The Student Room Group

Will Universities make exceptions?

Hi ,

Just wondered if anyone could help with this?

Due to long term illness I have only been able to study two a levels at school,
for most of the courses I want to do universities want three. I just wondered if anyone knew if universities would make exceptions in special circumstances? Or would I have to do an extra year to complete a third alevel? I'm on track to get two A's in the subjects I'm doing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

L x
Reply 1
I would recommend emailing or ringing some of the universities, explaining the situation, and asking what they think. Best would be to ask a number of different ones as some might have different policies. I know universities do take into account exceptional circumstances but how far that would stretch I don't know.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
It's completely up to the individual university. I've taken less qualifications than I should have done as well, for various reasons. Last year, when I was looking to apply, I contacted lots of different universities and simply explained my circumstances. Some had more of a problem with it than others, but most had no problem at all and were very helpful and understanding. Basically most of them said that as long as I could prove my ability in the subject (in this case for studying languages) and that I could cope with the course (with support of course), they had no problem considering me with an unusual set of qualifications. It helped me narrow down which ones to apply to actually, because I just went with the ones that were most reasonable about it.

I remember one admissions tutor I talked to said that there are basic university wide conditions that have to be met (I think Cs at GCSE maths and English language if I remember), but after that it's completely up to the department if they want to consider you. It might be slightly different universities, but you get the idea that it's possible and you just need to check which each university.

One last thing I would mention. My course is not very competitive and I have a feeling that might have helped me out a lot. If you're looking to apply for a more competitive course, then you might have more problems.

Sorry that was quite long, but I hope it helped. Just make sure you talk to the universities about your situation before you apply and good luck! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi I got 64 points first year got a merit the second year a distinction star but apparently it's and over all grade which will be a merit at 64 points I have applied for the foundation course for sports science The tutor said he will back me saying I am more than capable to do the course I had a difficult year last year due to corvid impacting on my mental health and my brother diagnosed with a brain tumor that's why my first year was only a merit Do u think they will make exceptions as and allow me to do the foundation course

Quick Reply

Latest