The Student Room Group

AQA A2 French 14th June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EmperorA
Im doing exactly the same two cultural topics, do u know if you are doing le petit prince or la haine?

For my essay question, I'm probably gonna do La Haine because I find they ask simpler questions for the films, but I'm still revising Le Petit Prince just encase :tongue:
Reply 81
Original post by Shakespearian
For my essay question, I'm probably gonna do La Haine because I find they ask simpler questions for the films, but I'm still revising Le Petit Prince just encase :tongue:

i am preparing for book and film but will 90% write on film, what do you think willl come up?
Original post by sophiella
I'm doing exactly the same haha! But I'm reading Alice in Wonderland :tongue:

:five: Alice in Wonderland in French sounds great!
I think my favourite thing about French Harry Potter is that Hufflepuff is called Poufsouffle :tongue:
Original post by sjwilsonn
Yeah that's one of the most famous starts to a book in history I think! There's a really good reading of 'L'etranger' on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEp7hATkECw
if you are sick of reading it.
Have you read anything else by Camus? I have only read La Peste and L'etranger - both in Engish unfortunately! I would struggle to write about Camus' philosophy in english so good luck... :P x

Thanks so much for that link, I'll definitely have a listen to that before the exam! :smile:
I've not read any more Camus yet, is La Peste good? Haha I see what you mean, it took me ages to get my head around some of his ideas and that was when my teacher was trying to explain it in English! :tongue: x
Reply 84
Original post by dreadpiraterach
:five: Alice in Wonderland in French sounds great!
I think my favourite thing about French Harry Potter is that Hufflepuff is called Poufsouffle :tongue:

Is it actually? That sounds so funny! :biggrin: Are the names changed too? Apart from the fact that they say 'arry? :P
Eeee so glad to find you guys! I'm getting pretty nervous for the exam, it's my last one and so the mixture of fear and excitement is horrific haha.

I'm studying a French region (Provence) and a book (Le silence de la mer). Revision wise, we've done a fair few practise essays, and so I'm reading back through them and making sure I've planned the questions on the past papers. Other than that it's mainly vocab, watching French TV and listening to French radio. My mum speaks french which helps.

Bricking it though, need to get an A in French overall. Anyone got any idea what you'd need to get in this exam if I got a high A in speaking and the exam at AS, and hopefully got a high B/A at speaking in the A2 speaking exam?

Also, if anyone wants any links or ideas for french programmes to watch - let me know! me and my mum watch some stuff sometimes

x
Reply 86
Original post by chessjohnston
Yeah translation tips anyone ?

If you've finished the English into French translations and haven't come across a subjunctive, go back and check, it's hiding in there somewhere!
Reply 87
Original post by Somaiya.7
Yeah it went okay :smile: couple of tricky questions though. Wish we knew our marks! Have you been advised what order to do the listening /reading /writing in?

I always prefer to do the writing first, then the translation, then I find myself almost excited to do the rest of the paper haha. Then if I have time at the end I can check the essay and translations with a fresh mind
Reply 88
I'm so scared for this exam it's my last exam so I've been focusing on my other exams more which was a bad idea in hindsight... started by doing some past papers but the bit I find the hardest is the essay!! We've studied a period of history (the Resistance) and a play (Rhinoceros by Ionesco) and my practice essays throughout the year have ranged from an E to an A so I'm really uncertain:frown:
Reply 89
Original post by Forza-Milan2011
Is anybody else writing their essay about la La Haine ? If so do any of you have some plans for essays

merci

I'm doing Kassovitz too. This is how I usually plan my essays:

Intro - mention a bit about directors success, particularly with La Haine (César, Cannes etc) but keep it short and brief; clearly state which points you're going to mention, referring to 2nd part of title (I'm going to explain why I like these aspects/how they contribute to its popularity etc)

Plot - brief summary of plot. My teachers all say this is easier than trying to explain who's who in your analysis, and that you shouldn't assume that the examiner knows what you're talking about. But shouldn't spend more than 5 mins on this part.

Analysis - probably easiest to divide paragraphs by whatever points you made in your introduction, e.g. para 1 - police brutality; para 2 - life in the banlieue; para 3 - racism

Conclusion - If I'm running out of time I don't bother with a conclusion, I'd rather get marks finishing off the analysis than writing a conclusion that gets few marks. But I try to sum it up in a few sentences when I can, as it gives it a nice structure, remembering to refer back to the title.

Remember to bring in personal reactions and subjunctives.

Hope this helps!
Reply 90
Original post by gypsyclimber
Eeee so glad to find you guys! I'm getting pretty nervous for the exam, it's my last one and so the mixture of fear and excitement is horrific haha.

I'm studying a French region (Provence) and a book (Le silence de la mer). Revision wise, we've done a fair few practise essays, and so I'm reading back through them and making sure I've planned the questions on the past papers. Other than that it's mainly vocab, watching French TV and listening to French radio. My mum speaks french which helps.

Bricking it though, need to get an A in French overall. Anyone got any idea what you'd need to get in this exam if I got a high A in speaking and the exam at AS, and hopefully got a high B/A at speaking in the A2 speaking exam?

Also, if anyone wants any links or ideas for french programmes to watch - let me know! me and my mum watch some stuff sometimes

x

I've got the same grade-wise, and we've figured out that even with a C in this exam I'm likely to get a low A overall, so yours should be similar.
I'd love some links please! We often watch French news (France 2) but can never find any interesting programs so would love some ideas!
Reply 91
Original post by MONeil
I always prefer to do the writing first, then the translation, then I find myself almost excited to do the rest of the paper haha. Then if I have time at the end I can check the essay and translations with a fresh mind

Yeah I think I may get the writing over and done with first! How are you practising for the reading/listening?
Does anyone know if there's a difference between "Un Couteau" and "Une arme blanche" or are they just synonyms?
Original post by katii:)
Is it actually? That sounds so funny! :biggrin: Are the names changed too? Apart from the fact that they say 'arry? :P

I think most of the character names are the same- some of them are really literal translations of the English versions, like for example when they refer to Voldemort as "You Know Who", they say "Vous Savez Qui". Muggles are Moldus and Hogwarts is Poudlard for some reason :biggrin:

Also the word for wand is baguette, which conjures some strange visions of Voldemort using a stick of French bread to kill people :tongue:
Hi everyone,

One of the essays I've learned is on the themes of the novel we're doing. The question asks what are the two most important themes of the book, so in that essay I've explained two themes in detail. This made me wonder, what would happen if there was a question on themes, but it wanted you to pick just one theme which you thought was the most important? Would you pick one theme and talk about it in loads of detail, or talk about more than one theme and then make your decision in the conclusion? In that case, would two themes cover it, or would I be better talking about three?

If anyone could help me with this I would be really grateful :smile:
Hi everyone,

One of the essays I've learned is on the themes of the novel we're doing. The question asks what are the two most important themes of the book, so in that essay I've explained two themes in detail. This made me wonder, what would happen if there was a question on themes, but it wanted you to pick just one theme which you thought was the most important? Would you pick one theme and talk about it in loads of detail, or talk about more than one theme and then make your decision in the conclusion? In that case, would two themes cover it, or would I be better talking about three?

If anyone could help me with this I would be really grateful :smile:

It depends on the book you are studying. If there is one predominant theme, in my case this is War, then I would consecrate 2 chunky paragraphs to it and then write one paragraph on however many other themes you have time for. I don't think I'd want to talk about one theme because it would be more difficult to get content marks - you might begin to flog a dead horse...
Thanks so much for that link, I'll definitely have a listen to that before the exam! :smile:
I've not read any more Camus yet, is La Peste good? Haha I see what you mean, it took me ages to get my head around some of his ideas and that was when my teacher was trying to explain it in English! :tongue: x

Yeah 'La Peste' is definitely worth reading. I think my favourite fact about Camus is that he used to play in goal for Algeria football team! x
I'm currently re-reading L'étranger for the exam, my main worry is the essay, as I seem to struggle with making little mistakes which end up bring the whole mark for accuracy down!

I am, however, also worried in case a vrai/faux/non-donnée question comes up on the reading, as I often find it hard to decipher between faux and non-donnée. Does anyone else have this problem or have any useful tips; they would be much appreciated!
Original post by MONeil
I've got the same grade-wise, and we've figured out that even with a C in this exam I'm likely to get a low A overall, so yours should be similar.
I'd love some links please! We often watch French news (France 2) but can never find any interesting programs so would love some ideas!

Ahhh wow okay, that's reassuring! Thanks.

As for programmes, if you go on the canal+ website, www.canalplus.fr, there's some shows on there. My favourite is 'Le Petit Journal' - it's like a french version of mock the week and is really funny. It's a comedy section of a much larger show called Le Grand Journal, which is also interesting and involves interviews with actors, musicians, politicians...all sorts. It's all available online too :smile:

Another programme I love to watch is the French version of Come Dine With Me, called Un Diner Presque Parfait. They take it a lot more seriously in France, and there's a lot less mucking around than on the English one haha. It's a slightly different format, they get judged on table decoration and stuff. You can watch that here....http://www.tv-replay.fr/un-diner-presque-parfait/

Hope this helps :smile:
Hi,

I'm in yr 11 and am doing the A2 exam and my school do IB at sixth form so don't really know too much about the A level course. Basically, I was just wondering what sort of things I should know for the General Topic. I am focusing on a french-speaking region and am doing Provence-Alpes Cote d'Azur and I've done some research but I don't know how much detail I am meant to know about the area :s-smilie: Any advice would be much appreciated!! Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending