The Student Room Group

will oxbridge reject me if i don’t have work experience ?

for context i’m a year 12 wanting to do a psychology degree

i currently do a levels

maths
further maths (might drop after AS not sure yet)
bio
psychology

as well as

btech production arts (pretty much just a hobby that i happen to be getting a qualification for)

i’ve attended lectures etc on psychology, and entered competitions etc, and doing my epq on it

as well as volunteering

but i’m struggling to find work experience, will that look bad on my application ?
Original post by xxyyx

i currently do a levels

maths
bio
psychology

as well as

btech production arts (pretty much just a hobby that i happen to be getting a qualification for)

i’ve attended lectures etc on psychology, and entered competitions etc, and doing my epq on it

as well as volunteering

but i’m struggling to find work experience, will that look bad on my application ?

Universities like Oxford and Cambridge are interested in your academic ability. For Psychology, they're going to have little interest in any work experience you've managed to do (which, as you've found, isn't easy to find in that field anyway).

Use the time you've saved on work experience to do super-curriculars: reading books, reading journals, watching TED talks, listening to podcasts, etc. - essentially gaining academic knowledge outside of the A level curriculum.
i attended an oxford open day last year and they specifically said during the talk work experience is the least of their worries. yes, it can be useful for the individual themselves as a first impression into the field - but they are aware not everyone has access to such opportunities. they won't reject an individual solely based on no work experience - so don't worry about it! if you can get it great! but equally, if you can't supercurriculars are the way to go!

hope this helped!
Original post by xxyyx

i currently do a levels

maths
bio
psychology

as well as

as well as volunteering

I have an offer from Oxford (albeit for a different subject) and I had no work experience at all :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest