The Student Room Group

What advice would you give a first year student starting uni?

Poll

Year 13s: which part of starting uni makes you the most nervous?

If you're planning on starting uni in September, what's on your mind the most?

Are you thinking about what uni accommodation will be like, or meeting new people? Maybe you're mulling over money, enjoying your course or even just your wellbeing?

And if you're already at uni, what advice would you give to a new first year before they arrive on campus?

Our sister site The Uni Guide also has heaps of help on preparing for university.
Original post by Vic Vinegar

Are you thinking about what uni accommodation will be like, or meeting new people? Maybe you're mulling over money, enjoying your course or even just your wellbeing?

And if you're already at uni, what advice would you give to a new first year before they arrive on campus?

Our sister site The Uni Guide also has heaps of help on preparing for university.

Most: making friends, depending on myself, adapting to a new life.

The problem with self-catered accomodation is the increased need to cook, which can take a lot of time, especially if you have multiple societies to go to, or you're not a very exceptional student.

I promised myself I would be exceptional in a decent uni back then, I better live up with it.
I feel like I'm gonna be the stupid one in my course :colondollar:

Don't just befriend your flat and then stop trying to make new friends or meet new people. My favourite thing about university is when you meet someone randomly and get along and then hang out with their group and meet new people you get along with, etc. :smile:

Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 4
Tip for making friends :

At the end of a class or lecture - look around and say loudly, 'anyone fancy a coffee?'.

Because otherwise everyone just disappears in different directions - and they were all hoping someone would say this.

Advice for a new first year before they arrive on campus:
Try to find if there are any freshers group chats on Facebook/WhatsApp for either people on your course or in your accommodation. This can be a really great way to make friends before getting to university, and can make moving in less overwhelming, as you have people moving in at the same time as you that you already know!

~ Cathryn (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 6
Original post by GeT_iN_SHinJI
I feel like I'm gonna be the stupid one in my course :colondollar:

as someone finishing first year, I know exactly what you mean and don't worry because so many people will feel the same way on your course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending