The Student Room Group

First Aid Training

Hi,

I have recetly been looking for a first aid course, ideally in person but online is possible, but they are so expensive! For example, a 3 day first aid course with St John Ambulance costs about £450! I'm going to university next year during a cost of living crisis, so there is no possibility of me being able to afford this!

I am very keen to learn first aid because accients and injuries can happen at any point, next year I will be living independently from my family but also with other students who may get injured, and particuarily because I volunteer for my Church to often lead the children's group for 5 - 7 year olds.

If anybody could recommend an affordable and good first aid course please I'd be very grateful. I would define affordable for something like this as less than £100, ideally no more than £50, but I know that these things can be very expensive. Thank you in advance!
Reply 1
Hi there. There are lots of independent first aid training organisations that deliver ofqual regulated first aid qualifications at much more affordable prices than St John Ambulance. The price of a 1 day Emergency First Aid at Work Course will be more in line with your cost requirements and give you the basics.
Reply 2
If it's needed for your role within your church group, then why not see if the church will pay for a first aid course?

If you're wanting to have these skills "just in case" why not have a bash at voluteering with St John? You'll get the opportunity to help people, you'll learn these skills and it's something that can look nice on your CV in the future.
Reply 3
Thank you for that idea, I will talk to my Church about it, and I will look at independent courses

Do you know what would be involved in volunteering for St John Ambulance, please? I am not a Med student!
Original post by Ahsoka5!
Hi,

I have recetly been looking for a first aid course, ideally in person but online is possible, but they are so expensive! For example, a 3 day first aid course with St John Ambulance costs about £450! I'm going to university next year during a cost of living crisis, so there is no possibility of me being able to afford this!

I am very keen to learn first aid because accients and injuries can happen at any point, next year I will be living independently from my family but also with other students who may get injured, and particuarily because I volunteer for my Church to often lead the children's group for 5 - 7 year olds.

If anybody could recommend an affordable and good first aid course please I'd be very grateful. I would define affordable for something like this as less than £100, ideally no more than £50, but I know that these things can be very expensive. Thank you in advance!

if it's for your volunteering with the church, the chuirch / diocese should be paying and will likely have access to bulk rates with their chosen training provider
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by JohnB1
Hi there. There are lots of independent first aid training organisations that deliver ofqual regulated first aid qualifications at much more affordable prices than St John Ambulance. The price of a 1 day Emergency First Aid at Work Course will be more in line with your cost requirements and give you the basics.

I strong suggest that you declare any and all affiliations when making statement like this
Reply 6
Original post by InArduisFouette
I strong suggest that you declare any and all affiliations when making statement like this

Hi there. I'm not sure what the problem with statement is, as it is factual. I've not recommended any providers but just explained options. I have nothing against St John Ambulance - I spent a very enjoyable 18 years with them, and was also a trainer for them. Many people believe that they have to go to well known names like St John Ambulance, but that is not the case. There are many ofqual registered providers (St John Ambulance are self regulated and so are not ofqual registered) that meet the requirements of the Health and Safety Executive with regards first aid training for businesses (https://www.hse.gov.uk/firstaid/first-aid-training.htm).
Clearly, if the course is just for personal use then you could probably source a non-regulated course, but it makes sense to do a regulated one if it may assist with your workplace.

I'm passionate that first aid training should be available to everyone, and that cost shouldn't prohibit someone from learning essential life-saving skills.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
Thank you for that idea, I will talk to my Church about it, and I will look at independent courses

Do you know what would be involved in volunteering for St John Ambulance, please? I am not a Med student!

You don’t need to be a med student to volunteer with them, anyone can apply. Have a look on their website, it should explain how you can volunteer.
Reply 8

Seconding getting the church to fund a course - if you're needing it for their group they should pay, they are likely also able to get cheaper courses than you can access as an individual.

And yes please come volunteer for St John!! You absolutely don't need to be a med student, most volunteers aren't and the First Aider role is specifically geared to people who don't have any medical background. You can apply on the website and will then be contacted by one of the volunteering coordinators. You get assigned to a unit (usually the one nearest your home address but you can request to join a different one, eg near your workplace, if you want) and they then provide you with training - it's a 4-day course for basic First Aid, either 2 weekends or 4 Sundays and it's completely free. You'll also need to do a DBS check, which again they pay for, or if you already have one and are on the update service they accept that. You will be expected to do some volunteering with them but it's very flexible, the minimum requirement is one event a month and you can pick whatever fits your schedule. I'd highly highly recommend St John, they're an amazing organization and a really fun thing to be a part of, plus you get great transferrable first aid skills that are gonna be helpful throughout your life

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending