The Student Room Group

go to more prestigious uni and get a job, or go to a fairly prestigious uni and not

[only Scotland]

for maths/physics:

should I go to Edinburgh/St Andrews, and have to get a job
or
go to Glasgow/Strathclyde, and not have to get a job (staying at home)?

despite Edinburgh and St Andrews being at the top of league tables for maths and physics, Glasgow comes next, and in an undergraduate degree they ought to be going through roughly the same content, I thought even though Glasgow/Strathclyde may not be as prestigious as Edinburgh/St Andrews, they are still quite prestigious and it's more about who the specific courses are accredited by. By staying at home it would allow me to spend more time on my studies which is important to me because I'm aiming to get into academia.
Reply 1
Which COURSE do you prefer? Look at the optional units for all years of the course, and think about which ones would you choose of you actually went there? Do any of these courses offer you any sort of placement or work experience - this adds heaps to the context of your degree and to your graduate job chances.

You do not come out of any Uni with a barcode on your forehead that guarantees you a great job or an instantly happy life.
Your job chances are what you make them - grade of degree, what else you did at Uni, work experience, ability to write a convincing application etc etc. Remember, that its quite possible to not enjoy being at any Uni or not like the course because 'prestige', whatever you think that means, was all you thought about..
Original post by temp_acc4884
[only Scotland]

for maths/physics:

should I go to Edinburgh/St Andrews, and have to get a job
or
go to Glasgow/Strathclyde, and not have to get a job (staying at home)?

despite Edinburgh and St Andrews being at the top of league tables for maths and physics, Glasgow comes next, and in an undergraduate degree they ought to be going through roughly the same content, I thought even though Glasgow/Strathclyde may not be as prestigious as Edinburgh/St Andrews, they are still quite prestigious and it's more about who the specific courses are accredited by. By staying at home it would allow me to spend more time on my studies which is important to me because I'm aiming to get into academia.

Do you have offers? If no, then this is meaningless.

My suggestion is to apply to the 4 unis then see which ones give you an offer.

Depending on the course, I would go to Andrews for the prestige but I heard it is socially dead and really cold.
Reply 3
How many hours would you have to work were you to go to Edinburgh/ St Andrews? Would this be in holidays or also in term time?
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
How many hours would you have to work were you to go to Edinburgh/ St Andrews? Would this be in holidays or also in term time?

From what I've seen, sadly also term time
Reply 5
Original post by temp_acc4884
From what I've seen, sadly also term time

I understand. Have you been able to work out how much you would get for living costs each year? That might give a start to considering what a feasible budget is. How many years would you be studying for? If taking advanced highers is skipping first years a possibility?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending