The Student Room Group

I am too fat to go outside

For the past week i've not left my house once. I am terrified because it is getting warmer outside and so i'll have to show more and more flesh. I have gained 2 and a half stone in the past 10 months after graduating and not being able to find a job and am now 142 pounds (5ft 7)....

I feel ashamed of my weight, and feel that everyone that looks at me is thinking about how I need to stop eating. I am on a diet but every time I loose a few pounds I get upset about my life and then binge and gain it back.

I refuse to see my friends or family and haven't seen anyone I know in the past 6 months. I am worried about what they will think when they see me.

I can understand why people develop anorexia and bulimia because I feel like the faster I loose weight the faster I can start living my life but I also know that I should stick to slow weight loss because it's more sustainable.

What would be your opinion if you saw me? I am 142 pounds and look really chubby. I am not exaggerating that when I walk down the street I feel like I make thumping sounds like an elephant or something and I also walk like a fat person (body swinging from side to side). I just don't know what to do and I don't know what I am asking. Just advice I guess about whether you would judge me if you saw me in the street?

Scroll to see replies

Hey calm down I'm 5'6'' and 9 and a half stone and I think I'm a healthy weight. You have a BMI of around 22 which is a healthy weight for your height. You might think of yourself as chubby, but you're probably not!

You talk about being on a diet, but the best way to get rid of the fat is to excercise more, which you haven't mentioned.

Looks like you really need to work on your confidence! Try looking at the Shyness page under health & relationships.
Reply 2
Anonymous
I feel ashamed of my weight, and feel that everyone that looks at me is thinking about how I need to stop eating. I am on a diet but every time I loose a few pounds I get upset about my life and then binge and gain it back.

At some stage you'll have to realise that you are your own greatest enemy and correct your behaviour accordingly. Confidence is not something you can just inject into yourself. Force yourself into a disciplined lifestyle and you will earn permanent confidence.
Reply 3
You have a perfectly normal BMI, while I know it's not always completely inaccurate you certainly could not be fat. It honestly sounds like you could have issues with confidence or possibly with eating, have you talked to your GP about your issues?
Reply 4
142 Lbs for 5"7 is not fat.

If you want to lose weight, it is rather simple.

Burn more than you take in, but not dramatically, do it moderately and healthily and get onto a work-out program.
Reply 5
That's not at all fat. That's a healthy weight for 5ft7. I am 5ft4 and I am about 140 kilos. I wouldn't consider myself fat, although bigger than others. 10.3 stone is a really good weight for your height.
Reply 6
That's not at all fat. That's a healthy weight for 5ft7. I am 5ft4 and I am about 140 kilos. I wouldn't consider myself fat, although bigger than others. 10.3 stone is a really good weight for your height. I think your issue is that you've put on a bit of weight quite drastically and so it hits you hard. I went through a rough patch for the past 18 months and I put on 4 stone- I went from 8.5 to 12.5stone and I was really depressed because it seemed really quick. In October I decided enough was enough and have dropped back to 10 stone, still wanting to lose more weight and get back down to 9/9.5 stone.

Have you eaten more recently? My issue is that I comfort eat- when I'm mad/stressed/upset I eat food even when I'm full up, I've trained myself now to not do it- although I've gone through various bad habits, turning to smoking and caffeine (I've weaned off the cigarettes and just on the caffeine now), but just train your stomach. The first couple of months are really tough mentally but if you're that unhappy you will do it regardless until it becomes quite easy from thereon!

I hope you get the results you want. If your eating habits haven't changed, may be worth seeing your GP about a hormone imbalance- things like contraceptive pills, anti-depressants can cause weight gain quite quickly, so worth checking it out.

Get out exercising- it's good for the mind too. I ride my horse everyday and walk about 5 miles a day which helps me feel good inside and less stressed- now is the best time of year to get into the swing of things too.

Good luck x
Reply 7
Original post by Idle
x

Original post by lassiesuca
x

Thank you all for the assurance, it means a lot to me. I agree that it's probably due to the drastic weight gain (due to comfort eating, and the fact that I lost a lot of weight from self induced vomiting which I managed to stop. I don't feel comfortable in my own skin. I literally couldn't see my GP because I haven't got very good experiences with them - when I told one about my eating issues I got sent for bloodwork and when it came back with things wrong he said stop purging and then come back for some more. It was a really bad experience.

I used to walk a lot but going outside is a problem so now I try and burn off about 300 a day (I have a pretty accurate heart rate monitor that works out net burn), so I do a range of workouts in my room.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you all for the assurance, it means a lot to me. I agree that it's probably due to the drastic weight gain (due to comfort eating, and the fact that I lost a lot of weight from self induced vomiting which I managed to stop. I don't feel comfortable in my own skin. I literally couldn't see my GP because I haven't got very good experiences with them - when I told one about my eating issues I got sent for bloodwork and when it came back with things wrong he said stop purging and then come back for some more. It was a really bad experience.

I used to walk a lot but going outside is a problem so now I try and burn off about 300 a day (I have a pretty accurate heart rate monitor that works out net burn), so I do a range of workouts in my room.

Could you see a different doctor at the surgery you go to if you don't think that doctor handled it well?
Reply 9
Original post by Idle
Could you see a different doctor at the surgery you go to if you don't think that doctor handled it well?

Won't they say something like.. "well what do you want me to do about it"?
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
Won't they say something like.. "well what do you want me to do about it"?

No considering it's their job :smile: Some Doctors are great at this kind of situation and some are not sadly, once you find one that you feel comfortable with and who helps you can ask for future appointments to be with them, it's a lot of trial and error and takes a lot of confidence to do but it would be worth it in the end :smile:
Reply 11
That's not at all fat. That's a healthy weight for 5ft7. I am 5ft4 and I am about 140 kilos. I wouldn't consider myself fat, although bigger than others. 10.3 stone is a really good weight for your height. I think your issue is that you've put on a bit of weight quite drastically and so it hits you hard. I went through a rough patch for the past 18 months and I put on 4 stone- I went from 8.5 to 12.5stone and I was really depressed because it seemed really quick. In October I decided enough was enough and have dropped back to 10 stone, still wanting to lose more weight and get back down to 9/9.5 stone.

Have you eaten more recently? My issue is that I comfort eat- when I'm mad/stressed/upset I eat food even when I'm full up, I've trained myself now to not do it- although I've gone through various bad habits, turning to smoking and caffeine (I've weaned off the cigarettes and just on the caffeine now), but just train your stomach. The first couple of months are really tough mentally but if you're that unhappy you will do it regardless until it becomes quite easy from thereon!

I hope you get the results you want. If your eating habits haven't changed, may be worth seeing your GP about a hormone imbalance- things like contraceptive pills, anti-depressants can cause weight gain quite quickly, so worth checking it out.

Get out exercising- it's good for the mind too. I ride my horse everyday and walk about 5 miles a day which helps me feel good inside and less stressed- now is the best time of year to get into the swing of things too.

Good luck x

LOL!! When I read that you're 140kg and not fat I was thinking you're in serious denial... that's like 22 stone! but reading further in your post I realised you meant 140lb!?! :tongue: which is fine!!
I am 5ft4 and I am about 140 kilos. I wouldn't consider myself fat, although bigger than others. .

Are you sure you've got the numbers right?
I've put on alot of weight recently. Althought I'm not fat, I can sympathize.
Original post by Horsedobbin
Are you sure you've got the numbers right?

140lbs haha I'm an idiot.
Original post by Bobbi!
LOL!! When I read that you're 140kg and not fat I was thinking you're in serious denial... that's like 22 stone! but reading further in your post I realised you meant 140lb!?! :tongue: which is fine!!

:colondollar::colondollar:

Stones, lbs and kgs confuse me LOL!

140 POUNDS LOL
You have as much right to go outside as anybody else. Lose the weight, and then you don't have to worry any more!

Come on, you can change your situation. At least you're not ugly like me, which I can't do anything about.:frown:
Just as others have said, you have as much right to go outside as everyone else!

And I know this might be one of the last things you want to hear. But when I see an overweight person at the gym, especially if they're with a trainer, I seriously have so much respect for them. Absolutely no one stares, and I'm sure everyone's thinking the same as me; you go girl! (or boy)
Your weight is seriously not bad at all, honestly! Dont worry, no ones gonna judge you. Start your weight loss off slowly and gradually lose weight, its the best way.
140lbs haha I'm an idiot.

Not an idiot, it's just an error, just like the error you make when you say you are fat. As others have pointed out, your weight is normal and healthy for your height.

Quick Reply

Latest