The Student Room Group

extra/super curriculars for econ at uni

i take econ, geog, maths and FM a levels and i am working at A*s in all of them
i would like to do economics at a high level uni like cambridge or LSE

however i do no extra curriculars outside of school
i have started reading some books related to economics but that's it

what should i do to be a stronger candidate for an economics degree at cambridge?

thanks
Reply 1
hi, i’m a year 11 student planning to take the exact same A levels as you (plus compulsory Welsh Bacc) and have been doing lots of research (as well as talking to my teachers who attended Oxbridge) recently on the very questions you’re asking. from what i’ve found, the best super curricula you can do include: reading books (so you’re already on your way :biggrin:), listening to podcasts about econ, applying to summer schools related to econ - e.g. i believe LSE have one called ‘Compass’ which also provides you with a qualification, perhaps look online for virtual work experience at companies like J.P. Morgan (they occasionally post some but the application windows are generally extremely short so stay on the look out!). perhaps you could also watch some ted-talks or pre-read the spec of some uni courses - i’ve heard that if you can link an advanced topic in the uni course to something in your interview, the interviewer will be very impressed. i hope what i’ve said can be of help and i’d be happy to talk about anything else. good luck with your a levels! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by username5983766
i take econ, geog, maths and FM a levels and i am working at A*s in all of them
i would like to do economics at a high level uni like cambridge or LSE

however i do no extra curriculars outside of school
i have started reading some books related to economics but that's it

what should i do to be a stronger candidate for an economics degree at cambridge?

thanks

Hiya, current Year 13 applicant for PPE. In regards to supercurriculars - I probably did too much:

Apply for your local youth group/council and take part in events

Volunteer for charities in relation to help out those in poverty - links to equality and helping others.

READ READ READ - the most important thing ever !

Find something econ related that really interests you e.g. an ideology/concept and really read about it - I did too much on economic policy and reasons for unemployment .

summer schools - leaf, sutton trust (there is so many tbh)
LMK if i was any help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending