The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Grade Flexibility

I have applied at Kent to do Law with a foundation year and got an offer of CCC. I take history,politics and Law and while im confident ill reach a C in both history and politics im worried about not getting a C in law, if i miss a C in law would anyone know the chances i'd still be accepted?
thanks
Original post by Anonymous
I have applied at Kent to do Law with a foundation year and got an offer of CCC. I take history,politics and Law and while im confident ill reach a C in both history and politics im worried about not getting a C in law, if i miss a C in law would anyone know the chances i'd still be accepted?
thanks

That entirely depends on how many of their offer-holders meet the grades specified in their offer. If enough do that they can full their course, then you'll be out of luck.

Whilst history is not always an accurate predictor of the future, the fact that The Uni Guide reports that those currently studying Law with a Foundation Year at University of Kent typically have BBB grades does not bode well for "near miss" candidates (source).
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
That entirely depends on how many of their offer-holders meet the grades specified in their offer. If enough do that they can full their course, then you'll be out of luck.

Whilst history is not always an accurate predictor of the future, the fact that The Uni Guide reports that those currently studying Law with a Foundation Year at University of Kent typically have BBB grades does not bode well for "near miss" candidates (source).

Ah right that makes more sense i was wondering how this process worked

Kent have a policy which I got in one of their letters called a "Kent guarantee" and they used an example of if you miss your offer by a grade they'll still guarantee you a place but i was wondering how much i can rely upon that and how strong that is if that makes sense
Ah right that makes more sense i was wondering how this process worked

Kent have a policy which I got in one of their letters called a "Kent guarantee" and they used an example of if you miss your offer by a grade they'll still guarantee you a place but i was wondering how much i can rely upon that and how strong that is if that makes sense

I know some universities have a policy like that. For example a conditional offer from University of Sussex might ask you "to obtain grades ABB at A-Level in 3 subjects. Alternatively, if you decide to make Sussex your Firm choice, we guarantee to accept you if you achieve BBB at A-level in 3 subjects". A statement such as this can be relied upon and is part of the contract which you have with the university.

I haven't seen the wording which Kent use, so can't really comment of whether they've left any wiggle room with words like "might" or "should". Oddly, I can find no mention of this scheme on the Kent web site. You say the policy was in one of their letters. Does that means it's not actually within the wording of the formal offer itself? Are you able up upload the letter (with any personal information removed, obviously) so we can see exactly what the policy is, and determine to what extent it can be relied upon?
Reply 4
I know some universities have a policy like that. For example a conditional offer from University of Sussex might ask you "to obtain grades ABB at A-Level in 3 subjects. Alternatively, if you decide to make Sussex your Firm choice, we guarantee to accept you if you achieve BBB at A-level in 3 subjects". A statement such as this can be relied upon and is part of the contract which you have with the university.

I haven't seen the wording which Kent use, so can't really comment of whether they've left any wiggle room with words like "might" or "should". Oddly, I can find no mention of this scheme on the Kent web site. You say the policy was in one of their letters. Does that means it's not actually within the wording of the formal offer itself? Are you able up upload the letter (with any personal information removed, obviously) so we can see exactly what the policy is, and determine to what extent it can be relied upon?

Yeah neither I havent really seen it anywhere either and where i found it was the letter from the Kent portal website and im not sure why i cant attach the document itself but ive copied and pasted what it said:

"Choose Kent as your firm choice on UCAS and, if you narrowly miss your offer, we still guarantee you a place (for example , if you achieve one grade lower)*

*exceptions apply. Please note we are unable to offer the Kent guarantee to those who have already been given a reduced or contextual offer. "

I tried looking anywhere for any other mention of this but this is what was said on the letter
Yeah neither I havent really seen it anywhere either and where i found it was the letter from the Kent portal website and im not sure why i cant attach the document itself but ive copied and pasted what it said:

"Choose Kent as your firm choice on UCAS and, if you narrowly miss your offer, we still guarantee you a place (for example , if you achieve one grade lower)*

*exceptions apply. Please note we are unable to offer the Kent guarantee to those who have already been given a reduced or contextual offer. "

I tried looking anywhere for any other mention of this but this is what was said on the letter

I don't like the "exceptions apply" footnote, given that they don't make it clear whether or not the only exceptions are with respect to reduced or contextual offers.

Also, the phrase "narrowly miss" is too vague for my liking, given that they've only clarified it with an example of what might qualify.

I would not treat this as a guarantee of a place is you miss your offer by one grade. In all likelihood your place would be confirmed, but this text does not guarantee that fact.
Reply 6
I don't like the "exceptions apply" footnote, given that they don't make it clear whether or not the only exceptions are with respect to reduced or contextual offers.

Also, the phrase "narrowly miss" is too vague for my liking, given that they've only clarified it with an example of what might qualify.

I would not treat this as a guarantee of a place is you miss your offer by one grade. In all likelihood your place would be confirmed, but this text does not guarantee that fact.

Agreed. It doesn't guarantee it.
(Original post by Anonymous)I have applied at Kent to do Law with a foundation year and got an offer of CCC. I take history,politics and Law and while im confident ill reach a C in both history and politics im worried about not getting a C in law, if i miss a C in law would anyone know the chances i'd still be accepted?
thanks

Hi there congratulations on getting your offer. If you are still unsure about your grades and you have some inquiries about admission, you can speask directly with the admissions team or contact the Law School for more clarification. You can reach the department by phone T: +44 (0)1227 768896, or by email: [email protected]. You can find contacts to the Law division and other useful departments here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/contact-us
Staff members will be able to give you more accurate answers and hopefully clear any doubts you may have.

Best of luck!

Tracy
UKC Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending