoying, but interesting, especially the smell of egg everywhere because of the sulfur haha
yeah was amazing, snowed every day but had some sunny spells too. Didnt see the northern lights which was annoying, but interesting, especially the smell of egg everywhere because of the sulfur haha

We didn't see the northern lights either, but we did go in an outdoor pool at night whilst it was snowing, was a rather interesting experience :')
I didn't even notice the smell after a day in Iceland, apart from the shower in the hostel, because that smelt really bad haha xD
Original post by SianTee
We didn't see the northern lights either, but we did go in an outdoor pool at night whilst it was snowing, was a rather interesting experience :')
I didn't even notice the smell after a day in Iceland, apart from the shower in the hostel, because that smelt really bad haha xD

we tried to go to a pool but the teachers said it was too late... but we went to the blue lagoon which was cool, what hostel did you stay in?
Original post by cookieanon
Has anyone studied Cold Environments? If so, how are you focussing where to learn? Which case studies, etc. are you planning on using?

Hiya, I'm doing cold environments! Absolutely hate the pre-release :frown: I'm focussing on the current distribution and the reasons for it, and then discussing how much more widespread it was in the Quaternary period and the long-term climate changes that made it that way. (Sorry that's phrased really badly.)
Only thing is I'm having loads of trouble finding good definitions by reputable sources, have you had any luck?
we tried to go to a pool but the teachers said it was too late... but we went to the blue lagoon which was cool, what hostel did you stay in?

It's never too late to go to a pool :wink: we stayed in the pool till about 10pm xD
Ooo we went to the Blue Lagoon as well :biggrin:
We stayed in a hostel called Reykjavik City Hostel (I think...), what was yours called? :smile:
Original post by SianTee
It's never too late to go to a pool :wink: we stayed in the pool till about 10pm xD
Ooo we went to the Blue Lagoon as well :biggrin:
We stayed in a hostel called Reykjavik City Hostel (I think...), what was yours called? :smile:

I know that's what we said haha and omg we stayed there too! Did you play fusball ?
Original post by SianTee
Also, is anyone doing the Leisure and Tourism in Rural Landscapes question?

Haven't seen anyone doing this yet :frown:

I am! How are you finding it?
Original post by emilyp97
Hiya, I'm doing cold environments! Absolutely hate the pre-release :frown: I'm focussing on the current distribution and the reasons for it, and then discussing how much more widespread it was in the Quaternary period and the long-term climate changes that made it that way. (Sorry that's phrased really badly.)
Only thing is I'm having loads of trouble finding good definitions by reputable sources, have you had any luck?

The edexcel PowerPoint/specification on the edexcel is probably the best definition as its specific to the course (as cold environments really aren't a thing...😒) make sure you read the examiners report from Jan 2011 when it last came up, you need to talk about the milankovitch cycles/sunspots/eruption theory etc for past as well - don't just do present xx also 'a very short introduction to ice ages' Jamie goodwood is really good. Hope this helps!!! Xx
Original post by SianTee

Could you please post if there's any good 'fieldwork' you did? I went 2 years ago but didn't realise it would be relevant so didn't do anything/don't know how to include it! Thank you!!! Xx
Original post by scorpioz
Thank you for posting the pre-release, the edexcel website is useless as per usual!!

If anyone is doing option 5: Pollution and Human Health at Risk, the areas of the topic they are examining are very similar to last years (I'm retaking) and so a look at last years paper and mark scheme may be helpful.

What case studies are you learning for the report?
Original post by bevtolley
I am! How are you finding it?

Hard to be honest, I'm more of a physical geographer, however the teacher is making all of us do this question >.< plus I'm finding it hard to write stuff for the main analysis bit :s

What case studies are you using for it?
Original post by citygirl422
Could you please post if there's any good 'fieldwork' you did? I went 2 years ago but didn't realise it would be relevant so didn't do anything/don't know how to include it! Thank you!!! Xx

We actually didn't do any fieldwork (:colondollar:), I think it was more of an experience thing you know? :smile:
Sorry to be of no help xD xx
Original post by SianTee
Hard to be honest, I'm more of a physical geographer, however the teacher is making all of us do this question >.< plus I'm finding it hard to write stuff for the main analysis bit :s

What case studies are you using for it?

We could choose between this or tectonics, and I'm more human than physical so chose this! I've got quite a few case studies, but the ones I use the most are Antarctica, Petra (linking in Machu Picchu and Angkor wat), Kakum national park in Ghana, Glastonbury and other festivals and also Dartmoor (easy because I live there!). What about you? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bevtolley
We could choose between this or tectonics, and I'm more human than physical so chose this! I've got quite a few case studies, but the ones I use the most are Antarctica, Petra (linking in Machu Picchu and Angkor wat), Kakum national park in Ghana, Glastonbury and other festivals and also Dartmoor (easy because I live there!). What about you? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lucky you, I wanted to do the tectonics one :frown:
No way, you're doing Kakum? I actually went there 2 years ago, I loved it there :biggrin:

I'm doing Formby (live about 20mins away from there), Glastonbury Fest, Machu Picchu and Yellowstone :smile: you're doing a lot more than me haha xD xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending