The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Help Question Thread 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I found this really helpful when writing up mine regarding content/how to phrase things and for answering questions I had.
Reply 41
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Would it be a good idea to mention an essay competition which I took part in for history, even if the results won't be announced until the end of October (at the latest)?

Definitely. The outcome of the competition doesn't really matter, it's the fact that you entered something which was completely outwith your school work and what you learned from it, what you found interesting about that and why you found that interesting.
Original post by Ecosse_14
Definitely. The outcome of the competition doesn't really matter, it's the fact that you entered something which was completely outwith your school work and what you learned from it, what you found interesting about that and why you found that interesting.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 43
Can I use abbreviations? Specifically, can I refer to European Union Law as EU Law while maintaining a high level of formality?
Original post by Dust.
Can I use abbreviations? Specifically, can I refer to European Union Law as EU Law while maintaining a high level of formality?

I don't see a problem with that. I think the general rule should be whether a layperson would know what you're on about. In the case of EU Law the layperson is, in all likelihood, going to know what it means. Besides, the admissions tutor certainly will.
Reply 45
Hi guys,

I am writing my PS and some of my concerns arised.

- I have written my PS into 7 paragraphs (like 3950 characters, as a wall of text). When I enter this into UCAS (with blank lines, as you guys advised here on the board before), it's way too over the maximum lines. So I tried cutting down each paragraph, but in that case, it's like only 3500 characters, which is quite low (not to mention that still important parts were left out).

Now, I made it into 4 paragraphs (I merged the last two, and the middle two) cut down a few things, and made blank lines again. Now its around 3850 characters. Nothing important is left out, but my problems are: not close to 4000 characters, and the merged paragraphs are not really in a connection.

I have read on TSR many times before that not using nearly all of the characters up, it could give the admission tutor a feeling that you are not that qualified for the course.

What should I do?

- Around 70% (30% is beginning, and ending) of my PS is concentrating on my extracullicar activities. It's an Economics PS and I got a good load of experience to demonstrate my interest, so my PS is basically detailing these: a book, three finals of different economics themed competitions, insight days at two financial instutitons, and work experience (one for a prominent financial site, one for a big bank in our country).

And that's about it.

Reading the TSR PS library anyone who got offers from the top 6 universities all talked a lot about the subject - I mean I also talk about the subject, but it's linked to my experience (competitions, work experience, insight programmes) and that's why I got less space to talk directly about Economics.

Is this OK, or should I change my PS up?
Regarding blank spaces I had them on my PS in my UCAS form for presentation, i did joy want my PS to look like a mass clump of writing/text :tongue:. I got offers from Cambridge and LSE (and my other 3 choices).

Yet, leaving black spaces is not necessary I know others who did not and still got offers.

My advice is that you need to cut down, however, your work experience is good I would leave it in, but perhaps rephrase it using less words. You need to go over the whole PS and see where you could rephrase bits it cut them out. (It seems hard at first, perhaps have a break and cone back to it with fresh eyes).

If in doubt post it on the PS Help forum on here it's very helpful from what I remember of using it last year!

Good luck! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 47
Bump
Reply 48
I haven't really got any extra curriculum activities to write about on my UCAS application for 2014 except reading (I want to study combined English and History) so what do I do? I'm not part of any club etc and I haven't done any volunteering. So, what should I write about because honestly all I do is read novels and they're not even classics!!:frown::confused:Help!!!
Original post by atkbm
I haven't really got any extra curriculum activities to write about on my UCAS application for 2014 except reading (I want to study combined English and History) so what do I do? I'm not part of any club etc and I haven't done any volunteering. So, what should I write about because honestly all I do is read novels and they're not even classics!!:frown::confused:Help!!!

Non-related extra curriculars aren't really important so don't worry about it too much :smile:
Reply 50
Im having a similar problem in that I dont really do any extra curricular at all since i stopped my piano lessons, especially not related to Psychology.. I'm due to start doing some volunteering at a homeless food bank and i did work experience at a primary school which can link in, and then some psychology reading but what else can i do???
Reply 51
I want to talk about an experiment I did with three types of virus, they all have very long names, and I feel that it would be more 'academic' to use their longer names but I don't want to sound like I have just googled the names to impress the people I apply to.

This is not the the one I am using but for example calling Eczema atopic dermatitis.
Any advice?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 52
Bumper
Reply 53
Original post by *Interrobang*
Non-related extra curriculars aren't really important so don't worry about it too much :smile:

Yes, but what should I write about in that last bit of the personal statement?:confused:
Original post by atkbm
Yes, but what should I write about in that last bit of the personal statement?:confused:

If you've really got nothing to say, just don't have a paragraph for it
Original post by larajg12
Im having a similar problem in that I dont really do any extra curricular at all since i stopped my piano lessons, especially not related to Psychology.. I'm due to start doing some volunteering at a homeless food bank and i did work experience at a primary school which can link in, and then some psychology reading but what else can i do???

I've just put work experience at a primary school and reading :smile:
Reply 56
Does anyone have tips on the opening and closing paragraphs for the personal statement, I am really struggling, mine sound too cliché.
I am applying for geography.
Reply 57
Anyone?
When editing for length it's always better to either completely rephrase or cut out a point than start chipping off words as that ruins your voice and style. Also good paragraphing is ESSENTIAL admissions will see so many poorly paragraphed PS's trying to cram everything in I'm sure they'll feel relief at receiving a properly structured one. So that's some general advice :smile:

If your experience is used to say why you like and enjoy economics and feel it has value as a degree then that's great. If it's at all name dropping / showing off then that's bad. They have to compare you equally with candidates who may have had little opportunity to attend insight programmes, etc. so they will look for passion and interest over specifics. Specific activities just make it easier to show interest and hopefully mean you have more insight into the subject and can pinpoint why you like it.

I don't know about the character thing I'm sure mine was only like 3650 (but I applied back into 2010 for maths and things could have changed).
Reply 59
Original post by *Interrobang*
If you've really got nothing to say, just don't have a paragraph for it

Thanks, lol but Is It ok to do that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending