The Student Room Group

Grade boundaries and grade allocations.

Okay so this may be dumb but no one has ever managed to explain this to me in my school so asking here lol

So Grade boundaries essentially consider the performance of everyone on the exam, meaning that across the years people get the same grade for the same performance right?

So why do some qualifications, for example WJEC Further Mathematics, give over 50% of their candidates A*, whereas other qualifications give as low as 10% of candidates an A*?

I’ve taken into consideration candidate number sizes, and don’t think that can cause such a disparity.

Thanks to anyone who can answer!
Reply 1
im not exactly sure but maybe its about the difficulty of the qualifications? Like if its more difficult the grade boundaries are lower so u need less percentage to get an A* whereas if its a generally easy qualification, the grade boundaries are put higher as a lot of people do really well so its more difficult to get an A* since u need to do better than a bunch of other people with already good results. if u get what I mean
Original post by mj_chu
Okay so this may be dumb but no one has ever managed to explain this to me in my school so asking here lol

So Grade boundaries essentially consider the performance of everyone on the exam, meaning that across the years people get the same grade for the same performance right?

So why do some qualifications, for example WJEC Further Mathematics, give over 50% of their candidates A*, whereas other qualifications give as low as 10% of candidates an A*?

I’ve taken into consideration candidate number sizes, and don’t think that can cause such a disparity.

Original post by Masad28
im not exactly sure but maybe its about the difficulty of the qualifications? Like if its more difficult the grade boundaries are lower so u need less percentage to get an A* whereas if its a generally easy qualification, the grade boundaries are put higher as a lot of people do really well so its more difficult to get an A* since u need to do better than a bunch of other people with already good results. if u get what I mean

Yeah but if the qualification is more difficult, it won't matter if the A* grade boundary is lower, since it would be harder to get to that boundary anyway. I just think that difficulty just varies between exam boards and subjects, can't really do much about that. E.g. I have to get like 95% for an A* in one subject but only 70% for an A* in another.
Reply 3
Original post by mj_chu

An external authority ensures that grades are comparable between all the exam boards.
Original post by Muttley79
An external authority ensures that grades are comparable between all the exam boards.

Yeah, that's true, but how close can you really get in terms of difficulty between exam boards for certain subjects? Like for English Lit, the texts set might be of varying difficulty, and there'll be different assessment objectives.
Reply 5
Original post by toxicgamage56
Yeah but if the qualification is more difficult, it won't matter if the A* grade boundary is lower, since it would be harder to get to that boundary anyway. I just think that difficulty just varies between exam boards and subjects, can't really do much about that. E.g. I have to get like 95% for an A* in one subject but only 70% for an A* in another.

For the differences between subjects there's more to it than just the difficulty of the exams. E.g. normally over 50% of students are awarded an A or higher in further maths but for English Language it's normally less than 20%, independent of how difficult both sets of exams are. This seems unfair but one of the reasons for it is that the talent pool for further maths is much stronger i.e. the average further maths A Level student did better in their GCSEs across all subjects than the average English Language A Level student.

If it was just set that for example, 20% of students should be awarded an A or higher in every subject then that would be very unfair for further maths students (just one example) because they would be competing against a very strong talent pool to get in the top 20%.
Reply 6
Yeah, that's true, but how close can you really get in terms of difficulty between exam boards for certain subjects? Like for English Lit, the texts set might be of varying difficulty, and there'll be different assessment objectives.

For an individual subject, it's not that the difficulty of the exams and grade boundaries are comparable between exam boards, it's that the grade distributions i.e. what percentage of students achieve a certain grade is comparable. But the talent pool between exam boards also affects these distributions. The talent pool for OCR MEI is on average higher than Edexcel for example, due to the types of schools that choose OCR MEI so OCR MEI grade distributions are different to Edexcel.
Reply 7
Original post by Notnek
For the differences between subjects there's more to it than just the difficulty of the exams.

If it was just set that for example, 20% of students should be awarded an A or higher in every subject then that would be very unfair for further maths students (just one example) because they would be competing against a very strong talent pool to get in the top 20%.

It did use to be like that in living memory - only a certain % got grade A. This was replaced by criterio marking so grade descriptors are used.
Reply 8

The grade descriptors are used. What one person finds 'easy' another might find 'difficult'
Reply 9
Original post by Notnek
For the differences between subjects there's more to it than just the difficulty of the exams. E.g. normally over 50% of students are awarded an A or higher in further maths but for English Language it's normally less than 20%, independent of how difficult both sets of exams are. This seems unfair but one of the reasons for it is that the talent pool for further maths is much stronger i.e. the average further maths A Level student did better in their GCSEs across all subjects than the average English Language A Level student.

Thanks for answering, I think you’re the only one who answered my question haha
Original post by Notnek

Yeah, I guess that's true. I do both Maths and English right now, and it feels quite unfair that I can get an A* in Maths with relative ease, but constantly struggle to even hit a B for English because of the incredibly high grade boundaries. 95% for an A* for English compared to 70% for an A* in Maths lol.

Quick Reply

Latest