The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Geography A Unit 2: Human Geography 12th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing Tourism, Development Gap and Urban development. I don't even know where to begin. Any help? :s-smilie:
Original post by krishthakrar
do you have to use case studies to get full marks if they don't say you do in the question? cos I didn't use any for phsyical geography

In the past papers they often say "Use a named example" for the longer questions - you probably need to use a case study in these questions.
Reply 22
Hey guys, could someone please tell me if the case studies I am doing are okay? I wasn't too sure about them, as many people are doing the same case studies which I haven't done. :/

Population change: China's one child policy, Ageing population in the UK
Changing urban environments: Redevelopment of Sao Paulo/Cairo, BedZED (sustainable living, example of eco-village)
Development gap: Grameen Bank/Development in Korem, Ethiopia (for development project); Not sure what to do for natural disaster, should I do some from what we learnt in the restless earth section for physical?

Could someone please tell me if I need to do any more case studies, or if there are better ones I can do, and where to find these case studies (I don't have a revision guide :frown: )

Thanks in advance :smile:

Zain
Reply 23
Original post by zcharfare
Hey guys, could someone please tell me if the case studies I am doing are okay? I wasn't too sure about them, as many people are doing the same case studies which I haven't done. :/

Population change: China's one child policy, Ageing population in the UK
Changing urban environments: Redevelopment of Sao Paulo/Cairo, BedZED (sustainable living, example of eco-village)
Development gap: Grameen Bank/Development in Korem, Ethiopia (for development project); Not sure what to do for natural disaster, should I do some from what we learnt in the restless earth section for physical?

Could someone please tell me if I need to do any more case studies, or if there are better ones I can do, and where to find these case studies (I don't have a revision guide :frown: )

Thanks in advance :smile:

Zain

I'm doing Population change, development gap and tourism.

Population change: 5 countries on DTM, China's One Child Policy, Alternative birth control in Kerala India, France pro-natal solution, Uk ageing population, migration from the Poland to the UK, Refugees from Iraq and Migration from Senegal to Italy. You need to know all these really or alternatives

Development Gap: 5 fold division example, Hurricane Ivan, Corruption in Zimbabwe (small CS), Bolivia Conservation Swap, Cahora Bassa Dam, Action Aid, Community youth programme (SWP), Bulgaria V UK.

Tourism: Dubai, Blackpool, Lake District, Kenya, Antarctica and Galapagos Island.

I'm covering my back by learning extra case studies, suggest you do the same as I did this in unit 1 and got 100%!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Does anyone have the June 2012 insert that they can send me. On the AQA website it has the QP and MS but not the insert
Reply 25
I was wondering, if anyone else is doing changing urban environments whether we had to do a case study for revitalising an inner city
Reply 26
Original post by Loveart99
I was wondering, if anyone else is doing changing urban environments whether we had to do a case study for revitalising an inner city

I do urban, we have to do, "re-imaging the city" "squatter settlement redevelopment" and "sustainable urban living"
Reply 27

Original post by elliec_
I do urban, we have to do, "re-imaging the city" "squatter settlement redevelopment" and "sustainable urban living"

Whew, okay I do both of those case studies... Are you saying that there isn't another one? (excluding the one about attempts to solve problems in developing cities)
Reply 28
Original post by Loveart99

Whew, okay I do both of those case studies... Are you saying that there isn't another one? (excluding the one about attempts to solve problems in developing cities)

they're the only ones we've been told, here is a photo of the AQA specification and the list I have from school ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370892965.726646.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370892995.835648.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by tom_97
Does anyone have the June 2012 insert that they can send me. On the AQA website it has the QP and MS but not the insert

Oh that would be great of someone had it! I couldn't find it either. It p****d me off because I couldn't answer some questions. I don't get why it isn't there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Adam5551
I'm doing AQA GCSE GEOGRAPHY WEDNESDAY 12th Q1,2 and 6
TOURISM URBANISATION AND POPULATION I THINK ANY TIPS?

OMG WHAT'S WITH THE CAPITALS!!!! I'm doing the exact same topics as you and I'd say to always write as much detail as you can and learn all the case studies and basically everything. I've got a feeling we may get a horrible question this year that's why. With things like graphs and charts in population use figures and data manipulation and when you can write advantages and disadvantages for any question. Also try to include things like social, economic, environmental and political factors instead of just one. With this exam if you know what you're talking about then you should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by samy1014
omg what's with the capitals!!!! I'm doing the exact same topics as you and i'd say to always write as much detail as you can and learn all the case studies and basically everything. I've got a feeling we may get a horrible question this year that's why. With things like graphs and charts in population use figures and data manipulation and when you can write advantages and disadvantages for any question. Also try to include things like social, economic, environmental and political factors instead of just one. With this exam if you know what you're talking about then you should be fine.

posted from tsr mobile

thank you im stressing man ya feel me and the thing i dont know nattin so what shall i do all day tomorrow?
Reply 32
Original post by Adam5551
thank you im stressing man ya feel me and the thing i dont know nattin so what shall i do all day tomorrow?

Well isn't it obvious? If you've got no exams and nothing useful to do tomorrow then revise, revise revise! Have you done any of the past papers yet? There's 3 and a specimen. I wouldn't expect you to do them all in a day but you should do one if you haven't already. The style of questions are very similar every year. But learn your case studies because they're worth a lot of marks that aren't that hard to get if you know then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Btw guys I don't know if you know this or not but this year there will be 3 additional marks on the case study questions for spelling, punctuation and grammar due to government requirements. It will be written as SPaG on the paper and bring the total of each question up from 25 to 28 and the grand total will go from 75 to 84. They shouldn't be hard marks to get but I thought that you all should know about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am doing Population, Development and Tourism - does anyone have any predictions of whats coming up?
Reply 35
i'm doing, changing urban and rural environments and tourism. there was no map work questions in the last exam, does anyone hav any idea of what sort of mapwork question might come up in these three topics, if any

thanx.
Reply 36
anyone hav any ideas bout the 8 markers aswell for these three topics?

changing urban environments
changing rural environments
tourism
Reply 37
Original post by samy1014
Btw guys I don't know if you know this or not but this year there will be 3 additional marks on the case study questions for spelling, punctuation and grammar due to government requirements. It will be written as SPaG on the paper and bring the total of each question up from 25 to 28 and the grand total will go from 75 to 84. They shouldn't be hard marks to get but I thought that you all should know about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

that doesn't sound too bad, bt if its out of 84, then wil the grade boundaries be higher for an A*? i suppose its a good way to bank 9 marks. is it for both physical and human paper or jus the human paper?
Reply 38
Original post by alexwilliams1996
I am doing Population, Development and Tourism - does anyone have any predictions of whats coming up?

I'm going through everything especially the case studies which is what everyone is saying on here.
Reply 39
so in other words, the case study is out of 11??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending