The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by killa78
Of course I did :tongue: got it for a bit less alhamdulilah.

The thing is, I have no proof of purchase for any of the parts? Will warranty transfer/still be valid? Especially since it's sort of second hand in a sense?

Yeah, I was about to drop 800 on my own build but saw this and snapped it up.

I guess that makes me part of the PC master race :colone:

So any tips for stress tests during the first 14 days? Jzk

Hmmmm not sure......just go to each component manufacturers website and try to register the component via the serial numbers and check.

No idea, guess your standard benchmark software to test everything and push them to the limit.
Original post by Iqbal007
Hmmmm not sure......just go to each component manufacturers website and try to register the component via the serial numbers and check.

No idea, guess your standard benchmark software to test everything and push them to the limit.

I'll have to have a check!

I'll look into it, thanks.
Original post by killa78
Of course I did :tongue: got it for a bit less alhamdulilah.

The thing is, I have no proof of purchase for any of the parts? Will warranty transfer/still be valid? Especially since it's sort of second hand in a sense?

Yeah, I was about to drop 800 on my own build but saw this and snapped it up.

I guess that makes me part of the PC master race :colone:

So any tips for stress tests during the first 14 days? Jzk

Nah m8 that GTX x70 lets you down. :wink:
I am looking at building a computer. Maybe about £600 quid for light gaming but to use for browsing internet and so on. My main aim is to use the computer over the LAN network for remote desktop from my laptop/tablet and then to be able to remote desktop to it whilst im away from home.

Would having i5/i7 cpu and other top rated components help my remote desktop at all?

Thanks!
Original post by Stringer987
I am looking at building a computer. Maybe about £600 quid for light gaming but to use for browsing internet and so on. My main aim is to use the computer over the LAN network for remote desktop from my laptop/tablet and then to be able to remote desktop to it whilst im away from home.

Would having i5/i7 cpu and other top rated components help my remote desktop at all?

Thanks!

I don't think i7 over i5 is necessary, i5 over i3 is desirable though. I might be mistaken, but for the most part I think you just want to build it as if you were going to use it normally.
Original post by Jammy Duel
I don't think i7 over i5 is necessary, i5 over i3 is desirable though. I might be mistaken, but for the most part I think you just want to build it as if you were going to use it normally.

I havnt done remote desktop in awhile but i would be gutted if i went to this effort/money and found it was laggy still.

I just wanted a new laptop but you dont get the value for money like you do when building a computer. I can live with the devices i have and thought it would be good to remote desktop to the PC when i need too.
Original post by Stringer987

Thanks!

Your internet connection at both ends will probably be the key (power line adapters and/or ethernet cable will beat out wifi massively)

Apart from that, what sort of applications are you looking at? Any rendering or other cpu intensive stuff? Also, do plan to overclock?
I'm finally looking to make my own PC and I've been having a general look around, are overclockers reliable? I've been playing with a load of builds
Original post by robo donkey
I'm finally looking to make my own PC and I've been having a general look around, are overclockers reliable? I've been playing with a load of builds

Yep........though they offer a huge range, they are quite expensive.
Slight update, I've just put the entire build through ukpartpicker and it's a fair bit cheaper, so I'll do it that way and just build it myself for cheaper, should be a good project next month.
Original post by robo donkey
Slight update, I've just put the entire build through ukpartpicker and it's a fair bit cheaper, so I'll do it that way and just build it myself for cheaper, should be a good project next month.

Dont use partpicker........its dodgy, usually out of date and doesn't check all the products
Looks fine to me, I'm of course open to suggestions too
Reply 793

You might consider not getting water cooled, it's really not needed. Just make sure you have enough case fans and a reasonable cpu cooler.
Original post by karvw
You might consider not getting water cooled, it's really not needed. Just make sure you have enough case fans and a reasonable cpu cooler.

+1

Watercooled CPU (especially the H100), is totally OP for a non overclockable CPU.
Original post by karvw

I had thought that to be honest... Yeah i'll make sure I get a few case fans!

What do u think of that build in general? I don't want a over the top ultra great computer, just want something that I can play most games on high settings for the next 2 years... ish!

Original post by mikeyd85
+1

Watercooled CPU (especially the H100), is totally OP for a non overclockable CPU.

Thanks for the reply

What does OP mean? I'm a noob when it comes to pcs ;p haha
Original post by Jack182
Thanks for the reply

What does OP mean? I'm a noob when it comes to pcs ;p haha

You're welcome.

Over-powered. Most often used to describe unbalanced items in video games.

For instance; the BAL in Advanced Warfare is considered OP, though this may get nerfed (have it's power reduced) in a patch.
Original post by mikeyd85
You're welcome.

Over-powered. Most often used to describe unbalanced items in video games.

For instance; the BAL in Advanced Warfare is considered OP, though this may get nerfed (have it's power reduced) in a patch.

Ahhhh yeah :tongue: I didn't know if you meant the thing same when it comes to parts haha. I'll give that a miss then, save me some money :smile:

you think that's a decent system though apart fromthat? :smile:
Reply 799
The build is very similar to mine so I approve :P Your choice of motherboard is the only confusing thing: you have a small business chipset (the part that says B85) I would get a H87 chipset, that's the most used one and I would think best for your purposes. I recommence a gigabyte motherboard, I built multiple PCs with them and am thoroughly pleased.

Latest

Trending

Trending