The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

how is life in St. A?

Hi all,

I am a professional who is interviewing for an opportunity to work at St. Andrews University. I will be moving there from Chicago, IL US after living in America for over 10 years(4 of which in Chicago). I am trying to gather as much information as i can for the city and University.

What concerns me the transition from such a big city to a small town. Although i am no longer a student i am also considering to pursue my PhD there in the future, if i like it. Also, my gf is planning to follow me thereto settle down together. We are both city people and i am trying to see if living there would be hard on us. We've both been through college life so we're not much into clubbing anymore but i would like to see some positives and negatives of the University and city from people who live there.

Also, a few general questions: Coming from chicago and having visited other cities in the states (and Seoul:s-smilie:outh Korea) technology is all around me. Is this something that i will miss? How is internet service there?

Thanks for reading!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ghostr
Hi all,

I am a professional who is interviewing for an opportunity to work at St. Andrews University. I will be moving there from Chicago, IL US after living in America for over 10 years(4 of which in Chicago). I am trying to gather as much information as i can for the city and University.

What concerns me the transition from such a big city to a small town. Although i am no longer a student i am also considering to pursue my PhD there in the future, if i like it. Also, my gf is planning to follow me thereto settle down together. We are both city people and i am trying to see if living there would be hard on us. We've both been through college life so we're not much into clubbing anymore but i would like to see some positives and negatives of the University and city from people who live there.

Also, a few general questions: Coming from chicago and having visited other cities in the states (and Seoul:s-smilie:outh Korea) technology is all around me. Is this something that i will miss? How is internet service there?

Thanks for reading!

I can't tell you much about life there. But My son has just spent the last four years in Nottingham which is a much bigger city than St Andrews. He will be doing a PhD there. When he went for his interview there, he said that it wwas the most beautiful pace he had seen in the UK. He can't wait to move there and everybody was really nice.
. That said, he is not one for a wild night life.
What you cannot expect, anywhere in the UK, is to get internet speeds like those in Korea.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by ghostr
Hi all,

Thanks for reading!

Hi ghostr,The Frequently Asked Questions should cover all of your questions about internet to the town life.
Reply 3
Original post by ghostr
Hi all,

Thanks for reading!

Firstly, its not a city. You will find it tiny compared to Chicago. Its population is like 15,000 or around 22,000 when in term-time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending