The Student Room Group

A level trouble

Hi everyone!
I am in 6 form and nearly finishing my first year
At the start of the year I did Maths Chemistry Biology and Law. I got dropped from Law as I wasn't making any effort to do homework and revise for half term tests (which i regret)
So now I have no choice but to do Maths Chemistry and Biology at A2 next year.
I am loving maths atm and i wish to do a maths degree and I was wondering should I take further maths AS next year while doing Maths Chemistry Biology A2? Would it be too much work?
Also I hate biology but if I dropped it I would only do 2 A2 and 2 AS which isn't really recommended when applying to uni and will hinder my chances of getting a place
What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Can you not drop Biology and take up AS further maths? Sounds like that would be ideal for you.
Reply 2
Same thing here, for AS I took accounting, maths, business and chemistry.

I want to drop accounting, however I'm not really enjoying business and thinking of taking up AS FM.
Reply 3
Yes but that means i would have 2 AS and 2 AS but most unis require 3 a levels to be taken to A2
Original post by carrotstar
Can you not drop Biology and take up AS further maths? Sounds like that would be ideal for you.
Reply 4
It would be a lot of work, but if maths is something that comes fairly easy to you could you drop biology and do further maths AS and A2 in a year?
Original post by Badman1231
Hi everyone!
I am in 6 form and nearly finishing my first year
At the start of the year I did Maths Chemistry Biology and Law. I got dropped from Law as I wasn't making any effort to do homework and revise for half term tests (which i regret)
So now I have no choice but to do Maths Chemistry and Biology at A2 next year.
I am loving maths atm and i wish to do a maths degree and I was wondering should I take further maths AS next year while doing Maths Chemistry Biology A2? Would it be too much work?
Also I hate biology but if I dropped it I would only do 2 A2 and 2 AS which isn't really recommended when applying to uni and will hinder my chances of getting a place
What should I do?

Well don't be a "badman1231" and work then :wink:

Loads of us are in this situation and Gove hasn't made it easier by taking away january exams that would allow you to learn as level law over the summer and then do it, sign the eptition to bring it back, ask me for the link if you want :biggrin:
Reply 6
Damn, Never thought about that
Original post by Gnome :)
It would be a lot of work, but if maths is something that comes fairly easy to you could you drop biology and do further maths AS and A2 in a year?
Reply 7
Dont you worry I have already signed the petition, the fact that they have taken away January exams is bull****. That would have helped me greatly as i could have taken my AS further maths exams in January and focus on my big three for the summer exams
Original post by Blueray2
Well don't be a "badman1231" and work then :wink:

Loads of us are in this situation and Gove hasn't made it easier by taking away january exams that would allow you to learn as level law over the summer and then do it, sign the eptition to bring it back, ask me for the link if you want :biggrin:
Dont you worry I have already signed the petition, the fact that they have taken away January exams is bull****. That would have helped me greatly as i could have taken my AS further maths exams in January and focus on my big three for the summer exams

January exams are stupid! There shouldn't have been any anyway! And the point of education is not to be "easy"
Reply 9
Damn, Never thought about that

Just something to consider :smile: Of course you'd have to ask if your college would let you, and talk to your maths teacher to see if they'd think you could cope with it, but I'm sure people have done it in the past :smile: Not quite the same, but a guy in my health and social care class did the single AS level in first year, then took up the double AS plus the double A2 in second year meaning this year he has had to do a grand total of 9 assignments, each containing 4 essays, plus 3 exams, plus his other subjects. He didn't have much sanity left on coursework deadline day, but he did it :smile:
Reply 10
Yeah but there are people who have worked really hard in there AS exams but may have not got the grade they needed for their Uni course. The january exams act as back up and also take the stress away from doing AS exams aswell as A2 exams in the summer
Original post by Blake-inator
January exams are stupid! There shouldn't have been any anyway! And the point of education is not to be "easy"
Yeah but there are people who have worked really hard in there AS exams but may have not got the grade they needed for their Uni course. The january exams act as back up and also take the stress away from doing AS exams aswell as A2 exams in the summer

if you work really hard and do not succeed then you clearly didn't work hard enough or don't deserve the grade you want

tell me you don't want January exams when you are doing 13 exams (only one is a resit) next year in June like I am (and a few of my friends)
Original post by madmadmax321
tell me you don't want January exams when you are doing 13 exams (only one is a resit) next year in June like I am (and a few of my friends)

i will be doing 13 exams next year, and another 13 the year after (without retakes)... but its not going to be hard if you know everything for them, which you would coz youd make sure you do
i will be doing 13 exams next year, and another 13 the year after (without retakes)... but its not going to be hard if you know everything for them, which you would coz youd make sure you do

so by the sounds of your post your not even doing a-levels yet? If so then you can't even talk until you have started doing them full time in year 12, getting B's and A's and done some a-level exams
Original post by madmadmax321
so by the sounds of your post your not even doing a-levels yet? If so then you can't even talk until you have started doing them full time in year 12, getting B's and A's and done some a-level exams

sounds to me like you're just bitter because you perform badly? and fyi, i have done an a level exam... it was easy (obvs i know it was one of the easy ones but still)
besides which, it seems illogical to have things which make it easier... i also disagree with revision guides and past papers too! (i use them because everyone else does, so it only makes it fair)
sounds to me like you're just bitter because you perform badly? and fyi, i have done an a level exam... it was easy (obvs i know it was one of the easy ones but still)
besides which, it seems illogical to have things which make it easier... i also disagree with revision guides and past papers too! (i use them because everyone else does, so it only makes it fair)

nope not bitter im doing quite well (though I put a lot of work in) and predicted AAB, ABB is what I will probably get though

FYI you've done 1! a level exam not 13 at once but I have only had 5 at once and that was not very nice, aqa biology unit 2 has so much to learn and physics requires so much practice and chemistry is meh I find it relatively easy in comparison to the other sciences but then other people in my class dont

if you do physics and biolgy at a-level and dont use past papers then you will get crap grades, I do lots of past papers and one of my class mates doesn't but he knows the information alot better than me and he got and D in january and I got an A (low A though) because when he got his paper back he lost every single mark on the how science works questions and these cannot be picked up any way except exam practice

Just because somebody disagrees with you, who has had more experience with a levels, it doesn't mean they perform badly.
Statistically people who take four subjects, do not come out with grades as high as if they would have taken just the three.. It may be worth looking into universities and how many ucas points they will take from an AS level because it may not be worth it!

You could always consider taking a third year - i did and i found it really beneficial. I now have 5 AS levels and finishing my A2 levels but improved my grades so much in the second year. That way it takes the pressure off and you can have maths and further maths potentially meaning better a level grades at the end of the three years!

:smile:
Original post by lauraaaaa
Just because somebody disagrees with you, who has had more experience with a levels, it doesn't mean they perform badly.

i agree with the disagreeing part, but it has nothing to do with my experience.

he suggested that being able to retake more than once is a good thing, and he would only be suggesting it if it benefited him, because he did so badly that he needs to retake

Quick Reply

Latest