The Student Room Group

International Relations Pre-reading

Hello, good fellows of the Student Room.
I'm starting (hopefully) a course at Cambridge in October in HSPS, focussing on politics and international relations. I've done politics at school, but wanted to get a little pre-reading done on IR so I know what I'm going in to. Based on this, are there any suggestions for decent textbooks on or introductions to the area?
Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Baylis and Smith "The Globalization of World Politics" (OUP) is one of the most popular introductory IR textbooks around - they've made an absolute fortune from it!

Jackson and Sorensen "Introduction to International Relations: theories and approaches" (OUP) is another very successful introductory textbook.

Chris Brown "Understanding International Relations" (Palgrave) is also good.

These three will give you a good introduction to what IR is about as a subject and also introduce you to the main theories of IR and some of the main issues.

Personally I would steer clear of Burchill et.al. "Theories of International Relations" (Palgrave) - this was an assigned textbook on an IR Theory class that I helped teach and it's awful.
Original post by Tasha1986
Baylis and Smith "The Globalization of World Politics" (OUP) is one of the most popular introductory IR textbooks around - they've made an absolute fortune from it!

Jackson and Sorensen "Introduction to International Relations: theories and approaches" (OUP) is another very successful introductory textbook.

Chris Brown "Understanding International Relations" (Palgrave) is also good.

These three will give you a good introduction to what IR is about as a subject and also introduce you to the main theories of IR and some of the main issues.

Personally I would steer clear of Burchill et.al. "Theories of International Relations" (Palgrave) - this was an assigned textbook on an IR Theory class that I helped teach and it's awful.

Agree with this 100%. Burchill et.al. is terrible and will likely go straight over your head if the material is new to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, that's really helpful. I've got 3 months to fill post-exams and I thought I may as well put it to good use. Will look into those on Amazon

Oh, re The Globalization... how essential is getting the latest edition? The newest is about £10 more expensive; is it worth it for the ultra-up-to-date examples, or is the theory essentially the same?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Grauniad
Thanks, that's really helpful. I've got 3 months to fill post-exams and I thought I may as well put it to good use. Will look into those on Amazon

Oh, re The Globalization... how essential is getting the latest edition? The newest is about £10 more expensive; is it worth it for the ultra-up-to-date examples, or is the theory essentially the same?

The theory is the same so I wouldn't bother paying the extra £10. Once you start your studies you'll soon realise that 'new editions' are released all the time and in many cases all that changes is the preface and a couple of examples! More a way for the publisher to make money...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending