The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
GunsNRoses
I was a huge wrestling fan until earlier this year when I completely gave up on it. Now I only keep up to date by checking the WWE website and watching some highlights.

The ECW seems a desperate attempt to create a storyline and some extra revenue. They did the alliance thing a couple of years ago and even then it wasn't great because they didn't use the nWo, Sting, Goldberg etc.

The DX angle makes no sense either. HHH and HBK have had a rivalry on screen for a few years now and suddenly they are best friends again? I liked what happened on RAW last week but nothing seems even half beliveable any more.

And a question: does anybody actually watch Smackdown anymore? It's gone way downhill in recent months.

The only reason I watch Smackdown these days is to see the 'Little B******' (Finleys 'pet' leprechaun, I crack up whenever Finley brings him out) and now JBL's commentary.

However Smackdown seems to be on a up now with lashley rising up the ranks, the revigoration of Bookers character and the imminent return of Batista (even though I think he sux in the ring, Smackdown could really do with his star power).

And BTW I wont spoil it for ppl who havent watched it but this weeks ECW show is hundreds of times better than last weeks. Now they just need to make the show 2 hours long and let it book its own venues with proper ECW fans.

Also I agree the DX angle makes little sense after their intense rivalry, but hell ive missed seeing them together. At the moment I think WWE is on the rise again and a new Attitude era is on the horizon.

Now we just need to let Little B****** beat Rey Mysterio and become the new World Heavyweight Champion in a midget vs midget match (LOL imagine Little B****** vs Batista/Mark Henry at Summerslam) :biggrin:

Heres something for you guys to discuss. I know its early yet but who do you guys think will win the Royal Rumble next year and also what do you think the main events for next years wrestlemania will be. Personally I think the Rumble contenders will be Lashley, Shelton, Angle (coz hes never won one before), maybe even Carlito. Hopefully though it will be

MRRRRRRRRRRRRR KENNNNNNNEEDDDDDDYYY ........

KENNEDY:p:

Sorry couldnt resist

Wow I went on a bit there. Anyway guys keep posting so this thread will never die. Long live this thread, Long live this thread, Long live this thread (he says in his best William Regal voice). I cant believe no one made a wrestling thread before, seems criminal. Maybe I should start a wrestling society.
Reply 41
I think RAW is much better than Smackdown, I only watch Smackdown if theres nothing else on. I can't wait for The Highlanders to come to RAW, they're gonna be really funny!
I watched WWE back when it was WWF in the mid to late 90's, and up to around 2002, then it went downhill and I stopped watching.

I liked it when HHH was young and good, Austin 316, the rock, Mankind...

Mick Foley was my favourite wrestler, read his first book about a dozen times and know about ECW from that. It does sound good, nice atmosphere etc, and it's nice to see it more publically. But doesn't WWE own it and they're getting the profits from it?
tis_me_lord
I watched WWE back when it was WWF in the mid to late 90's, and up to around 2002, then it went downhill and I stopped watching.

I liked it when HHH was young and good, Austin 316, the rock, Mankind...

Mick Foley was my favourite wrestler, read his first book about a dozen times and know about ECW from that. It does sound good, nice atmosphere etc, and it's nice to see it more publically. But doesn't WWE own it and they're getting the profits from it?

Mick Foley is still great the second biography is great as well

I agree wrestling was at its peak from 98- to wrestlemania 2002

had the best wrestlers , Austin , Rock , Mankind, HHH, Angle , Undertaker ( but not the biker), Kane, ken shamrock

but pre attitude era there were greats like yokozuna . bret hart, shawn michaels, British bulldog
Reply 45
LuckyMan
The only reason I watch Smackdown these days is to see the 'Little B******' (Finleys 'pet' leprechaun, I crack up whenever Finley brings him out) and now JBL's commentary.

However Smackdown seems to be on a up now with lashley rising up the ranks, the revigoration of Bookers character and the imminent return of Batista (even though I think he sux in the ring, Smackdown could really do with his star power).

And BTW I wont spoil it for ppl who havent watched it but this weeks ECW show is hundreds of times better than last weeks. Now they just need to make the show 2 hours long and let it book its own venues with proper ECW fans.

Also I agree the DX angle makes little sense after their intense rivalry, but hell ive missed seeing them together. At the moment I think WWE is on the rise again and a new Attitude era is on the horizon.

Now we just need to let Little B****** beat Rey Mysterio and become the new World Heavyweight Champion in a midget vs midget match (LOL imagine Little B****** vs Batista/Mark Henry at Summerslam) :biggrin:

Heres something for you guys to discuss. I know its early yet but who do you guys think will win the Royal Rumble next year and also what do you think the main events for next years wrestlemania will be. Personally I think the Rumble contenders will be Lashley, Shelton, Angle (coz hes never won one before), maybe even Carlito. Hopefully though it will be

MRRRRRRRRRRRRR KENNNNNNNEEDDDDDDYYY ........

KENNEDY:p:

Sorry couldnt resist

Wow I went on a bit there. Anyway guys keep posting so this thread will never die. Long live this thread, Long live this thread, Long live this thread (he says in his best William Regal voice). I cant believe no one made a wrestling thread before, seems criminal. Maybe I should start a wrestling society.

LOL brilliant post, I agree that little B***** is a great gimmick and shuld be champ. I would rep you but I cant coz its my first post but Im sure sum1 else will coz you deserve it.
Wrestling society would be cool....even if I don't watch it anymore.

If they did bring back the Attitude era, or something that resembled it, then WWE would definately be worth watching. I think that's what they are trying to do with the ECW angle but not doing a very good job.

If the likes of Mankind, Undertaker, The Rock and Austin were to come back then viewing figures would increase again. It's never gonna happen though because Mick Foley is too old, Undertaker has pretty much retired, whilst The Rock and Austin will probably never wrestle again.

Looks liek we're stuck with Cena and the Spirit Squad...
Reply 47
Is WWF / whatever it's calling itself nowadays even a sport?
Reply 48
Mark its sports entertainment so I guess it is a sport

Anyhows who would be interested in joining a wrestling society if I start one up?? Any ideas for names apart from the obvious
Reply 49
I would join!
Reply 50
This is now the..................

WWE Society

Anyone wanting to join follow this link

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php?do=list&page=8

scroll down to WWE society and click 'Join this Soc'

And Ill add you to the members list on the first page
Im also looking for leaders to help me run the society, so tell me if your interested in that

BTW what does everyone think of the logo??

Also rep greatly appreciated so that I myself can start giving out rep awards to members of the month
Hi guys, I just joined this new society and think it's a great idea.I'v been watching wrestling (mostly WWE) since 1998 and stlill catch all the shows, though some months and matches have been hard to get through.

Just some thoughts on what I've read from other people posting.The ECW rebirth has not gone well so far apart from in ratings terms.The first show was awful, enough said really.The second show's results seem to indicate an improvement, but once again with improper use of the Sandman and a main event with 4 WWE wrestlers if one includes Lita--not really ECW.Calling them rebels instead of wrestlers is a joke and the arenas, tapings etc are also laughable.Kurt Angle is openly annoyed at being put in ECW and I want him back sooner rather than later.I never really liked ECW in its original form but do believe it has a niche market to tap into now and could succeed if major changes are made.

Smackdown has better wrestling than Raw, but Mr. Kennedy has not been used correctly since his return and though I like Lashley, he needs mic skills to be a main eventer--best characters right now in the whole business for me are Booker T (sorry, King Booker), Finlay (who was born very close to where I live i.e. Belfast) and his little bastard, Johnny Nitro who I feel has that superstar look but needs a real life attitude change, and DX who made Raw look and feel like it was six years ago in my opinion.

Are people looking forward to Vengeance?
I am for a few reasons, and am not for another few.I hope the Flair-Foley match will not only be a wrestling match as promised but will go at least 25 mins (does anyone feel match lengths are way too short at the moment?); Nitro will hopefully win the IC title and I think without doubt we will see a new WWE Champion in Edge, though his inevitable summer matches with Cena will probably disappoint.
Negatives: Eugene (for flip's sake WWE give it up),'Kanes' match which I think will be a waste of time, a ridiculous 'extreme lumberjack' match with Cena and the rebel Sabu which I think will be another big disappoint with Cena winning I would think.

Anyone there's a lot there, if anyone wants to comment on them, argue them or whatever, feel free.

Regards

Ryan
Great post Ryan, I agree with everything you said. To be honest I can't comment on Smackdown because I never watch it or even the highlight shows which I get fed up with. I think they have always under-utilised Booker T ever since the WCW/ECW invasion ended. He could have been a major part of the evolution of the WWE but it just never happened.

As for Vengeance, I won't be watching it and I haven't watched RAW much recently apart from the odd clips on wwe.com. I don't think the Flair/Foley match will be very long or very good. There'll be at least one interference to distract away what could be an awful match. Foley can't pull it off anymore without blood everywhere, and I don't think Flair can perform lenghty matches anymore. The Eugene angle was good to begin with, but the guy got seriously injured whilst it was really taking off, and it was never the same by the time he got back.

The Kane match is weird. I looked at wwe.com the other day and saw Kane staring down a guy in an old Kane costume and just thought wtf?!?! Cena is on a downhill slope at the moment, it's unfair on him but I fully understand why the majority of fans have got sick of him.

LuckyMan, I joined the society and gave you rep, although it's the first time I've done it and so I'm not entirely sure if it worked!
Reply 53
Yep nice post Ryan. I personally think that Vengeance will be the best ppv for years. Firstly the card is very strong and theres only one filler match (that being the Eugene match)

Also its true that Smackdown has better wrestling, however it is still struggling for viewers as it doesnt have the star power or the storylines that Raw has. But it is improving and the introduction of little bastard might just pull in a few viewers (He deserves a title shot soon)

Also ECW this week was miles better than last, so perhaps there is hope for it yet. I especially liked the dimmer lighting, it made it feel much more like the old ECW. Now they just need to book their own venues so it will be in front of a proper ECW crowd.

Also GunsNRoses you cant rep ppl yet until you do over 150 posts and have 2 green blocks. Thanx for trying anyway

Spread the word about the forum. BTW wot do u think of the logo, do u like it or do u have any other ideas like a DX sign of something
Reply 54
Where do u guys watch ECW?

I though it was only on Sundays???
Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.

I definitely agree Vengeance has potential and that I suppose my thoughts on the Flair/Foley match are more hopes really, but I want both men to at least give it their best shot, as most of the time I feel Flair can do more than what he does, I mean he went 30 mins with HHH in their last man standing bout last year and 20 mins with HBK in 2003.

Cena's popularity has declined badly and I feel now that most fans are indifferent towards him now, as they know he will be in the title picture for a while yet.What I envision i.e. what I think would be better for Cena (and do let me know your views on this) is that he should go away for a long while, about 5 months and come back as a cocky, arrogant heel who only wears suits, wrestles in proper attire and is no longer John Cena but simply JC...he should be a 'great wrestler' because we know he has wrestling ability (Prototype gimmick in OVW) and his character is what limits that now.Any thoughts?

Luckyman--logo is good, no need to change it yet.

Did you guys hear/read Hogan's comments about Wrestlemania 23--he says McMahon wants him to be the Babe Ruth of wrestling and be in the main event 20 years after he slammed Andre the Giant at Wrestlemania 3 (the one he never bloody well shuts up about, he forgets he was,is and forever will be a poor actual wrestler), possibly to face Austin.I would like that on one condition...Austin gets the clean 1-2-3 after a Stunner, no legdrop crap.
Don't think Austin will agree to it anyway, and personally if I was Austin the only people I would entrust my final match to would be either Kurt Angle , Triple H, The Undertaker (Austin ends Wrestlemania winning streak?) or the Rock again...my personal pick would be Angle.

Anyway, thanks for chatting.

Ryan
First of all the logo is cool, leave it for a while at least. I've mentioned my thoughts on Flair/Foley so I won't go on about it again. The Foley situation has been very badly done. One minute he hates Edge and Lita and the next they are having a threesome...just so pathetic.

I used to like Cena because he reminded me stightly of Stone Cold with his mic skills and arrogance. However, his lenghty title reigns and the fact he overcame stupid odds week after week got me very annoyed with the angle he was being asked to do and so eventually I agreed with the anti-Cena chants. I think Cena will turn heel at some point in the near future, his promos in the last couple of weeks seem to have indicated so. I don't think he'll give up the gangsta image though because WWE can milk more money if he releases another album.

Hogan/Austin was reported last summer for Wrestlemania 22. I guess they are circulating again. I'm not so bothered about Hogan, I wasn't even born when Hulkamania was running wild! His stuff with The Rock was very good but it wouldn't matter to me if he never appeared again.

As for Austin, I would love to see him have a lenghty return as a full-time wrestler. However, everytime he comes back the WWE management always seems to piss him off and he leaves again. He is the type of guy to create excitement out of nothing and there has never been anybody else in history, except Hogan, to pretty much single-handedly carry the WWE like Austin did in the late 90s-early 2000s. An Austin return at Royal Rumble (maybe even earlier) leading to a Wrestlemania match would be very cool, particularly if he was given a quality match. The Rock would be my favourite opponent, but then again The Rock doing anything in WWE again would be superb.

Also, why is WWE putting so much emphasis on DX in the past consisting of HHH, HBK and Chyna? Why is Chyna in most pictures of the group when the Outlaws and X-Pac aren't?

And where the hell is The Undertaker?
I definitely agree that an Austin return as a full time wrestler would be amazing but it simply won't happen, due to the fact that he is now 40 and his neck problems mean he simply cannot do it...sure the plan was for him to come back semi-full time when he returned at No Way Out 2003 but he and management quickly realised his neck problems were more severe than previously thought, hence last match with the Rock.I do hope his movie career will kick off though.As for the Rock, I want him back so badly...in one sense I want his movie career to take a turn for the worse so he comes back.Think about it--Wrestlemania 24 main event: World Heavyweight Champion The Rock vs Mr Kennedy...Kennedy, that feud and the promos would be something.

The Undertaker is on the road with Smackdown at the moment just not on tv, he fought Khali in a dark match after this week's taping.I'm betting on a Khali-Undertaker Casket Match for Summerslam though.He is class though, seeing him live right in front of your eyes is truly amazing, also considering he never really goes on the overseas tours.

As for the DX thing, it's probably because the Outlaws and X-Pac have been/are heavily associated with NWATNA whereas Chyna is just well,er ,mad as a hatter.

Ryan

PS: Uzi123, ECW is on on Sunday nights but the results are posted after it is taped and aired in the US from Wednesday.
deipnosophy
Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.

I definitely agree Vengeance has potential and that I suppose my thoughts on the Flair/Foley match are more hopes really, but I want both men to at least give it their best shot, as most of the time I feel Flair can do more than what he does, I mean he went 30 mins with HHH in their last man standing bout last year and 20 mins with HBK in 2003.

Cena's popularity has declined badly and I feel now that most fans are indifferent towards him now, as they know he will be in the title picture for a while yet.What I envision i.e. what I think would be better for Cena (and do let me know your views on this) is that he should go away for a long while, about 5 months and come back as a cocky, arrogant heel who only wears suits, wrestles in proper attire and is no longer John Cena but simply JC...he should be a 'great wrestler' because we know he has wrestling ability (Prototype gimmick in OVW) and his character is what limits that now.Any thoughts?

Luckyman--logo is good, no need to change it yet.

Did you guys hear/read Hogan's comments about Wrestlemania 23--he says McMahon wants him to be the Babe Ruth of wrestling and be in the main event 20 years after he slammed Andre the Giant at Wrestlemania 3 (the one he never bloody well shuts up about, he forgets he was,is and forever will be a poor actual wrestler), possibly to face Austin.I would like that on one condition...Austin gets the clean 1-2-3 after a Stunner, no legdrop crap.
Don't think Austin will agree to it anyway, and personally if I was Austin the only people I would entrust my final match to would be either Kurt Angle , Triple H, The Undertaker (Austin ends Wrestlemania winning streak?) or the Rock again...my personal pick would be Angle.

Anyway, thanks for chatting.

Ryan

nooooooooooooooo he cant become john bradshaw layfield

he should develop an attitude like he seems to be doing now , and become a heel , he has the charisma , just a shame that the WWF have tried to kill his character by having him win like superman every single time

also austin left with dignity after Wrestlemania XIX I dont think he will have another match and i dont think he should, He has got to be over 40 now, his injuries are numurous , he left at the top unlike Hogan

Hogans match with the Rock was good , for the atmosphere and background, but not the wrestling. I thought it was great that Angle made Hogan tap:biggrin:

Flair i'm not convinced about , the second money in the bank match was terrible , why was he, lashley and finlay there? they are not suited to this type of match
themasked kane is apparently>>>>>Drew Hankinson aka Freakin' Deacon and
the original kane that has always been played by the same person is called Glenn Jacobs.

you cans see kanes return here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDQaYZTQkCU&search=kane%20wwe

Latest