The Student Room Group

Revising Geogrpahy

I loved geography in year 7/8 as the teacher had a clear passion for the subject which then made me passionate. I chose the subject for GCSE, getting a new teacher in year 9. He was so dull, on paper he’d be the perfect teacher, he’s quite popular on teacher twitter, he has 16k and has loads of popular teaching books that are like number 1 on amazon for their genre. That being said, being smart at your subject doesn’t mean you can teach it. At first I thought it was just me being silly, but then I was talking to some friends but not really friends, those people that you can have a chat with but your not friends. Anyways I offhandedly mentioned about how my bestfriend always has to wake me up in his lessons because I find myself drifting off, which has never happened ever, but it is honestly down to the fact of how dull he is. He just sits at his desk reading through slides and putting videos on, whereas the other geography teacher who covered for a lessons sometimes would be doing group activities and getting us involved and would be stood up, and was very passionate. My geography teacher just sounded like me when I’m forced to read out a paragraph in a lesson. My friends were laughing and they all agreed, and said about how they found him so boring and one of them said the only reason they weren’t failing was because her dad was a geography teacher. Another thing to note is this teacher would always miss lessons because he would be at teacher conferences, whether it was representing my school, or for his own business from twitter and his books. So we’d have a substitute, we only rarely would have the other geography teacher, only for this one random week. I’m in the top set, somehow, so everyone would revise outside of school hence their good results. With myself, it was already difficult to find time to revise as I live an hour away from school and I always have social workers visiting or things to fill out as I’m in care; or on the other hand I’m always at my nans at the weekend, and it’s the only family time I get in the week, so obviously I’m focused on spending time with my nan and big sister, not revising the water cycle. I would be motivated to revise, and I’d always ask him to put the resources and slides on our classroom but he never would- never. So I didn’t have anything to revise. This year I have a new geography teacher, any teacher is better than him, and even if she’s the same, it’s year 10 and i’m changing my work ethic and mindset. I used to tell myself it was fine that I didn’t revise or put as much effort in because I’m in care and can’t control that, but even when I had time to revise; I just wouldn’t. My school ends at 4pm, so I get home at 5/6pm, and then have dinner so I only really have about 5/6 hours until I go to sleep, one of which will be used having dinner, and another will be used if I’m having a bath, so I’m left with only 2/4 hours. So I’ve made a revision timetable, and allocated 2 hours a week to revise geography; as I don’t want to be getting 40/50% when I could easily be getting 60/80%. It’s not like I don’t understand geography, I only never remember any of it as I don’t go back and revise it. I do struggle with the physical side and things like how a waterfall is formed and some of the 9 human markers. I want to study Med/Vet Med but my backup option is being an English/Geography teacher, as I do like geography. The only catch is I don’t have any resources, and I’m serious about getting at least a 7 in my year 10 mocks so any revision resources/guides/websites/tips would be massively appreciated. For context I’m studying the AQA spec, Thankyou :smile:
Hello,

I am doing AQA and there is a textbook for it which I'd say is pretty good at covering most things. You want to be looking at additional resources and information for mainly the case studies. So for example for my urban case study i was looking at Rio as that was in the textbook, but any other case study from other exam boards for example is perfectly fine as long as you back it up with facts and statistics. A few good resources are:

- The CGP revision guide with revision questions- can get it on Amazon probably

- Physics and Maths tutor

- Lots of articles out there especially for the case studies ( you can just search up "AQA GCSE Geography Banbury floods case study" for example

I personally find physical much easier as I tend to remember the processes with a story and an image. For example, draw out the processes to how a waterfall forms while actually saying what is happening.

Make flashcards for all the key terms as mentioning key terms in your answers will definitely bag you some marks.

For 9 markers, understand how to structure the answer and just do loads of practice. Also understand how to do evaluations.

Do regular practice questions as well, so if you revised 1 hour of coasts, spend the other hour during the week doing practice questions on it. If possible, even get a friend to mark it as other people will tend to mark more strictly compared to yourself.

For your case studies, there is a lot of unnecessary information out there, so definitely summarise into main facts and ones that you can definitely memorise for the exam. Also, the numbers don't need to be on point, an approximately accurate one is acceptable
Hi - see if 'Mr. Hunt's Geography Channel' on YouTube would be of help to you - he has 80+ short videos covering the entire GCSE Geography syllabus that you can make flashcards or notes from, which are OCR B spec but also valuable for AQA. He explains how to get a grade 9 in GCSE geography and his videos include fieldwork, case studies and relevant GCSE topics. He is an examiner and Head of Geography and always happy to answer students' questions. Hope this helps.
Original post by c.george
I loved geography in year 7/8 as the teacher had a clear passion for the subject which then made me passionate. I chose the subject for GCSE, getting a new teacher in year 9. He was so dull, on paper he’d be the perfect teacher, he’s quite popular on teacher twitter, he has 16k and has loads of popular teaching books that are like number 1 on amazon for their genre. That being said, being smart at your subject doesn’t mean you can teach it. At first I thought it was just me being silly, but then I was talking to some friends but not really friends, those people that you can have a chat with but your not friends. Anyways I offhandedly mentioned about how my bestfriend always has to wake me up in his lessons because I find myself drifting off, which has never happened ever, but it is honestly down to the fact of how dull he is. He just sits at his desk reading through slides and putting videos on, whereas the other geography teacher who covered for a lessons sometimes would be doing group activities and getting us involved and would be stood up, and was very passionate. My geography teacher just sounded like me when I’m forced to read out a paragraph in a lesson. My friends were laughing and they all agreed, and said about how they found him so boring and one of them said the only reason they weren’t failing was because her dad was a geography teacher. Another thing to note is this teacher would always miss lessons because he would be at teacher conferences, whether it was representing my school, or for his own business from twitter and his books. So we’d have a substitute, we only rarely would have the other geography teacher, only for this one random week. I’m in the top set, somehow, so everyone would revise outside of school hence their good results. With myself, it was already difficult to find time to revise as I live an hour away from school and I always have social workers visiting or things to fill out as I’m in care; or on the other hand I’m always at my nans at the weekend, and it’s the only family time I get in the week, so obviously I’m focused on spending time with my nan and big sister, not revising the water cycle. I would be motivated to revise, and I’d always ask him to put the resources and slides on our classroom but he never would- never. So I didn’t have anything to revise. This year I have a new geography teacher, any teacher is better than him, and even if she’s the same, it’s year 10 and i’m changing my work ethic and mindset. I used to tell myself it was fine that I didn’t revise or put as much effort in because I’m in care and can’t control that, but even when I had time to revise; I just wouldn’t. My school ends at 4pm, so I get home at 5/6pm, and then have dinner so I only really have about 5/6 hours until I go to sleep, one of which will be used having dinner, and another will be used if I’m having a bath, so I’m left with only 2/4 hours. So I’ve made a revision timetable, and allocated 2 hours a week to revise geography; as I don’t want to be getting 40/50% when I could easily be getting 60/80%. It’s not like I don’t understand geography, I only never remember any of it as I don’t go back and revise it. I do struggle with the physical side and things like how a waterfall is formed and some of the 9 human markers. I want to study Med/Vet Med but my backup option is being an English/Geography teacher, as I do like geography. The only catch is I don’t have any resources, and I’m serious about getting at least a 7 in my year 10 mocks so any revision resources/guides/websites/tips would be massively appreciated. For context I’m studying the AQA spec, Thankyou :smile:

https://www.stuvia.com/en-gb/doc/361...u-need-to-know

I got 9 in geography, and ive uploaded my paper 1 notes.
First off get your content nailed ie understand everythin in the first place. Next step is memorizing. Theres multiple methods including flashcards and blurting. I recommend blurting but everyones dif n yeah its that simple. Oh and do past qs as many as you can get your hands on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending