The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Geography Paper 1 | [17th May 2023] Exam Chat

Poll

How did the Edexcel A-level Geography Paper 1 exam go for you?

Edexcel A-Level Geography Paper 1 (Physical) | 17th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 17th May 2023 AM
Length: 2h15m

Link to Study Group:
A-Level Geography Study Group 2022-2023
Well done everyone!
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

any predictions for tectonics, coasts, carbon and water?
Reply 2
Has anybody made/have links to quite detailed notes on the case studies for carbon cycle. My teacher set most of the last 2 enquiry questions as independent work and I realised my notes on them are crap T-T
Original post by geouser
Has anybody made/have links to quite detailed notes on the case studies for carbon cycle. My teacher set most of the last 2 enquiry questions as independent work and I realised my notes on them are crap T-T

UK energy mix. Brazilian oil rigs, Canadian tar sands, USA (i think) mining. Norway v UK (on domestic energy supply).
Original post by anonymoususer552
any predictions for tectonics, coasts, carbon and water?

these are predictions from my teacher but obviously might not be 100%... tsunamis in tectonics hasn't come up so far so could be the 12 marker but obviously revise eqs and volcanoes! carbon 20 marker will prob be on carbon but also might not be!! water no idea and coasts erm maybe coastal management? he's not really said anything for coasts
For a 12/20 marker using PEEEL paragraphs does the example have to be a case study, some things I dont have a case study which fits
Reply 6
thanks!!! but i feel like there is more,or is that all we need? like do we need to know examples for afforestation or smthn?
Original post by geouser
thanks!!! but i feel like there is more,or is that all we need? like do we need to know examples for afforestation or smthn?

As far as I know, no. Key case studies I would use are:
Hazards: Haiti/Christchurch for LIC/HIC comparison Japan as a MHZ.
Coasts: For sediment cell and case study in general: Holderness Coast and maybe add a few places where there are concordant/discordant erosional/depositional landforms.
Water: Israel for desalinisation, China for water transfer, Three Gorges Dam for damming. Euphrates/Nile/Mekong for transboundary water conflicts, Sahel/Australia (Millennium Drought) for el nino
Carbon: Amazon, UK energy mix,

I just splurged but here ya go.
(edited 11 months ago)
Can’t give away all my case studies. :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by JA03
Can’t give away all my case studies. :wink:

fair enough. thanks for ur help tho!
Original post by geouser
fair enough. thanks for ur help tho!

No worries. You can add any European country (Germany is good) as a comparison to the UK energy mix.
Hi
Is this the only thread for Edexcel A level geography?
Also how is everyone feeling now its only around a week before the first geography exam?
im so so scared ahhhh- im worried I will interpret a 20 marker wrong :frown:
Original post by nj_anonymous
Hi
Also how is everyone feeling now its only around a week before the first geography exam?
Original post by nj_anonymous
Hi

This is an edexcel geography exam chat thread, there are other threads for other papers and exam boards, just tag me if you need a link! :smile:

I'm stressed out. We haven't finished content but I'm really dreading the 20 markers but my goal is to make 5 points (PEEL+C) paragraphs.
what does c mean?

Original post by JA03
This is an edexcel geography exam chat thread, there are other threads for other papers and exam boards, just tag me if you need a link! :smile:

I'm stressed out. We haven't finished content but I'm really dreading the 20 markers but my goal is to make 5 points (PEEL+C) paragraphs.
Original post by kathryn111367
what does c mean?

Case study - I always forget to mention a case study so it helps.
Reply 16
For 20 markers my teacher always says to do a mini conclusion (1 sentence) and the end of each paragraph so that you dont miss out the evaluate command word and can reach level 4 throughout the essay
Original post by aj_11_04
For 20 markers my teacher always says to do a mini conclusion (1 sentence) and the end of each paragraph so that you dont miss out the evaluate command word and can reach level 4 throughout the essay

Yeah. A tip my teachers give is if you are going to run out of time, just write a conclusion because that’s where all the evaluation/assess marks come from.
i don't do conclusions for Assess questions tbh, i just assess throughout which is show when i link back to the questions and i average 10/12
Reply 19
Original post by aj_11_04

To be fair I only tend to do an Intro, 3 fairly detailed paragraphs, normally reason supporting the view and two reasons against and then a conclusion (detailed evaluation) and I typically score quite high marks in 20 markers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending