The Student Room Group

Worried I'm not interested in university anymore academics isn't for me?

I don't know what to do I feel like I keep failing all the time.
So all through school I achieved average grades even in my final year even when I worked very hard. My results weren't the best and I failed maths . I repeated these exams the next year I passed but still I didn't achieve what I was capable of even with the hard work I put in and I passed maths. Made it on to a IT / Business course. I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do but it seemed like a good course. I passed first semester the second semester I had two modules which were maths based . I failed both I need to repeat them I can't bring myself to repeat I'm sick of failing. And next semester there is programming and engineering which I could possibly fail. I just don't know what to do I just keep failing. There is no other course I would do in university either. I used to think this was the course for me. I only did it because everyone kept telling me this is what I should do and I had no idea what else I wanted to do. I felt it all through school and family you are expected to go to university in order to succeed in life. I don't feel I'm academic minded .

I have realised I've always loved swimming ever since I was young and learnt by watching someone and got many lessons always enjoyed it. My family always said I was a strong swimmer even though I think I'm not fast. I never did competitive swimming as I didn't have the money and had a slight fear of deep water but I've changed. Now I'm thinking maybe I could take up masters competitive swimming and become a swim assistant coach before becoming a instructor ans life saving course as well. So I would be qualified for both a life guard and a swimming instructor Otherwise I'm completely stuck I'm just worried I'll hate it as i am slightly a quiet person but I can be confident at times.
Original post by Mysteriouschic
I don't know what to do I feel like I keep failing all the time.
So all through school I achieved average grades even in my final year even when I worked very hard. My results weren't the best and I failed maths . I repeated these exams the next year I passed but still I didn't achieve what I was capable of even with the hard work I put in and I passed maths. Made it on to a IT / Business course. I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do but it seemed like a good course. I passed first semester the second semester I had two modules which were maths based . I failed both I need to repeat them I can't bring myself to repeat I'm sick of failing. And next semester there is programming and engineering which I could possibly fail. I just don't know what to do I just keep failing. There is no other course I would do in university either. I used to think this was the course for me. I only did it because everyone kept telling me this is what I should do and I had no idea what else I wanted to do. I felt it all through school and family you are expected to go to university in order to succeed in life. I don't feel I'm academic minded .

I have realised I've always loved swimming ever since I was young and learnt by watching someone and got many lessons always enjoyed it. My family always said I was a strong swimmer even though I think I'm not fast. I never did competitive swimming as I didn't have the money and had a slight fear of deep water but I've changed. Now I'm thinking maybe I could take up masters competitive swimming and become a swim assistant coach before becoming a instructor ans life saving course as well. So I would be qualified for both a life guard and a swimming instructor Otherwise I'm completely stuck I'm just worried I'll hate it as i am slightly a quiet person but I can be confident at times.

There's no point staying at Uni if you truly hate it, it's just a waste of time and money.

Always do what you like doing. Youve obviously got a knack for swimming so I would definitely take that route. Maybe you could begin by training for a lifeguard and then becoming one at your local pool? They're really well paid.

That might then open more doors about competitive swimming and the opportunities available to you.

Good luck :smile:
Go and talk to your Personal Tutor about all of your doubts - and before the end of Term. He/she will be able to talk you through exactly what the problem is with your current course, any solutions/help available, and any other options open to you.

Your PT is there to help - and in exactly this sort of situation. Email them now, and ask if you can see them early next week.
I don't have a personal tutor in my university I don't know who'd I'd speak to.
Also I need to make a decision by 28th June if I want to repeat my exams.

You don't have any sort of guidance or welfare office at all?
Oh wait I just found out now there is student support. I emailed them now.

Well I definitely don't think that there is any benefit in repeating your exams; if you are going to stay on at uni, it seems that you would have a much better chance, and much more fun, if you pick a new course and start again in first year.

I don't know much about swimming, so I'll stick to the university route. Is there definitely no other course that you want to do? Are their any particular topics that you find yourself drawn to reading about on the internet or discussing with people? Perhaps there is something that you would be happy to do that you had never really considered, due to the pressure to do a maths based degree. If you can get through a degree without being too miserable (happiness is the most important thing), you would have options other than swimming, and, depending on your uni, you could train with the university swimming team.

Finally, don't let the supposed prestige around the academic route affect your decision. It's held in high regard in certain places (TSR), but there are plenty of people, and jobs, who/which don't think in that way.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tpx
Well I definitely don't think that there is any benefit in repeating your exams; if you are going to stay on at uni, it seems that you would have a much better chance, and much more fun, if you pick a new course and start again in first year.

I don't know much about swimming, so I'll stick to the university route. Is there definitely no other course that you want to do? Are their any particular topics that you find yourself drawn to reading about on the internet or discussing with people? Perhaps there is something that you would be happy to do that you had never really considered, due to the pressure to do a maths based degree. If you can get through a degree without being too miserable (happiness is the most important thing), you would have options other than swimming, and, depending on your uni, you could train with the university swimming team.

Finally, don't let the supposed prestige around the academic route affect your decision. It's held in high regard in certain places (TSR), but there are plenty of people, and jobs, who/which don't think in that way.

Yeah there is no other course I like I did consider business my course involves it but after thinking about it I don't actually want a career in it it. I only considered it because I didn't mind business but I find the whole learning of business extremely boring and I don't feel I'm willing to do business. I know I've always had swimming in the back of my mind a regret that after lessons and getting a fear of deep water led me to not continue on. I didn't know there was teams either and I wouldn't have had the money for them. Also I've noticed after I haven't swam for ages I feel like wanting to swim. Now I don't want to become an olympian or anything. Just try out and maybe see how I am as an instructor. This has never ever crossed my mind being an instructor I've always known I've liked swimming but always thought "I don't know if I'd be good at teaching it" . After giving it some thought I've noticed when people say they're afraid of swimming the first thing I think of is "I'd love to help encourage you" . My college hasn't got a team it's small. I've realised even in the gym I put so much effort into workouts even my trainer comments on how quickly I pick things up. And swimming I'm the same. I don't put that kind of effort into my work because I'm not interested in it enough.
. I didn't realise this. Sometimes I do read psychology and self helps or health/fitness related information thats it really. I have no interest in a career in psychology I wouldn't want to give that advice. I do enjoy english that was my favourite subject , although I do not want to teach it and I not a reader even though I can read. I prefer watching movies.
Also I must say I'm not too bad financially I had an accident when I was younger so I do have savings quite a lot. So I wouldn't be that badly off.
I am good at finding out information about things doing lots of research about different things.
Also I did have a feeling I failed one module the other module I thought I'd worked hard enough to pass and I didn't.
I just find maths complicated and don't like anything to do with it. But I don't know if I should resit the exams and see if I pass and see if I can defer first year to make a decision. I don't know can you defer second year?
I'm also fearing that I may end up a failure if I don't stay at university.
(edited 10 years ago)
I've figured out courses I'm interested in journalism and media or marketingmore the first but that seems tough to get into.
But I love being able to write.
Reply 11
HNDs and topups are a alternative to uni whilst still getting Bsc.
Work experience/ job in industry?
I don't like my course at all it's just there's too much maths modules for me to handle and there's more next year . I'm just going to keep failing or getting average grades.
I've looked into a few short courses in journalism.
I've had a think about it I'm torn between marketing and journalism.
I'd like to do journalism but it's uncertain career wise afterwards. Marketing I also like and it allows me to be creative and I won't be as limited in careers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending