The Student Room Group

Grad. School application

Hey friends!
I was wondering, if anyone could kind of mentor me and walk me through the application process for grad. Programs? Being an international student makes the process even more overwhelming so I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks!
Original post by Lanatur
Hey friends!
I was wondering, if anyone could kind of mentor me and walk me through the application process for grad. Programs? Being an international student makes the process even more overwhelming so I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks!

The process is usually straightforward.

As far as I know, unis are not using UCAS as a central application platform for grad programs, so you would have to apply directly to each degree.

Steps:

Go to the specific degree course page of the course at the instittuion that you would like to study at

Near the bottom of the page where it specifies what to do next or apply, click on the next page

Create your account for your application and fill in the forms accordingly

You woud be asked for copies of certain documents, such as the transcript of your undergrad (showing a full break down of the grades and modules), certificate of your admission tests (where applicable)

As you're an international student, you would likely be asked for provide a copy of your certificate for your English proficiency (possible exceptions would be if you are from/studied at an English speaking university, but sometimes the universities don't make these exceptions) e.g. IELTS, TOEFL, Pearson,

Make sure you provide a really good personal statement; the preferences of the universities in the UK is for you to demonstrate your passion for the subject as opposed to being a well rounded candidate i.e. more about what you done to further your interest in the subject over being the captain of a football team and starting several multimillion dollar businesses.

Depending on your course, you might also be asked to submit a CV, but this is very rare.

You would likely be asked to provide 2 academic references - make sure you get these from the lecturers from your previous uni

Submit your application and wait for a response.

Some of the application processes can be offline as well as online, so you would need to see what the specific application processes are..
I would also check that you have the appropriate funding for the degree you want to do. Universities are very picky about this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending