The Student Room Group

Geography flood management!?

People of the student room!!! I need HEEEELLLLLLLLPPPP!!! how is flooding managed in bangladesh?! i missed the lesson and forgot to catch up so now i am revising and stuck :frown: please include several ways if possible?! thanks!
FLOOD RELIEF / MANAGEMENT IN BANGLADESH

As has already been mentioned Bangladesh's low level of economic development means Bangladesh's flood protection is insufficient and a number of factors as discussed in this post have exacerbated the problems.

Following the 1998 floods a number of short term flood relief measures were put in place to try an minimise loss of life - these included:
international food aid programmes

the distribution of free seed to farmers by the Bangladesh govenrment to try and reduce the impact of food shortages - the government also gave 350,000 tonnes of cereal to feed people;
volunteers / aid workers worked to try and repair flood damage

In the long term a number of flood prevention measure are possible:

the creation of embankments (artificial levees) along the river to increase channel capacity and restrict flood waters - however since 1957, 7,500km of flood embankments have been constructed and yet many were breached in the 1998 floods;

constructing flood protection shelters (large buildings raised above the ground) to shelter both people and animals

emergency flood warning systems and plans made for organising rescue and relief services;

providing emergency medical stores in villages

building flood proof storage sheds for grain and other food supplies

dam construction upstream and major embankments around Dhaka have been suggested however lack of money has meant that these suggestions have not been taken further.

taken from geobytes
http://geobytesgcse.blogspot.fr/2006/12/flooding-in-ledc-1998-floods-in.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending