The Student Room Group

Graphs

YOYO.png

I just wanted to know is this correct?

Or is this for constant acceleration only?
Reply 1
Original post by Tynos
YOYO.png

straight line on a v/t graph = constant acceleration, wiggly line = non-constant acceleration :smile:
Original post by Tynos
YOYO.png

The graph shown is idealised. The real world velocity profile will not be constant:

Aircraft Velocity-Time Graph 1.jpg

It starts almost horizontally from the origin and as the aircraft accelerates, the slope gradually increases to a constant value and then begins flattening out again to the horizontal as air drag increases. When the forward thrust of the aircraft reaches equilibrium with the drag, then a constant velocity will result as the net forces cancel out. The changes in velocity shown on the above graph result from the aircraft flying through changing air pressure altering the drag together with pitch, yaw and roll control movements from the pilot.

The way it's drawn in your graph implies an abrupt instant acceleration change in acceleration from a high +ve value to zero acceleration in zero time. Also shown on the posted example above.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by uberteknik
Not quite.

The velocity profile will be a highly slanted 'S' shaped curve.

It starts almost horizontally from the origin and as the aircraft accelerates, the slope gradually increases to a constant value and then begins flattening out again to the horizontal as air drag increases. When the forward thrust of the aircraft reaches equilibrium with the drag, then a constant velocity will result as the net forces cancel out.

The way it's drawn in your graph implies an abrupt instant acceleration change in acceleration from a high +ve value to zero acceleration in zero time.

So its accelerating but not uniformly?
Please post the whole question, Tynos, not just part 3 b) iii) then people will know what the graph is actually supposed to show, and if you've got it right.
Reply 5
Original post by Stonebridge
Please post the whole question, Tynos, not just part 3 b) iii) then people will know what the graph is actually supposed to show, and if you've got it right.

Oh yeah my bad sorry, i have figured it now xD!

Quick Reply

Latest