The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jam'
Gaming (like sims 3)...Web development...video rendering and using anything from the Adobe creative cloud suite and programming... That includes php development where I will have a local virtual Web server installed

It's okay, you can see they've cheaped out on the motherboard, case and I think they're still using the stock cooler as well. No SSD and OS as well. Could get more for your money if you built it yourself but only around ~ £50 saving if using the same parts.
Reply 381
Original post by Dilzo999
It's okay, you can see they've cheaped out on the motherboard, case and I think they're still using the stock cooler as well. No SSD and OS as well. Could get more for your money if you built it yourself but only around ~ £50 saving if using the same parts.

Ohh haha I thougt the gpu and cpu were really good from reviews.

Hmm would it be rude to ask you to draft up a better specced computer to build myself without OS for £700?
Reply 382

Will having a cheap motherboard and not using solid state cause performance issues?
Original post by Jam'
Will having a cheap motherboard and not using solid state cause performance issues?

A cheaper motherboard won't have good power control for overclocking, and bad features overall. I've compiled a list and it's quite a bit over £700 but you're getting a better case, better CPU, better motherboard and better GPU. If you think it's too much I can switch some stuff out for something cheaper.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by edd1234
Depending on how much you (Jam') are going to use it for gaming and graphics vs other things, I'd consider switching the i7 for this i5:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Graphics-BX80646I74770-Generation-Technology/dp/B00CO8TBOW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389222165&sr=8-1&keywords=i5-4670k
and instead using the money to up the 760 to a 770, or going with AMD, and get an R9 280X for not much more.

Exactly what I was thinking although he said that he needs it for "Web development...video rendering and using anything from the Adobe creative cloud suite and programming" To me this seems like he needs a fast CPU and he's playing games like Sims 3, which isn't that GPU intensive. Still that PC can pretty much play every game right now and has a decently quick CPU.
Reply 385
A cheaper motherboard won't have good power control for overclocking, and bad features overall. I've compiled a list and it's quite a bit over £700 but you're getting a better case, better CPU, better motherboard and better GPU. If you think it's too much I can switch some stuff out for something cheaper.

Spoiler

Thanks so much!! :smile: I owe you. This is awesome... My initial budget was £800 so this remains within that :smile: which is awesome. One thing I liked about the case of the computer I showed you is that it has an inbuilt lcd screen. Can that be achieved using the case you suggested?

With regards to ram would 16gb be much more expensive? It's just that photoshop can use about 4gb alone, complemented with an inability of myself to close tabs on my Web browser and have about 4 other adobe programs open at once I might get slowed down.

Also, is it hard to put a computer together? I've put ram in a computer before and moved the cables about for the hdd lol

Original post by edd1234
Depending on how much you (Jam') are going to use it for gaming and graphics vs other things, I'd consider switching the i7 for this i5:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Graphics-BX80646I74770-Generation-Technology/dp/B00CO8TBOW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389222165&sr=8-1&keywords=i5-4670k
and instead using the money to up the 760 to a 770, or going with AMD, and get an R9 280X for not much more.

Will I see an improvement on a game like sims 3 maxed out? I'm no good at the shooting games so won't be playing that kind of game which seems more gpu intensive.

Thanks guys!!
Original post by Jam'
Thanks so much!! :smile: I owe you. This is awesome... My initial budget was £800 so this remains within that :smile: which is awesome. One thing I liked about the case of the computer I showed you is that it has an inbuilt lcd screen. Can that be achieved using the case you suggested?

With regards to ram would 16gb be much more expensive? It's just that photoshop can use about 4gb alone, complemented with an inability of myself to close tabs on my Web browser and have about 4 other adobe programs open at once I might get slowed down.

Also, is it hard to put a computer together? I've put ram in a computer before and moved the cables about for the hdd lol

Will I see an improvement on a game like sims 3 maxed out? I'm no good at the shooting games so won't be playing that kind of game which seems more gpu intensive.

Thanks guys!!

RAM is pretty expensive right now and I'm not sure when the prices will stabilize.
Do you mean something like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-25-Front-Panel-All-in-One-Card-Reader-CPU-Fan-Speed-Control-Controller-LED-F2-/171162314614?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item27da11a776 If so it's easy as pie to install. And about PC building judging by what you're doing it should be no problem, just watch a Youtube tutorial and you should be fine. Sims 3 can easily be maxed out by that card.
Original post by Jam'
Hey :smile: do you mind helping out? You seem to know your computers :P

Bít late.........
Síms ís hardly gamíng íf thats what you're lookíng to do.

Get an í7, good deal at Amazon for ít www.amazon.co.uk/-/dp/B00CV3E3XE?tag=invihand-21
Íf you are doíng a lot of vídeo renderíng, seríous stuff then 16gb ram and a reasonable gpu.
Reply 388
Original post by Dizlo999
RAM is pretty expensive right now and I'm not sure when the prices will stabilize.
Do you mean something like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-25-Front-Panel-All-in-One-Card-Reader-CPU-Fan-Speed-Control-Controller-LED-F2-/171162314614?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item27da11a776 If so it's easy as pie to install. And about PC building judging by what you're doing it should be no problem, just watch a Youtube tutorial and you should be fine. Sims 3 can easily be maxed out by that card.

Yes something like that! Though I thought you could use them as media controllers not just fan control aha so it's no longer important.

I watched a YouTube video just now and now all I'm worried about is frying stuff haha but I bought one of those wristband things :tongue:

Original post by Iqbal007
Bít late.........
Síms ís hardly gamíng íf thats what you're lookíng to do.

Get an í7, good deal at Amazon for ít www.amazon.co.uk/-/dp/B00CV3E3XE?tag=invihand-21
Íf you are doíng a lot of vídeo renderíng, seríous stuff then 16gb ram and a reasonable gpu.

Haha :colondollar: but I've played sims on a computer with integrated graphics and boy was that painful haha! Sims is gaming to me haha :colondollar:

I went for 16gb of the same memory type Dilzo999 suggested. But i also chose a 600w psu as some sites suggested for the 770 (which I opted for as per edd's suggestion) 500w wouldn't be enough - same modular model though :biggrin: - apparently you can go really wrong with the psu so no gambles there :tongue:.

And i got a 120gb ssd to complement the 1tb hdd for faster booting and lower "latency" :tongue: and stuff.

Is it necessary for me to get something like this:

Gigabyte GC-WB300D | 300MBit W-LAN+ Bluetooth 4.0 Modul PCIe, Bluetooth 4.0 | WiFi Expansion Card | GC-WIFI by Gigabyte http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008FLV6BI/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_0Yd0sb0A1A7TE

My keyboard works over bluetooth.

I feel I've learnt so much :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Bought a new PC for £650, specs in signature, minus the headphones, mouse and mat. Looking for your opinion Iqbal :colone:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Bought a new PC for £650, specs in signature, minus the headphones, mouse and mat. Looking for your opinion Iqbal :colone:

Case looks great, though Í would've opted for the Corsaír 300R whích ís technícally better and cheaper.
You could have used the savíngs and pícked up a GTX770 for around £230.l
Also pretty much tell anyone get a Asus mobo cos theír awesome especíally the províded utílítíes.
Case looks great, though Í would've opted for the Corsaír 300R whích ís technícally better and cheaper.
You could have used the savíngs and pícked up a GTX770 for around £230.l
Also pretty much tell anyone get a Asus mobo cos theír awesome especíally the províded utílítíes.

I bought it all together, guy who built it 6 months ago sold it to me. I was thinking about replacing the H50 with noctua nh-d14 x2 fans. Assuming it costs like another £40 at most, what do you think?
I bought it all together, guy who built it 6 months ago sold it to me. I was thinking about replacing the H50 with noctua nh-d14 x2 fans. Assuming it costs like another £40 at most, what do you think?

ahhh.........íf the h50 ís workíng fíne, Í don't see whats the poínt to be honest.......at most get extra fans to íncrease aírflow of the case.
ahhh.........íf the h50 ís workíng fíne, Í don't see whats the poínt to be honest.......at most get extra fans to íncrease aírflow of the case.

Okay, what are the best fans around? I'm a bit paranoid my CPU will one day burst into flames because it's so heavily overclocked, though it's running at a stable temp :colondollar: Should also mention the GPU is overclocked too
(edited 10 years ago)

Wow, I spent about £1100 for a similar specced PC self built, although it was around a year ago :biggrin:.
Wow, I spent about £1100 for a similar specced PC self built, although it was around a year ago :biggrin:.

Oh, cool :biggrin: What's your build? Also, how is Jojo coming along? :colone:
Oh, cool :biggrin: What's your build? Also, how is Jojo coming along? :colone:

Unfortunately, I haven't started it. Have been revising for exams the whole of the holiday and have just finished yesterday so I should be starting soon :biggrin: I did finish Hataraku maou sama and I loved it :biggrin:. My build is: CM Storm Trooper case, i5 3570k, Asus P8Z77 V, Gigabyte GTX 670, 128gb Intel SSD, 2TB WD HDD and some random optical disk drive :biggrin:.
Unfortunately, I haven't started it. Have been revising for exams the whole of the holiday and have just finished yesterday so I should be starting soon :biggrin: I did finish Hataraku maou sama and I loved it :biggrin:. My build is: CM Storm Trooper case, i5 3570k, Asus P8Z77 V, Gigabyte GTX 670, 128gb Intel SSD, 2TB WD HDD and some random optical disk drive :biggrin:.

Ah, awesome :biggrin: That was £1100? The guy gave me a really good monitor and keyboard too in the package, the two alone have a value of £400 :eek:

Haha yes, Hataraku was awesome, but Jojo is the greatest :biggrin:
Ah, awesome :biggrin: That was £1100? The guy gave me a really good monitor and keyboard too in the package, the two alone have a value of £400 :eek:

Haha yes, Hataraku was awesome, but Jojo is the greatest :biggrin:

I had some extra mouse, headset, monitor as well but yeah, I spent around £330 on my graphics card at the time as it had just came out.
Hi, I'm don't know whether a MacBook Air or pro would be better suited for university. I know that there's still a long way away before September but I can't stop thinking about it :L

Many have said MacBook Pro is better for people who do design and tech, but I really would like to have a bigger screen?
But when I consider the portability of both laptops, the air out wins the pro a long way as I would not like to have 2kg plus a load of other books on my shoulder all the time.

Air don't have a CD player but I think I can cope with that.

I'm really stuck between the two.

Before i think about the price, can someone suggest which one may be more suitable for me in uni?
I'll be studying chemistry if that helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending