The Student Room Group

extra AS level???????

can i do an as level during the summer and take the exam in october/november time? will it be valid and will it look good or do universities not care about it?
Original post by aira.a
can i do an as level during the summer and take the exam in october/november time? will it be valid and will it look good or do universities not care about it?

Most universities pay no attention to AS levels, simply because not all students have the opportunity to take them (e.g. schools in England, where it no longer contributes to an A level grade). However, you will find some universities might pay attention for some courses. Do you have any particularly unis / courses in mind?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Most universities pay no attention to AS levels, simply because not all students have the opportunity to take them (e.g. schools in England, where it no longer contributes to an A level grade). However, you will find some universities might pay attention for some courses. Do you have any particularly unis / courses in mind?

i was thinking of smth in business but I've only taken sciences A levels, so i was thinking of doing a business AS over the summer maybe
Original post by aira.a
i was thinking of smth in business but I've only taken sciences A levels, so i was thinking of doing a business AS over the summer maybe

Any unis in mind? The reason I ask is that, as I said above, "Most universities pay no attention ... some universities might pay attention", so knowing the uni is important.

For example:
Queen Mary University of London say, "We do not take into consideration AS grades when making a decision on your application. The only exception to this is if you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry and started your A-levels before September 2015." (source)
University of Manchester say, "AS-level results are not considered as part of the standard admissions process at the University. The exception to this is Medicine and Dentistry courses, where the School of Medical Science requires evidence of a broad programme of study. "

In contrast:
University of Sussex say, "We do however review each application on its individual strengths and merits and will take into account the full array of qualifications being presented (including additional AS-levels or the Extended Project Qualification)." (source)
University of Leeds say, "If you have AS-level results, we will consider them when making a decision. However, if you have not done AS-levels then this will not be a disadvantage." (source)

If you're worried about your A levels being too science-focused, then check the entry requirements for the Business degree at a variety of different unis. If any mandate a subject you don't have, then simply don't apply there. Similarly, if you do opt to take the AS level, then it would make sense to apply to unis which actually pay attention to that.

Quick Reply

Latest