The Student Room Group

Language Applicants for 2014!

Okay, it seems last year made their thread this time last year... so I hope it's not too early!

I'm thinking of applying to do Spanish and either English or German (English is probably the most likely) and I'm thinking of Oxford, Durham, UCL, Exeter and then a nice open fifth spot for other universities to make a claim!

Where else are people thinking of applying, and for which languages? I guess we can also help each other with general FAQs too :smile:

Don't be afraid if you want to go down a path less trodden (e.g. Yiddish and Archaeology), we won't judge you... you're all welcome here, regardless of the combo! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:smile: Not too early at all. I was wondering when i would find this thread.

I'm looking at studying French and Spanish as a degree with the possibility of merging it with linguistics/european studies. I'm feeling incredibly indecisive at the moment!

I have been focusing on Bath, Southampton, Exeter, Warwick and Durham/Cambridge as a long shot.
Reply 2
Original post by nkishkash
:smile: Not too early at all. I was wondering when i would find this thread.

I'm looking at studying French and Spanish as a degree with the possibility of merging it with linguistics/european studies. I'm feeling incredibly indecisive at the moment!

I have been focusing on Bath, Southampton, Exeter, Warwick and Durham/Cambridge as a long shot.

I've heard a fair amount about Southampton, apparently they're meant to be quite good at languages? I haven't looked them up, are they worth a look?

Also, European Studies is something I might think about, if I can find something that's quite literature orientated. Kinda like a comparative Literature thing... that's why the Language and Culture degree at UCL looks so nice (for me at least)
Reply 3
Southampton was rated 3rd for modern languages in one of the university rankings and the facilities are apparently great. They have a huge range of language courses as well which is clouding my decision as they do linguistics, European studies, language learning and language in society with two (or 3) languages. Definitely worth considering.

I'm completely the opposite when it comes to literature, I want to avoid it as much as possible! The strange thing is I like reading but I hate over-analyzing a book. I prefer the culture and linguistics side of things.

I haven't really considered any London universities as they are too close to home for me and I prefer a campus uni to a city one (i think).
Reply 4
Original post by nkishkash
Southampton was rated 3rd for modern languages in one of the university rankings and the facilities are apparently great. They have a huge range of language courses as well which is clouding my decision as they do linguistics, European studies, language learning and language in society with two (or 3) languages. Definitely worth considering.

I'm completely the opposite when it comes to literature, I want to avoid it as much as possible! The strange thing is I like reading but I hate over-analyzing a book. I prefer the culture and linguistics side of things.

I haven't really considered any London universities as they are too close to home for me and I prefer a campus uni to a city one (i think).

Fair enough... UCL is my only London uni as I live in London and, frankly... you couldn't pay me enough to stay at home (nothing against my parents... I think that's a fairly normal reaction). I'll give Southampton a look as I've got a fifth spot spare.

I assume you're a Londoner too?
Reply 5
Original post by Stanners95
Fair enough... UCL is my only London uni as I live in London and, frankly... you couldn't pay me enough to stay at home (nothing against my parents... I think that's a fairly normal reaction). I'll give Southampton a look as I've got a fifth spot spare.

I assume you're a Londoner too?

Not really a Londoner but I live nearby and the novelty of the city has worn off after visiting it too many times. I'm leaning towards a campus university within or near to a smaller city like Southampton/Bath/Exeter. Then I get a mix of countryside and city at the same time.
Hi,
I'm coming from Scotland, so I'm hoping to have done well enough in my highers in August. I'm currently looking at applying for German and Russian at Cambridge, Durham, St Andrews, Edinburgh, and perhaps Glasgow or UCL. Part of me still wants to do history in addition to this, however, or joint honours. I particularly like the look of St Andrew's, since the subject choice in the first two years is so flexible.
Reply 7
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Hi,
I'm coming from Scotland, so I'm hoping to have done well enough in my highers in August. I'm currently looking at applying for German and Russian at Cambridge, Durham, St Andrews, Edinburgh, and perhaps Glasgow or UCL. Part of me still wants to do history in addition to this, however, or joint honours. I particularly like the look of St Andrew's, since the subject choice in the first two years is so flexible.

St Andrews are meant to be quite good, aren't they? The only thing is that their degrees are meant to take an extra year... I don't get why though? It might prove handy as they offer a Spanish, German and English course so it might be worth swallowing the extra year to study a bit more about all three in depth. That way I don't have to choose between English and German (I'm finding that impossible atm!)
St Andrews are meant to be quite good, aren't they? The only thing is that their degrees are meant to take an extra year... I don't get why though? It might prove handy as they offer a Spanish, German and English course so it might be worth swallowing the extra year to study a bit more about all three in depth. That way I don't have to choose between English and German (I'm finding that impossible atm!)

Yes, I've only heard good things about St As. Their degrees are 4 years long (5, if you count the year abroad, I think) because Scottish students can technically apply to university in 5th year (Year 12) because Scottish unis make you an offer based on your higher exam results, as opposed to advanced highers.
Reply 9
Yes, I've only heard good things about St As. Their degrees are 4 years long (5, if you count the year abroad, I think) because Scottish students can technically apply to university in 5th year (Year 12) because Scottish unis make you an offer based on your higher exam results, as opposed to advanced highers.

Ah, I see. That's actually quite a nice idea, takes loadsa pressure off the last year. I'll have to think over whether I want to do a 5 year course, but given it's such a good university... it'd be worth it if I did.

BTW, how are you 'preparing' for German? (I hate that phrase it makes me sound like I'm cheating the whole application system by cramming for my personal statement... I just have a really poor knowledge of German literature and teachers who aren't the most approachable :biggrin:) Any books you've read that you think are any good?
Ah, I see. That's actually quite a nice idea, takes loadsa pressure off the last year. I'll have to think over whether I want to do a 5 year course, but given it's such a good university... it'd be worth it if I did.

BTW, how are you 'preparing' for German? (I hate that phrase it makes me sound like I'm cheating the whole application system by cramming for my personal statement... I just have a really poor knowledge of German literature and teachers who aren't the most approachable :biggrin:) Any books you've read that you think are any good?

Admittedly, I haven't really spent much time reading a lot of German literature, although I currently have Herman Hesse's Steppenwolf (in English) and am going to try Der Vorleser in German over the summer. I tried a sample of a Kafka novel, so think I will read some of his works over the summer. I'm not very prepared either!
Reply 11
Admittedly, I haven't really spent much time reading a lot of German literature, although I currently have Herman Hesse's Steppenwolf (in English) and am going to try Der Vorleser in German over the summer. I tried a sample of a Kafka novel, so think I will read some of his works over the summer. I'm not very prepared either!

In the nicest possible way, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't done much. Tbh my school doesn't have many people who study German (I'm one of 6 in my year) and I'm the first in 3 or 4 years to consider doing it at university, so nobody's really got a clue of what to do! I'm studying Der Vorleser for A2 so I'll read that (I've already read it in English). Also I'm going to Germany for the first time over the holiday so hopefully that should improve my pretty awful oral skills! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by StarryInk07
Hi guys, I'm hoping to study Spanish and Arabic at uni. :smile:
I've been thinking about applying to St Andrews, Exeter, UCL, Leeds and potentially Durham or Cambridge if I get decent AS grades and UMS; however, having completely messed up AS Maths, I'm not feeling too optimistic. :redface:

The Language and Culture degree does look absolutely amazing. :colondollar: (Although, I'd only be able to minor in Arabic which is something that I'm not sure I want.)

It does look good, doesn't it? :biggrin: It just gives me a channel to feed my ridiculous love for literature while doing German and Spanish at the same time.

Have you considered Oxford, if you're a good enough applicant but a bit wary about UMS (like I am :biggrin: ) maybe it'd be an idea to check them out. (I'm not trying to plug Oxford... it's just I'm essentially having the same doubts as you)
In the nicest possible way, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't done much. Tbh my school doesn't have many people who study German (I'm one of 6 in my year) and I'm the first in 3 or 4 years to consider doing it at university, so nobody's really got a clue of what to do! I'm studying Der Vorleser for A2 so I'll read that (I've already read it in English). Also I'm going to Germany for the first time over the holiday so hopefully that should improve my pretty awful oral skills! :biggrin:

German is not very popular at my school either, nor are languages in general I must say. Currently there are four people in my Higher (AS) class, and I'm the only person continuing it at Advanced Higher next year. Usually there is only one person doing both Higher and Advanced Higher German every year, so uptake is very low. I know that I'm going to be studying Andorra by Max Frisch as one of my texts next year, although I'm not sure about the other one.
Ooh, that'll be great. I'm involved in a German exchange, so got the chance to spend a week in Germany last year which was really good in helping to build up my confidence with the spoken language. My exchange partner is actually coming here in a couple of weeks. I'll also be spending a week or two in Germany this summer with my family. :smile:
Reply 14
German is not very popular at my school either, nor are languages in general I must say. Currently there are four people in my Higher (AS) class, and I'm the only person continuing it at Advanced Higher next year. Usually there is only one person doing both Higher and Advanced Higher German every year, so uptake is very low. I know that I'm going to be studying Andorra by Max Frisch as one of my texts next year, although I'm not sure about the other one.
Ooh, that'll be great. I'm involved in a German exchange, so got the chance to spend a week in Germany last year which was really good in helping to build up my confidence with the spoken language. My exchange partner is actually coming here in a couple of weeks. I'll also be spending a week or two in Germany this summer with my family. :smile:

Yeah, German's pretty hated by pupils in general, it seems... I guess the language needs an acquired taste! I can't lie, it took me ages to like it... but I love it now! Whereabouts are you staying in Germany? I had the opportunity to do an exchange last year, but my flat is too small so I couldn't have anyone stay... I would have loved to have taken part though :P
It does look good, doesn't it? :biggrin: It just gives me a channel to feed my ridiculous love for literature while doing German and Spanish at the same time.

Have you considered Oxford, if you're a good enough applicant but a bit wary about UMS (like I am :biggrin: ) maybe it'd be an idea to check them out. (I'm not trying to plug Oxford... it's just I'm essentially having the same doubts as you)

Yeah, I like how broad and how versatile the course is. Have to say, I'm also a bit of a literature geek. :biggrin: So, would Spanish be your main language? :smile:
I have considered Oxford and the fact that the course is very literature heavy is quite appealing, but I wasn't sure whether there would be enough language. But I probably haven't looked into it enough, so you make a good point. :wink: I'd say it's pretty unlikely I'll get 93%+ UMS in my top three subjects... But I also don't know how kindly the universities will take to a bad fourth subject (Maths ^^"). I guess I'll just have to wait until results day to find out whether applying is a possibility. :s-smilie: Haha.
Reply 16
Original post by StarryInk07
Yeah, I like how broad and how versatile the course is. Have to say, I'm also a bit of a literature geek. :biggrin: So, would Spanish be your main language? :smile:
I have considered Oxford and the fact that the course is very literature heavy is quite appealing, but I wasn't sure whether there would be enough language. But I probably haven't looked into it enough, so you make a good point. :wink: I'd say it's pretty unlikely I'll get 93%+ UMS in my top three subjects... But I also don't know how kindly the universities will take to a bad fourth subject (Maths ^^"). I guess I'll just have to wait until results day to find out whether applying is a possibility. :s-smilie: Haha.

¡Claro que si! Spanish is by far the most interesting thing I've studied ever... but I don't think I could study it by itself, I'd miss the other subjects I like. It's just trying to find a broad enough course, which still allows me to do loads of Spanish! :P I get what you mean about UMS, I doubt I'll be nudging 90-odd% across the board... and I wouldn't worry about your maths, it'll be fine. I see you're studying Arabic, have you learnt it in the past?
I'm looking at doing German at university, although I'm not sure whether I want to do another language, or something like European Studies. I study AS German and Spanish at the minute, and I genuinely enjoy Spanish, but I'm not sure whether I want to take it past A2.

I think the predicament for me is that I would like to study French, but I never had a chance through secondary school. I've been working for a GCSE in it through sixth form, but without an A-Level, there's not a huge amount of places to study it as part of a university course.

I think the decision about what to study alongside German is going to be really difficult for me. There are too many combinations that you can do, and I find it absolutely impossible to make a decision easily. :P
Reply 18
I'm also in Scotland and I'm really only looking to apply to scottish Unis. I want to do German and Spanish and so staying in Scotland for languages sort of narrows my choices. I'm currently looking at Heriot Watt, St Andrews and Glasgow, with Edinburgh and Aberdeen being my back-ups. :smile:
Heriot Watt will probably be my first choice - because I really want to avoid literature as much as possible :biggrin: and the course there is a Translating and Interpreting one.
Reply 19

Just to say, the St Andrews course is 4 years including the year abroad. The reason it's longer than English courses is that Scottish students come based on their highers, rather than AHs, whereas the english entry requirements are based on AHs / A-levels. That's why in some places if you get exceptional AH or A-level results you can jump straight to 2nd year for some Scottish courses / unis - 1st year is basically a re-hash of AH.

It's weird though, the Glasgow modern languages course is 5 years :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending