The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Further Pure 1 Answers June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by numlock1
Something small, but do you think you'd lose marks for not putting brackets around arg z-3i ?

Cheers

No.
Original post by Alex Newton
For question 6)i) I put (Z-3i)=arg(pi/4) (so basicly put the arg on the wrong side) - did the same thing again in my inequalities for ii). How many marks do you think I would lose?
Thanks for the answers :smile:

Unfortunately I think you will lose at least one mark for i) and ii).

And you are welcome.
Reply 42
Has anyone got the paper to scan in please.
Reply 43
Original post by Mr M
I don't think you will get anything for 6i but I might be wrong.

On 6ii you will get 2 marks for the arg z inequality

And no to the FP3 answers.

Hi Mr M, for the last question I only worked out the first line of cofactors and when I did my inverse I forgot to use the sign matrix so I ended up with different numerators but had the a+3. How many marks would I lose?

Also for 6 I put arg (z-3i) but I didn't specify the angle and I also put C=z-3i but didn't specify the length 3. How many marks would I lose?
alloww, i put 1/2n(n+1)(2n^2-1)..................anyone no what that would get me??
Reply 45
Mr M,

for question 6 I wrote it as arg L =( pi/4) + 3i

how many marks will I lose?
Original post by a10
Hi Mr M, for the last question I only worked out the first line of cofactors and when I did my inverse I forgot to use the sign matrix so I ended up with different numerators but had the a+3. How many marks would I lose?

Also for 6 I put arg (z-3i) but I didn't specify the angle and I also put C=z-3i but didn't specify the length 3. How many marks would I lose?

Probably just drop 1 or maybe 2 for the inverse problem.

I think you will just get one mark for identifying z - 3i
Original post by rossmafudge
alloww, i put 1/2n(n+1)(2n^2-1)..................anyone no what that would get me??

That isn't right so isn't worth anything if that is all you put.

If some of the working out leading to this wrong result was correct, then you will get some credit.
Original post by Stabob
Mr M,

for question 6 I wrote it as arg L =( pi/4) + 3i

how many marks will I lose?

You'll get one mark out of 2 for that bit for identifying pi/4
Reply 49
Mr M, do you know how the 90 UMS grade boundary is worked out? If say the A boundary is 63 and B boundary is 57 say (like Jan 2013)

I know, usually, there is a ' cap' whereby you double the distance between the A and B boundary. But in this case, that would be 75/72, which isn't possible,

In cases like this, is 90UMS just calculated half way between the A boundary and max mark? so 67/68 in the above case?
Original post by sj_1995
Mr M, do you know how the 90 UMS grade boundary is worked out? If say the A boundary is 63 and B boundary is 57 say (like Jan 2013)

I know, usually, there is a ' cap' whereby you double the distance between the A and B boundary. But in this case, that would be 75/72, which isn't possible,

In cases like this, is 90UMS just calculated half way between the A boundary and max mark? so 67/68 in the above case?

I'm not sure - does it really matter?
Reply 51
Original post by Mr M
I'm not sure - does it really matter?

Not entirely, I only ask because if the A/80 UMS boundary is quite high for this paper (has been 65 in the past), it could mean 90 UMS is near on full marks. Thanks anyway!
Original post by sj_1995
Not entirely, I only ask because if the A/80 UMS boundary is quite high for this paper (has been 65 in the past), it could mean 90 UMS is near on full marks. Thanks anyway!

I agree that it was a pretty straightforward paper so the boundary is likely to be quite high.
Reply 53
Original post by Mr M
Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Further Pure 1 Answers June 2013

1. a=3a=\sqrt 3

z=23|z|=2\sqrt{3}

z3=i3z^*-3=-i\sqrt3 (6 marks)

2. (i) (723)\begin{pmatrix} 7 & 23 \end{pmatrix}

(ii) (615410)\begin{pmatrix} 6 & -15 \\4& -10 \end{pmatrix}

Singular because the determinant = 0 (5 marks)

3. 25+3i2\sqrt5+3i and 253i-2\sqrt5-3i (6 marks)

4. Proof (6 marks)

5. n3(n+1)n^3(n+1) (6 marks)

6. (i) arg (z - 3i) = π4\frac{\pi}{4}

z3i=3|z-3i|=3

(ii) z3i3|z-3i| \leq 3 and π4\frac{\pi}{4} \leq arg (z - 3i) π2\leq \frac{\pi}{2} (3 marks)

7 (i) (0110)\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\-1 & 0 \end{pmatrix} (2 marks)

(ii) (1001)\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\0& -1 \end{pmatrix} (2 marks)

(iii) (0110)\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\1 & 0 \end{pmatrix} (2 marks)

(iv) Reflection in the line y = x (2 marks)

8. 3k11k\frac{3k-11}{k} (6 marks)

9. (i) Show (2 marks)

(ii) Show (6 marks)

10. (i) a=3a=-3 (5 marks)

(ii) 1a+3(1117a412a118a3a2)\frac{1}{a+3} \begin{pmatrix} 1 & -1 & 1 \\7 & a-4 & 1-2a \\-11 & 8-a & 3a-2 \end{pmatrix}

x=2a+3x=\frac{2}{a+3}

y=24aa+3y=\frac{2-4a}{a+3}

z=7a1a+3z=\frac{7a-1}{a+3} (7 marks)

Q6i) i put |c-3i|=3 is that ok? Will i drop any marks
Reply 54
In question 7 is it fine to leave the rotation matrix in trig form?
Reply 55
Hi. I think I got everything right other than two silly mistakes:

For Q6 ii) I only did the circle inequality, for the other one I put arg (z-3i) > (greater than or same as) pi/4 but forgot pi/2 completely.

The other error was on Q9) ii), I forgot to times by 1/3 so i couldn't prove it.

How many marks will I loose Mr M?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Arsenal121
Q6i) i put |c-3i|=3 is that ok? Will i drop any marks

No that's ok.
Original post by juicyyy
In question 7 is it fine to leave the rotation matrix in trig form?

That shows a certain lack of understanding - if you are unlucky lose 1 mark.
Original post by hi1345
Hi. I think I got everything right other than two silly mistakes:

For Q6 ii) I only did the circle inequality, for the other one I put arg (z-3i) > (greater than or same as) pi/4 but forgot pi/2 completely.

The other error was on Q9) ii), I forgot to times by 1/3 so i couldn't prove it.

How many marks will I loose Mr M?

Lose 1 or 2 for 6ii)

Lose 2 marks on 9ii) if you got quite far through the proof

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending