The Student Room Group

Interview tips for dental hygiene and therapy

Hi everyone
I applied for dental hygiene and therapy course by UCAS. I have got an interview date for Portsmouth but still waiting up on Queen Mary, Cardiff, Leeds and Teesside. I have been working as a dental nurse for the last 7 years. Withing the 7 years I compiled foundation degree in science and graduated in BSc Human biology. I am not sure if other university will consider my application. However I got one interview line up so I want to give my best shot and if any one can give me some interview tips I will be greatful
Original post by Nushi89
Hi everyone
I applied for dental hygiene and therapy course by UCAS. I have got an interview date for Portsmouth but still waiting up on Queen Mary, Cardiff, Leeds and Teesside. I have been working as a dental nurse for the last 7 years. Withing the 7 years I compiled foundation degree in science and graduated in BSc Human biology. I am not sure if other university will consider my application. However I got one interview line up so I want to give my best shot and if any one can give me some interview tips I will be greatful

My interview tips would to be to keep the conversation on you. There are basic question answers that you can get anywhere on the internet but mine was more of a chat about why I wanted DHT and what my goals were. They want people who really care about the dental profession not people who just want to make more money. (not saying for a second that's you) :-)

Have an interesting and topical subject that you've researched a load about and ask THEM about it. Then you control the interview and you can get into a debate about something you understand rather than having questions fired at you. I think at the end of the day they ust want to be assured you want to come to their uni, you're not going to leave and you have the academic ability to get a decent grade (that makes them look good).

Teeside was my uni. I loved it there. I wrote a piece on what to do once you leave if you're interested. You could use something like that as your question. What's the future of DHT? What's the future of the NHS or do you think dentists should be doing fillings and scale and polish anymore? Isn't that a total waste of taxpayers money? Something like that. Here's my article at the place I work at now:

Good luck!!!
(Original post by Rebecca N)My interview tips would to be to keep the conversation on you. There are basic question answers that you can get anywhere on the internet but mine was more of a chat about why I wanted DHT and what my goals were. They want people who really care about the dental profession not people who just want to make more money. (not saying for a second that's you) :-)

Have an interesting and topical subject that you've researched a load about and ask THEM about it. Then you control the interview and you can get into a debate about something you understand rather than having questions fired at you. I think at the end of the day they ust want to be assured you want to come to their uni, you're not going to leave and you have the academic ability to get a decent grade (that makes them look good).

Teeside was my uni. I loved it there. I wrote a piece on what to do once you leave if you're interested. You could use something like that as your question. What's the future of DHT? What's the future of the NHS or do you think dentists should be doing fillings and scale and polish anymore? Isn't that a total waste of taxpayers money? Something like that. Here's my article at the place I work at now:

Good luck!!!

Hi Rebecca, I have an interview at Teeside this month, do you have any tips/what they look for and do you have the link to your piece? And also what sort of topic subject like a recent dentistry related new article? Thanks!
Original post by Nushi89
Hi everyone

Best of luck with your application.

If you'd like to check up on anything please feel free to give us a call on 01642 384110 :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Rebecca N
My interview tips would to be to keep the conversation on you. There are basic question answers that you can get anywhere on the internet but mine was more of a chat about why I wanted DHT and what my goals were. They want people who really care about the dental profession not people who just want to make more money. (not saying for a second that's you) :-)

Good luck!!!

please can you share the article again?

Quick Reply

Latest