The Student Room Group

Geography Edexcel, A2 Unit 4: Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jenwhitee
does anyone know the exact pre-release for the tectonic hazards section?

Explore the different challenges posed by tectonic hazards both before and after the
events.
Research the different impacts that tectonic hazards have on areas at different levels
of development.
Reply 81
Original post by slabsaldinho
Explore the different challenges posed by tectonic hazards both before and after the
events.
Research the different impacts that tectonic hazards have on areas at different levels
of development.

Thankyou:smile:

events.

what would be challenges posed before the events? any ideas? im clueless
:s-smilie:
Original post by lissyobrian100

events.

what would be challenges posed before the events? any ideas? im clueless
:s-smilie:

Preparation-

Problems evacuating vulnerable population (elderly, children ETC), due to lack of tech, inertia (cultural links to area/stubborness to move), economic attachements (high quality farm land attached to volcanic areas/ mineral deposits) and poor infastrcuture away from region.

Problems educating people for potential tectonic hazards (contrast Japan to Indonesia) (earthquake drills in Japan, none in Indonesia) (Duck and cover methods ETC).

Problems limiting the potential damage, by unmanaged building regs posing greater danger to people. Development agencies/governments to keen to make short term profit.

Helpful?
Reply 84
Hey guys, I'm doing Life on the Margins; I was wondering how people are subheading their sections? For example, would you head the strategy eg: Orangic Farming, then give a further sub-heading of the case study name/location eg. Cuba? I think at the moment my headings are slightly confused so was wondering how everyone else was doing it! (and not exclusively Life on the Margins people I guess?) Thanks!
x.

I posted this in the other thread but I figured i'd ask everyone here too,

This has been stressing me out all day.
I just still don't know how to link everything together in regards to case studies.

I'm doing tectonics and
Should I use the same case studies in my before and after challenges?Or can I use different ones that i didnt use in my before in my after challenges?
Should I always be using 2 case studies to compare or can I just use a single case study to back up my points?
Also, say i had the subheadings such as "mitigation", "prediction", "responses" etc, should i compare 2 contrasting case studies under each title or should I use more than 2 in each subheading?
And finally... does there need to be an equal mix of earthquakes and volcanoes? & do we have to use tsunamis?

Sorry thats a bit of a mess but i just have so many questions which my teacher hasnt given me an answer to
Original post by Mocking_bird
I posted this in the other thread but I figured i'd ask everyone here too,

This has been stressing me out all day.
I just still don't know how to link everything together in regards to case studies.

I'm doing tectonics and
Should I use the same case studies in my before and after challenges?Or can I use different ones that i didnt use in my before in my after challenges?
Should I always be using 2 case studies to compare or can I just use a single case study to back up my points?
Also, say i had the subheadings such as "mitigation", "prediction", "responses" etc, should i compare 2 contrasting case studies under each title or should I use more than 2 in each subheading?
And finally... does there need to be an equal mix of earthquakes and volcanoes? & do we have to use tsunamis?

Sorry thats a bit of a mess but i just have so many questions which my teacher hasnt given me an answer to

ok, I'll have a go at answering your questions from what I know.

You can use the same, as long as you have a variety throughout your project.

I think you can just use a single case study in some places, as the exam is 90 mins long and it would be unreasonable to expect us to throw in detailed case studies left, right and center and compare them. I think as long as you do it a couple of times all is good.

Try and compare different case studies of MEDC and LEDC under each heading. You don't need to restrict the number of case studies you use, so if you make a point and you have a case study that fits in with the points just throw it in, the examiners are not gonna penalise you for it. You may be able to show synopticity through a case study you use which will show your further understanding of the topic, examiners like that.

I'd aim to talk about two tectonics in depth and maybe throw in the third briefly, the exam is time restricted, I doubt the examiners are expecting spades of detail. Its better to have depth than breadth. Explain why you've done this, say something like "as tsunamis are a byproduct of earthquakes this report will only make a vague assessment of the effect of tsunamis on the challenges posed to differing development levels before and after...."

You don't have to do tsunamis you could easily use another tectonic hazard such as landslides. I personally will be using tsunamis, as the case studies (Japan and Indonesian tsunamis) are easy to contrast and make points from.

Hope this helps! :smile:
ok, I'll have a go at answering your questions from what I know.

You can use the same, as long as you have a variety throughout your project.

I think you can just use a single case study in some places, as the exam is 90 mins long and it would be unreasonable to expect us to throw in detailed case studies left, right and center and compare them. I think as long as you do it a couple of times all is good.

Try and compare different case studies of MEDC and LEDC under each heading. You don't need to restrict the number of case studies you use, so if you make a point and you have a case study that fits in with the points just throw it in, the examiners are not gonna penalise you for it. You may be able to show synopticity through a case study you use which will show your further understanding of the topic, examiners like that.

I'd aim to talk about two tectonics in depth and maybe throw in the third briefly, the exam is time restricted, I doubt the examiners are expecting spades of detail. Its better to have depth than breadth. Explain why you've done this, say something like "as tsunamis are a byproduct of earthquakes this report will only make a vague assessment of the effect of tsunamis on the challenges posed to differing development levels before and after...."

You don't have to do tsunamis you could easily use another tectonic hazard such as landslides. I personally will be using tsunamis, as the case studies (Japan and Indonesian tsunamis) are easy to contrast and make points from.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Thank youuu, really helpful! :smile:
I just feel like our teacher has left us to do too much independent work on this and its not really worked :frown:
Reply 88
I too am doing the question on tectonic hazards. The way i'm planning on basing my report is to break down the question into two main areas planning and then response, as this sets you up nicely to answer the first question "Explore the different challenges posed by tectonic hazards both before and after the events."

Within these areas of planning and response I will seek to answer the second question "Research the different impacts that tectonic hazards have on areas at different levels of development.", by using case studies of different economic levels (MEDC, LEDC and possibly NIC) of the same hazard (E.G Japan Tsunami (MEDC) v Boxing Day Tsunami (LEDC) 2004, or Haiti Earthquake (LEDC) v Californian Earthquake (MEDC) ETC) to discuss the different impacts (E.G MEDC= HIGH FINANCIAL LOSS/LOW LOSS OF LIFE, LEDC= LOW FINANCIAL LOSS/HIGH LOSS OF LIFE). Here you can bring in the Park's model or hazard risk equation on your case studies by saying something like, the Californian earthquake of 2001 had less of an impact on people's standard of living due to the area's capacity to cope, unlike the Haiti earthquake which had a low capacity to cope.

So my overall plan is:

Intro- Say what tectonic hazards are/ discussion of different earthquake types (briefly) (Constructive, conservative and destructive) and volcano types (Briefly) (Shield, Composite ETC) and then discuss/list factors that influence their effects on us (Geographical position, speed of onset, area effected, magnitude, frequency, vulnerability of people/capacity to cope)

Methodology- Say something like in order to make an effective assessment in my report a discussion of relevant theories and models will be needed to add depth and relevance. Then list the models/theories under sub sections, so Park's Model (Include diagram), Hazard profiling for each tectonic hazard you will be discussing (diagrams), Hazard Risk Equation and say why they are useful/what relevance they have to your report.

Preparation- Discuss overall difficulty in preparing for tectonic hazards due to sudden onset (Tsunamis)(hazard profiling link) and limited availability to technology due to cost and technical issues. Look to Park's model and talk about

· Technology- not available to everyone (Boxing day Tsunami), early warning can allow for the evacuation of vulnerable members of population (children, elderly ETC). Discussion of how money effects the success of this area, different between MEDC/LEDC. Example of USGS to illustaret this.
· Building/planning- earthquake resistant buildings (Japan/California), limits loss of life when earthquake hits, not building on flood plains (Tsunami's have greater effect). However not all can afford (Kashmir Earthquake Pakistan 2005) or are not willing to due to quick gain, gained through building quickly in vulnerable areas (China). Discuss how both MEDC, LEDC and NIC are all guilty of poor building planning, all keen to get rich short term. Discussion of how national organisations such as FEMA can assist prep, through coordinating evacuation.
· Education- Duck and cover methods- Japan Tsunami and Earthquake drills/ contrast to boxing day Tsunami none (Discuss how this exacerbates effects of disaster and links to Parks Model (greater drop in standard of living) and disaster risk equation (greater vulnerability)
· Discuss how evacuation and preparation may be restricted due to factors such as inertia (cultural ties to a region), inability to relocate due to poor infastructure (lack of highways, railways, airports ETC), or economic viability of region (volcanic rich soil)(Mount Etna Etc) (Farm Crops, mineral deposits), especially to the poor (LEDC).

Response- Discuss how due to difficulty posed in preparation, response is crucial to combating tectonic hazards. Look to Parks Model, talk about how response can effect the length of time standard of living spends below the "normal level" and discuss how with effective response, standard of living can exceed normal level. Use case examples to illustrate this.

· Aid- Discuss how aid is needed in different levels dependent upon scale of disaster and population effected (MEDC, LEDC, NIC). Discuss how aid may be mismanaged if given to the wrong people, and needs to be used effectively if recovery is to be made.

Conclusion- Here just make a summary of the key points you have made in your report (briefly) and consider which preparation or response technique is the most successful or necessary for combating tectonic hazards. I would just that you point to a variety of techniques here and suggest that even with these, it may not be possible to fully mitigate and prepare for a tectonic hazard.

Hope this helps. Its a bit long, buts its what I've got down. You may want to include more sub headings in the response area, as well. Good Luck to everyone taking this exam on Friday. :smile:

What case studies are you going to use exactly can you let me know please thanks.
Reply 89
And where you got the information about them
Original post by hashg
What case studies are you going to use exactly can you let me know please thanks.

Tsunami's

Boxing Day/Indonesia one LEDC
Japan/Fukusima MEDC

I will be comparing both of them and probably discussing that although Japan is greater prepared due to better education (tsunami/earthqake plans in place), available early warning systems from USGS in the Pacific and hard engineering defences in place, the nature of a tsunami (link to hazard profiling) means that very little prep can be done. Also tie in poor planning on the part of both areas, Indonesia built poor quality housing, Japan built nuclear power stations near a destructive plat boundary (not smart).

Earthquakes

Haiti/Kashmir LEDC
California/Kobe MEDC

Can be used to illustrate above points on prep again, and can include FEMA in regards to California who coordinate disasters in America making vulnerability less (link to hazard risk equation).

In the case of Kashmir you can discuss how geographic position made response in the form of aid very difficult to recieve in Kashmir, due to steep mountain area and secluded individuals cut off from area by poor infastructure and earthquake/resulting landslides. Contrast this to California, where despite having an earthquake with higher magnitude, on the richter scale, were still able to cope with the aftermath, by recieveing aid from the government who were quick to act too the situation. Contrast both case studies using the Park's model saying something like "due to California's instantaneous response to the earthquake in the form of aid, rest centers ETC, the area was able to make a quick recovery from the earthquake and was able to quickly return to the "normal" level of standard of living. This can be evidenced by the Parks model shown in figure (...) where California's time beneath the normal standard of living would be less than that of Haiti/Kashmir". (You may wish to draw the parks model again using the situations you'd expect for haiti/kashmir and California).

Volcanoes

Mt Etna/Iceland ryk... something MEDC
Mount Pinatubo LEDC

Use to further illustrate the points on prep and response. Possible discussion that evacuation (a problem before the tectonic hazard), may be difficiult to implement due to inertia (cultural attachment to the area), economic viability of the area (Rich fertile soil and minerals found near volcanoes, people reluctant to leave this if in poverty) and poor infrastructure away from the area.

Hope this helps, those were to ones that came into my head, but I guess you could use any such as the Chile earthquake if you liked.
Original post by hashg
And where you got the information about them

We as a class did independent research on case studies we wanted to use, so I just tried to find ones which were relevant and topical by searching them into Google.

You should find fact sheets on the case studies if you do this.
Reply 92
does anyone know where i could find example introductions? I am unsure what to include in it, should i put definitions into separate sub sections?
would this be a decent intro or not?-
to understand the question, i (we) need to fully understand the key words, so that the terms of reference of the report can be established right at the start.
This means that when using key and command words it is clear exactly how they are to be interpreted.

and then go into sub sections of definitions eg-

1a: challenges
1b: tectonic activity
Reply 93
To those doing cultural diversity, what concepts and theories are you using? I have a table which demonstrates scale and range of material in the methodology, but am worried I might lose marks for lack of theoretical information. Is it me or is there just not much around!?
Reply 94
What examples do people have on impacts in LEDCS and MEDCS? Doing the natural hazards question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Can somebody help me with my methodology section? I've only used textbooks and websites, are there any other sources that I could include to get a wider range? And how do we evaluate the sources? Thanks :smile:
does anyone know the prerelease topic for pollution and health? i've lost mine
Original post by MarinaEve
Hey guys, I'm doing Life on the Margins; I was wondering how people are subheading their sections? For example, would you head the strategy eg: Orangic Farming, then give a further sub-heading of the case study name/location eg. Cuba? I think at the moment my headings are slightly confused so was wondering how everyone else was doing it! (and not exclusively Life on the Margins people I guess?) Thanks!

I'm doing mine by strategies as well. I don't think I'll give it a further sub-heading though, but that's just personal preference!
Reply 98
what does methodology include?
Original post by jenwhitee
what does methodology include?

Park's Model
Hazard profiling for Tsunami's, Earthquakes and Volcanoes
Hazard risk equation
Or anything else you can think of that is relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending