The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why has Britain become such a depressing place to live?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by uktotalgamer
Because it creates an overall depressing atmosphere. Like the poster said above; "Those bloody immigrants taking our jobs" when it isn't like that at all. We then bleet on for half a year about immigration and how it's terrible which then allows far right wing parties like UKIP to emerge. Hate breeds hate. I'm right wing, but I'm not stupid enough to buy into UKIP.

The majority of people are not on on benefits and so work, If its is only the 'lower working class' that is depressing than society as a whole should not be as 'lower working class' is not the majority. To judge people on the basis of there social class is stupid, I take it you are quite young considering you are on a student forum, when you are standing on you're own two feet and not living off you're parents social class, you will learn and maybe not be so ignorant.
I don't find Britain a depressing place at all I think its a great place to live.

Original post by paddyman4
Yeah guys, you're all forgetting: if you're problem is not the single biggest problem in the world, you're not allowed to address it.

*******s, OP made a very sensationalised statement that the uk has become a depressing place to live. Which is wrong because it evokes A) that if the UK is depressing, it was some how better in the past than it is now and B) the UK is depressing........... well depressing relative to what exactly, paradise? If you consider the UK 'depressing' your concept of a country that isn't depressing is far beyond the capabilities of any country.

So yes we do have problems that should be addressed, but sensationalising the situation does not do anything other than give you a false sense of oppression. Hence my sarcastic comment.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by OedipusTheKing
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.CD

GDP Per Capita (US $)

UK: 38,974
Germany: 44,021
France: 42,379

As of 2011.

Can't get through to link, but GDP is not the type of measure I'd use for quality of life. I'm on my phone right now but you can find studies via google which take into account factors like education, health, crime etc. to rank countries on quality of living.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zero Nowhere
*******s, op made a very sensationalised statement that the uk has become a depressing place to live. Which is wrong on because it evokes A) that if the UK is depressing, it was some how better in the past than it is now and B) the UK is depressing........... depressing relative to what exactly, paradise? If you consider the UK 'depressing' your concept of a country that isn't depressing is far beyond the capabilities of any country.

So yes we do have problems that should be addressed, but sensationalising the situation does not do anything other than give you a false sense of oppression. Hence my sarcastic comment.

No, other western nations :colonhash:
Original post by Sheldor
Can't get through to link, but GDP is not the type of measure I'd use for quality of life. I'm on my phone right now but you can find studies via google which take into account factors like education, health, crime etc. to rank countries on quality of living.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then perhaps you'd like to have a look at the UK's human development index (HDI)?

http://hdr.undp.org/en/data/profiles/

The UK is 26th, France is 20th, and Germany is 5th.
Reply 46
Our society is deeply fractured and public morality is in crisis. The weather could, of course, be better as sunny days always raises the mood. Money has become too important and everyone is trying to get one over someone else. Many people I have known over the years no longer live in the UK. One of my brothers has gone living in Gran Canaria, and my other brother and hhis wife are thinking of moving to America. My next door neighbour has gone to live in the south of France somewhere, and my mum never stops saying that one day she will up-sticks and go live in Australia. Common to all these people is that they are fed up with the country, it is the dull weather, the high cost of living and the politicians, they say.
The news ALWAYS focuses on the negativity in our society... could this play a part?
Original post by mattmejevie
The news ALWAYS focuses on the negativity in our society... could this play a part?

Not when the statistics themselves prove the point. Please see the other posts made by me in this thread.
No, other western nations :colonhash:

Other western nations? That's a bit vague, what's so much better about other western nations? Do you really think the quality of life is significantly better in norway? They have a relatively smaller gap between rich and poor, but lets not kid ourselves on here and claim the UK is up ****s creeks and everyone in scandanavia is walking around with a smile on their face 24/7.

Your analogy is like a middle class family in a middle class estate declaring hardship because they could only afford to take the family to monaco for 10 days, while their neighbours went for a full 2 weeks.
(edited 10 years ago)
One of the things I always end up talking about when I'm at work with some of our regular customers and indeed the topic of many a drinking session is this country.

We can chat for ages, in the pub for hours about how bad Britain is, the fact our political system is rotten to the core, the fact were going to come out of Uni and struggle to get a job, the fact alcohol is expensive, the fact watching football abroad is cheaper, a better experience. Britain on the face of it is a depressing place with numerous T.V shows about the police, the crime on our streets, the depressing news that never seems to get better.

Yet, for as much you can be cynical, would I swap the U.K for anywhere else? No. I've been abroad, to Germany, Spain, Denmark, Gambia and loved every bit of those trips away but if I'm honest, as bad as the U.K may seem it, its actually pretty great. I'd love to travel abroad more, Slovenia is next on my list to see as an example. We've one of the best public transport networks in the world, beautiful countryside, many wonderful cities, a great road network, just a few reasons why I love the U.K and for me personally, the football. I watch football at the top level, level 1 - the Premier League and watch stuff on park pitches, there's always a football ground to tick, always a match to see. :smile:
Other western nations? That's a bit vague, what's so much better about other western nations? Do you really think the quality of life is significantly better in norway? They have a relatively smaller gap between rich and poor, but lets not kid ourselves on here and claim the UK is up ****s creeks and everyone in scandanavia is walking around with a smile on their face 24/7.

Your analogy is like a middle class family in a middle class estate declaring hardship because they could only afford the family to monaco for 10 days, while their neighbours went for a full 2 weeks.

Yes, yes I do.

Norway's GDP per capita? $98,080 as of 2011.
UK's GDP per capita? $38,974 as of 2011.

So please, tell me more.
*******s, OP made a very sensationalised statement that the uk has become a depressing place to live. Which is wrong because it evokes A) that if the UK is depressing, it was some how better in the past than it is now and B) the UK is depressing........... well depressing relative to what exactly, paradise? If you consider the UK 'depressing' your concept of a country that isn't depressing is far beyond the capabilities of any country.

That has nothing to do with my problem with your post. I don't agree with the OP (I think he's just got older) but it annoys me when people try to make people feel guilty about complaining about anything unless they're being raped to death in a desert somewhere. I'm just sick of this #firstworldproblems trend,
Reply 53
Original post by The Socktor
Does anybody here actually know their neighbours?

I think there's a problem there.

Community break-down seems to be a biiiig problem. I'm not sure what's causing it or how to reverse it though :s-smilie:
Yes, yes I do.

Norway's GDP per capita? $98,080 as of 2011.
UK's GDP per capita? $38,974 as of 2011.

So please, tell me more.

Yes and there is also only 5 million people in norway, there are 65 million in the UK. Given the relative size difference there is going to be a short fall in GDP given population size e.g. London has a population of 8 million with a GDP of $89,463. Hence you could arguably conclude that if norway had 65 million people their gdp would be in line with ours.Also GDP doesn't automatically mean a signifcantly higher quality of life.

As it happens, Norway does have a better quality of life, but you and other people are trying to sensationalise the difference. In reality life isn't significantly better in norway than it is here as OP and seemingly you would have people believe and making comments like "the UK has become depressing" when the quality of life in this country is at the highest it has ever been does not, as I've stated, do anything other than put a false sense of oppression on the situation.
People on here blaming the 'Lower working class' as a member of the lower working class I can assure living on benefits is not mine or my families picture perfect life! If you have a disabled family member, you will know that working whilst looking after them is practically impossible. And you're on a student forum so you must realise how hard it is to get part time work to help finance your studies, I'm sorry if my general life is an inconvenience to you but maybe if our government realised that people aren't in this position on purpose and did something to aid it we wouldn't be in this mess!
Yes and there is also only 5 million people in norway, there are 65 million in the UK. 1) Given the relative size difference there is going to be a short fall in GDP given population size e.g. London has a population of 8 million with a GDP of $89,463. 2) Hence you could arguably conclude that if norway had 65 million people their gdp would be in line with ours.Also GDP doesn't automatically mean a signifcantly higher quality of life. 3)

As it happens, Norway does have a better quality of life, but you and other people are trying to sensationalise the difference. 4) In reality life isn't significantly better in norway than it is here as OP and seemingly you would have people believe and making comments like "the UK has become depressing" when the quality of life in this country is at the highest it has ever been does not, as I've stated, do anything other than put a false sense of oppression on the situation.

1) Then the UK should significantly increase it's economic output to match the population, or alternatively, never have let the population rise to this degree in the first place. We have half the land space of France.
2) Well that's all very well and good, but the rest of the population does not live in London. They live in bankrupt towns like my home Bolton.
3) No, but it is a fairly good indicator. The more money someone has, the better the diet, the better the health care and so on.
4) No, the difference is real and perceivable.

And it's all very well pointing out the population difference, but France has the same population and a higher GDP per capita. Germany actually has a larger population, by about 20 million, and has an even higher GDP per capita.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by paddyman4
That has nothing to do with my problem with your post. I don't agree with the OP (I think he's just got older) but it annoys me when people try to make people feel guilty about complaining about anything unless they're being raped to death in a desert somewhere. I'm just sick of this #firstworldproblems trend,

And I'm sick of people trying to put on the shackles of oppression and make people feel sorry for them. Yes people are allowed to complain, but equally I'm allowed to call fallacy when people sensationalise their situation. It seems far too many people these days feel the need to declare hardship at any given opportunity, despite the situation never being so good, that's even with a recession. I wish people would just stop milking it. For the vast majority of people in this country nothing of any great significance will happen to them. They wont be caught up in a gangland shooting, they wont be gang raped, an immigrant wont steal their job, the EU wont take away their right to eat cheese on a friday, a terrorist wont blow up their ford focus. Nothing of any great significance will happen to them, so they should stop milking it and get on with life.
And I'm sick of people trying to put on the shackles of oppression and make people feel sorry for them. Yes people are allowed to complain, but equally I'm allowed to call fallacy when people sensationalise their situation. It seems far too many people these days feel the need to declare hardship at any given opportunity, despite the situation never being so good, that's even with a recession. I wish people would just stop milking it. For the vast majority of people in this country nothing of any great significance will happen to them. They wont be caught up in a gangland shooting, they wont be gang raped, an immigrant wont steal their job, the EU wont take away their right to eat cheese on a friday, a terrorist wont blow up their ford focus. Nothing of any great significance will happen to them, so they should stop milking it and get on with life.

We're not asking for people in others countries to feel sorry for us. We are asking for our own government to put on a better show, and when it is contrasted with other western nations it is easy to see why. I don't care what the Syrians think of our situation, I care about having the best for our country and protecting national interests.
Original post by Riku
Everywhere around me people just look fed up, no hope in sight. It's grim.
I know a lot of it will be down to the stress of recession but I think there's been a general collapse of purpose too. It wasn't always this way when I was growing up; stressful, of course, and I wouldn't have noticed a lot of it still being young and naive, but I think in the last five years or so the entire mentality of my area has dramatically changed in a bad way.
I won't blame it on atheism because religion's not squeaky clean and you can have morals without having faith but I do think there's some sort of ethical abyss emerging in our society.
What do you all think?

I've got a completely opposite opinion. I'm a real chauvinist but it's not zealous to say that Britain is on the rise again. Nothing could eclipse the patriotism, pride and tradition we saw last year with the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and the Olympics.
It's not a cliche either to say that you should feel proud of your Britishness, I don't think there's anywhere else in the World which has such a strong sense of belonging and unique culture as we do here. This is one of the best countries in the World and we have the best city in the World as our capital.

The UK still leads the World in politics, social affairs, economics and creative industries. The only thing to really complain about is the weather and even that's not all bad if you live in the South. The World seems to be obsessed with this whole American identity phenomenon, but let's face it: America just glamourises everything that the British do so well at giving to and defining for the World.
British people just love to be cynical and melancholic, when actually we're an idyllic destination for so many people from less privileged countries around the World. I know a lot of people have already mentioned the whole "grass is greener" thing on this thread and they're right: you go anywhere (except maybe France) and people will be fascinated by the fact you're from the UK.

Latest

Trending

Trending