The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My brothers watch it, so when im in the same room i have no choice BUT to watch it.

I think the WWE girls is the most sexist and anti-feminism thing i have ever seen, definately doesn't give a good impression of women, i hate seeing it when its on.
Reply 1781
tis_me_lord
Kane without a mask is awful, I agree. This is because he has always been an appauling wrestler (in my opinion) but that didn't really matter because he has such an amazing image, probably the best in the WWF which boosted him right up to being my second favourite wrestler.

But take away his gimmick and he is nothing. Charisma trumps in ring ability anyday. I never even thought much of Steve Austin (all he did was punch) OR the rock (though he sold moves well, not as well as HBK though) ... yet they are pretty much the two biggest names ever. Don't get me started on Hulk Hogans in ring ability either.

So yeah without his mask Kane just needs to retire already. Shame because when he newly arrived on the scene he delivered perhaps my favourite ever WWF moment when he was on the ramp and stretched out his arm to the undertaker who was in the ring, who then got on his knees and put his arm out too - and flames came up everywhere.

Hard to describe, you guys probably don't know what I'm talking about. But it was a great moment. What is everyone elses favourite moment/s?

I remember that! Was really kool. Kane pretended to side with Taker against DX. But Kane betrayed him at the Royal Rumble and set the casket on fire while he was inside. I remember Kanes debut. I nearly pissed my pants coz I was watching Bad Blood live in the dark :redface:

I don't have one defining fave moment tbh. Just loads of em. Usually involving The Rock or Austin, or anyone from the attitude era. Man those were the days......
uzi786
I remember that! Was really kool. Kane pretended to side with Taker against DX. But Kane betrayed him at the Royal Rumble and set the casket on fire while he was inside. I remember Kanes debut. I nearly pissed my pants coz I was watching Bad Blood live in the dark :redface:

I don't have one defining fave moment tbh. Just loads of em. Usually involving The Rock or Austin, or anyone from the attitude era. Man those were the days......

Yup I have bad blood and the 1998 royal rumble on video. Both great events.

Royal rumbles were always my favourites, I have 96, 97, 98, 99 and 2000 on video. I like the whole mystery of who will be in next. :biggrin:
Reply 1783
tis_me_lord
Yup I have bad blood and the 1998 royal rumble on video. Both great events.

Royal rumbles were always my favourites, I have 96, 97, 98, 99 and 2000 on video. I like the whole mystery of who will be in next. :biggrin:

Yeah, I love the RRs too. And as much as I hate Cena, him even being there this year was a massive shock.
tis_me_lord
Kane stopped wearing a mask because he was getting too hot in it. I hope you mean hot as in, because it had flames on it, rather than sexy. :p:

I know Mick Foley hated wrestling in a mask as Mankind. He said it got really sweaty and smelly.

Mick Foley is GOD. I love that guy so much. I pretty much stopped watching around the time he retired in early 2000. The other greats were all leaving at the same sort of time anyway which made it easier to stop watching.

Heh Oh No It was a sexy mask :smile:
Thats pretty much the same time I stopped watching, I Loved Mick Foley.. Sad as it is I think I cried to that hell in a cell match vs Triple H where he lost and had to leave.. The guy rocked. Cactus jack Foreva :smile:

Anna, Yeah the representation of women is terrible, for the whole part I Ignore it - Bra and panties matches.. Jeez. But then again there a majority male audience so they play on that.
Ah RRs rock, I remember growing up we had some old ones on tapes and I used to watch em all the time. I watched the 1988 Royal rumble the other day.. Ah class. Juat lvoe having so many people in the ring at once!

I Loved the Steve Austin/Vince Mcmahon thing, it was hillarious all the things steve did to him.
Paul Barer(sp?) used to scare the hell out of me! I remember watching amatch when the undertaker returned and everyone thought he was dead and the bells chiming out, pitch black.. I love how I used to get so scared.
Hanzing
Ah RRs rock, I remember growing up we had some old ones on tapes and I used to watch em all the time. I watched the 1988 Royal rumble the other day.. Ah class. Juat lvoe having so many people in the ring at once!

I Loved the Steve Austin/Vince Mcmahon thing, it was hillarious all the things steve did to him.
Paul Barer(sp?) used to scare the hell out of me! I remember watching amatch when the undertaker returned and everyone thought he was dead and the bells chiming out, pitch black.. I love how I used to get so scared.

Ah the 98 rumble, Cactus and Terry handing the chairs to eachother so they could smash eachother in the face.

I always found it amusing how some people would get eliminated after like 5 seconds. The guy would have to travel for Gods knows how long just to do that, so pointless. :biggrin:
Yeah, they go in and like a minute later there outta there!
I Just found the 1989 Rumble on Veoh, so think I might give that a watch now :smile:
Hanzing
Yeah, they go in and like a minute later there outta there!
I Just found the 1989 Rumble on Veoh, so think I might give that a watch now :smile:

1989? I didn't know they had gone on that long!

Was Taker around by then? If it was a typo and you meant 99 - then that is a pretty good RR though the leaving the ring thing got annoying.
Yea I suppose the representation of women ain't great, but with the demographic, that's what works. Though I believe the Divas certainly represent (at least subjectively) strong, independent women, who can find a helluva lot of success even in a male dominated environment, e.g. Trish.
And not all Divas are exploited (if you will), Molly Holly being the example. She's a devout Christian and left WWE on good terms, and says she would come back any time.

Undertaker and Michaels are still around, fake plastic love, I'd say they're still 'good'. Plus Edge is arguably at the peak of his career, though admittedly it did take him 8 years to reach the top.

The McMahon-Helmsley era was a great time in the business, fun to watch and it garnered big ratings. The times when The Great One threatenend a full walkout if Mick wasn't reinstated and when Jericho 'won' the title stand out as two of the best moments.
Taker debuted at Survivor Series 1990 (seems so long ago now) so he wouldn't have been in RR 89.

The 99 Rumble event was great, maybe the greatest in history, considering the Rock/Mankind match and the Rumble itself, when the McMahon/Austin feud was probably at its height. Yea it was a strange rumble, due to not all of it being centred in the ring, but it was great drama. McMahon coming out all oiled up and ripped, as Barry Blaustein said in Beyond The Mat, what CEO of a billion-dollar company comes out half-naked to get beaten up by the companys' biggest asset? He may be an ******* and completely mad at times, but Vinnie Mac knows what's good for business.
tis_me_lord
1989? I didn't know they had gone on that long!

Was Taker around by then? If it was a typo and you meant 99 - then that is a pretty good RR though the leaving the ring thing got annoying.

Yeah, the first royal rumble ws in 1988. Im watching the 1989 now.. I was only 3 then.. scary. Nope before his time, more hulk holgan, andre the giant and shaun micheals when he was young!
deipnosophy
Yea I suppose the representation of women ain't great, but with the demographic, that's what works. Though I believe the Divas certainly represent (at least subjectively) strong, independent women, who can find a helluva lot of success even in a male dominated environment, e.g. Trish.
And not all Divas are exploited (if you will), Molly Holly being the example. She's a devout Christian and left WWE on good terms, and says she would come back any time.

Undertaker and Michaels are still around, fake plastic love, I'd say they're still 'good'. Plus Edge is arguably at the peak of his career, though admittedly it did take him 8 years to reach the top.

The McMahon-Helmsley era was a great time in the business, fun to watch and it garnered big ratings. The times when The Great One threatenend a full walkout if Mick wasn't reinstated and when Jericho 'won' the title stand out as two of the best moments.

Yeah, I do think some of the divas are pretty cool. They wont do things they dont want to, just turns out half of them want to be glamour models and pose for playboy and that kind of thing. I think its mainly women being used as valets which others me because there just there to be pretty for the man. Ah well.
How the hell is it sexist? It's the womens fault if they actually do it, lol. It's not like they're being forced into it.

If a women who wants to be taken seriously comes along the WWF/WWE gives her full reign to wrestle properly, e.g. Chyna. If attractive women are too lazy to get proper jobs then they deserve what they get.
uzi786
Yeah, I love the RRs too. And as much as I hate Cena, him even being there this year was a massive shock.

I Just watched this one, Good stuff. Heh, I Loved how they went wild for Cena!
Anyone online wanna chat on msn? I would like a wrestlng expert :smile:
Reply 1796
kacas
Anyone online wanna chat on msn? I would like a wrestlng expert :smile:

Just post here, you'll get much more info from different people.
Reply 1797
lmFAO
fair enough!
Reply 1799
kacas
Hey,

A question to all WWE Fans! Out of interest.

Are you regular sport watchers? or do you watch no other sport??

I'm far from a regular watch. In fact, I seldom watch these days, and when I do it's more for nostalgic reasons than anything else. Reminiscing about when WWE was the thing and how we always used to try out moves on each other in the park. I watch quite a few other sports, mainly football.

kacas
Do you use WWE as a form of pure entertainment to turn your brain off to!

Not particularly. With some wrestlers, there's a lot to watch from a technical view point (Brett Hart in the past. There's no one that compares now, although I don't watch it much so there could be) and some are exciting, aesthetically pleasing wrestlers, such as Jeff Hardy. We don't all do a reverse Festus when the bell rings you know! :p:

kacas
I'm just curious as to what motivates people to watch it ( I watch it myself)
and also wanted to see if even the most intelligent of the TSR watch it!!

Any thoughts and reflections please

Like I said, I think a lot of people would watch it for nostalgic reasons, a lot of people are genuinely entertained by it (in the same way you would be entertained by a soap or any other melodrama) and a lot of people just watch it 'cos they're bored. It has lost a certain cutting edge, and as you mature it's naturally going to do less for you, but there's always hope of rekindling that old spark :wink2:

Latest