The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

BA (Hons) Health and Social Care

Hi everyone

I've had quite a few messages about the course on here; so as I've just got in to third year I can try my best to answer any queries regarding first and second year and grading criterion so if you have any questions about the course don't hesitate to ask me anything.
I'm also a Student Ambassador at the uni so I can give you tours around the city campus. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Boreism
Hi everyone

I've had quite a few messages about the course on here; so as I've just got in to third year I can try my best to answer any queries regarding first and second year and grading criterion so if you have any questions about the course don't hesitate to ask me anything.
I'm also a Student Ambassador at the uni so I can give you tours around the city campus. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I can't wait to start health and social care! i'm so excited, which pathways have you chosen? i'm thinking guidance and counselling & criminal justice. Any advice for preparing for the course, books I should buy etc? :smile:
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by lindaelaine
Hey, I can't wait to start health and social care! i'm so excited, which pathways have you chosen? i'm thinking guidance and counselling & criminal justice. Any advice for preparing for the course, books I should buy etc? :smile:

Hi I will be in third year in September (term and lectures doesn't start until beginning of October) and although it hasn't mentioned it on the course specification they've removed the option to choosing pathways for third years this year (which mainly affects me) but I think it will revert back to opting pathways when you'll be in your third year. I've chosen my modules which are Advice and Guidance Interventions, Health Promotion, Contemporary Mental Health and Living Places. Not only are these are personal topic interests but no exams for me in third year! Just a 10 000 word dissertation for me and a few load of coursework! :biggrin:

Books wise definitely get 'Key Themes In Health and Social Care' by Adam Barnard. Adam is also the lecturer in one of the core modules you will be studying in your second year Philosophical, Political and Ethical Debate In Health and Social Care. This book is actually a lifesaver it's got all of the modules you will be studying in your 3 years on the course (but not for Foundations module; there's a separate book you have to buy for that I'm afraid). Trust me you don't want to throw it away during your uni years!

Uni life is not completely the same as college or school; it's much more diverse than that, so many people to meet (OK there might be some odd people here and there) but that's the whole idea of it really. Explore the (outside if you've been living with your parents) world and gain opportunities for yourself!

Another major important advice, I can't stress enough about the importance of work experience, volunteer (OK may not earn anything but you WILL definitely LEARN something from it) because what happens if you didn't get the grade you wanted in the end and what if people's CVs are all the same; same course no work experience gained...do you get my drift? My work experience had gained me mostly 2.1s in my modules in second year and all because of valuable knowledge (and experience) I had gained from it. But mind you, you could also work as Student Ambassador at uni that pays very well but you're not guaranteed to have all the work you should get.

I hope I've helped and you know what to do if you want to find out more. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Boreism
Hi I will be in third year in September (term and lectures doesn't start until beginning of October) and although it hasn't mentioned it on the course specification they've removed the option to choosing pathways for third years this year (which mainly affects me) but I think it will revert back to opting pathways when you'll be in your third year. I've chosen my modules which are Advice and Guidance Interventions, Health Promotion, Contemporary Mental Health and Living Places. Not only are these are personal topic interests but no exams for me in third year! Just a 10 000 word dissertation for me and a few load of coursework! :biggrin:Books wise definitely get 'Key Themes In Health and Social Care' by Adam Barnard. Adam is also the lecturer in one of the core modules you will be studying in your second year Philosophical, Political and Ethical Debate In Health and Social Care. This book is actually a lifesaver it's got all of the modules you will be studying in your 3 years on the course (but not for Foundations module; there's a separate book you have to buy for that I'm afraid). Trust me you don't want to throw it away during your uni years! Uni life is not completely the same as college or school; it's much more diverse than that, so many people to meet (OK there might be some odd people here and there) but that's the whole idea of it really. Explore the (outside if you've been living with your parents) world and gain opportunities for yourself!Another major important advice, I can't stress enough about the importance of work experience, volunteer (OK may not earn anything but you WILL definitely LEARN something from it) because what happens if you didn't get the grade you wanted in the end and what if people's CVs are all the same; same course no work experience gained...do you get my drift? My work experience had gained me mostly 2.1s in my modules in second year and all because of valuable knowledge (and experience) I had gained from it. But mind you, you could also work as Student Ambassador at uni that pays very well but you're not guaranteed to have all the work you should get.I hope I've helped and you know what to do if you want to find out more. :smile:Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much for getting back to me :smile: I think my only other questions for now are.. when are the welcome packs/time tables/reading lists sent out? and is Health and Social care a popular subject? Both at GCSE and Alevel the class sizes were noticeably smaller than other subjects and hsc doesn't seem a popular choice on the freshers page. If so does class size affect lectures/seminars in any way? thanks again :smile:
Original post by lindaelaine
Thank you so much for getting back to me :smile: I think my only other questions for now are.. when are the welcome packs/time tables/reading lists sent out? and is Health and Social care a popular subject? Both at GCSE and Alevel the class sizes were noticeably smaller than other subjects and hsc doesn't seem a popular choice on the freshers page. If so does class size affect lectures/seminars in any way? thanks again :smile:

I would say the welcome packs will come between now and September, lectures and seminars don't start until beginning of October.

I wouldn't say it's a popular course but there are a lot of people studying it (its downgraded to 90 people in my year now from 1st to 2nd, quite a few people failed 1st year).
I mean its a starting point if you want to go and do MA Social Work (if you couldn't get in the BA Social Work course because lack of experience in social care).
The size would not affect classes you'll have the same lectures as a year group but will be split into 3 or 4 groups for seminars. Besides when people get their A Levels/BTEC National Diploma results hoping to get into BA Social Work they will automatically be transferred into Health and Social Care course if they did not get their grades, if that makes any sense.

By the way there is a Facebook group for the 2013 intake called Health and Social Care where you can ask for help from people studying in your year. :smile:

In induction you will get course preparations and they will send you a link to the Facebook group. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Boreism
Hi everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't been on tsr for ages, so glad I decided to log in! This has literally answered all of my questions/worries! You are life saver! :smile:
Original post by Boreism
Hi everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, i've applied for Health & Social Care, starting in September 2013 and I have a few questions, which I want to get out my head, as i've been stressing about them the past couple of weeks, and hope you can help me, please.

Firstly, i hope you don't mind me asking, but I was wondering what a-levels you took at College? hope you don't mind me asking. Because I've never studied H&SC both at gcse/a-level as i've taken Sociology, English Language & Business. & I'm really worried i'm going to struggle.

Secondly, i'm unsure what i want to do after the three year course :s-smilie: I know I want to work in the health profession but unsure what in specific. Like I was wondering, is it a good course to do? for example will it open a lot of career options, having un-decided in what I want to do.

And also, If i was to decide I want to do a PGCE in primary teaching after the degree, would it be acceptable to do so? As it is stated on career options on Notitngham trent's website.

* I'm really sorry for the numerous question's i've asked you. - thank you SO MUCH in advance
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by InOneDirection
Hi, i've applied for Health & Social Care, starting in September 2013 and I have a few questions, which I want to get out my head, as i've been stressing about them the past couple of weeks, and hope you can help me, please.

Firstly, i hope you don't mind me asking, but I was wondering what a-levels you took at College? hope you don't mind me asking. Because I've never studied H&SC both at gcse/a-level as i've taken Sociology, English Language & Business. & I'm really worried i'm going to struggle.

Secondly, i'm unsure what i want to do after the three year course :s-smilie: I know I want to work in the health profession but unsure what in specific. Like I was wondering, is it a good course to do? for example will it open a lot of career options, having un-decided in what I want to do.

And also, If i was to decide I want to do a PGCE in primary teaching after the degree, would it be acceptable to do so? As it is stated on career options on Notitngham trent's website.

* I'm really sorry for the numerous question's i've asked you. - thank you SO MUCH in advance

Hi :smile:

Well I don't think you will struggle because there is an element of sociology on the course and I have never done Health and Social Care in my life (I did BTEC National in Travel and Tourism) and I have not struggled one bit just keep reading books and look at stuff on the Internet.
If you don't know what to do I suggest you do some volunteering in the sector (I know you don't get paid but at least you'll know if its the job you want to do or not).
I work as a Student Ambassador and work in a school in Nottingham in term time helping a pupil on a 1:1 basis advising and mentoring them about how to go about their career.
I suggest you search 'Students in Classrooms' on NTU website that's how I got both of these jobs.
I'm actually thinking of working in a school or university after I graduate in a similar role like Student Services or Careers Advisor but like I said on most of my posts in this thread you actually need experience as most employers require people to have them (that's an obvious no surprise) I cannot stress that enough...so that answers your question about both unsure career and PGCE.

By the way have they accepted you to study the course (on the condition you achieve the required grades obviously)?

I hope this helps so good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boreism
Hi :smile:

Well I don't think you will struggle because there is an element of sociology on the course and I have never done Health and Social Care in my life (I did BTEC National in Travel and Tourism) and I have not struggled one bit just keep reading books and look at stuff on the Internet.
If you don't know what to do I suggest you do some volunteering in the sector (I know you don't get paid but at least you'll know if its the job you want to do or not).
I work as a Student Ambassador and work in a school in Nottingham in term time helping a pupil on a 1:1 basis advising and mentoring them about how to go about their career.
I suggest you search 'Students in Classrooms' on NTU website that's how I got both of these jobs.
I'm actually thinking of working in a school or university after I graduate in a similar role like Student Services or Careers Advisor but like I said on most of my posts in this thread you actually need experience as most employers require people to have them (that's an obvious no surprise) I cannot stress that enough...so that answers your question about both unsure career and PGCE.

By the way have they accepted you to study the course (on the condition you achieve the required grades obviously)?

I hope this helps so good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's made me feel a lot better knowing i'm not the only one that hasn't studied Health & Social care previously :-) I'll have a look at that on the NTU'S site, thank you for recommending it to me. And also, yes you're right about the whole work experience bit, i've been advised to get some, within a sector I am interested in, but since school's are currently closed, I thought it may be difficult to get this experience, to know fully, whether 'Teaching' is for me or not. As I was busy with College, and was unable to get some w/e sadly.

I've been offered a conditional offer from NTU were I need to get 240 ucas points, but i've been predicted 320 so hopefully I'm in for a place.

I can't THANK you enough! Honestly thank you SO much for answering my questions, that's definitely cleared matters up :smile: One last question, sorry, I'm guessing you're in your last year right?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Boreism
Hi everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there, I was just wandering if you knew how difficult it is to get into a health related course at NTU through clearing?
Thanks in advance!!!
Original post by InOneDirection
That's made me feel a lot better knowing i'm not the only one that hasn't studied Health & Social care previously :-) I'll have a look at that on the NTU'S site, thank you for recommending it to me. And also, yes you're right about the whole work experience bit, i've been advised to get some, within a sector I am interested in, but since school's are currently closed, I thought it may be difficult to get this experience, to know fully, whether 'Teaching' is for me or not. As I was busy with College, and was unable to get some w/e sadly.

I've been offered a conditional offer from NTU were I need to get 240 ucas points, but i've been predicted 320 so hopefully I'm in for a place.

I can't THANK you enough! Honestly thank you SO much for answering my questions, that's definitely cleared matters up :smile: One last question, sorry, I'm guessing you're in your last year right?

Yes I'm going to be in my last year from end of September. Yay! :smile:

And that is so weird I was in that exact same situation with my conditional for NTU too 2 years ago! :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by raj1901
Hi there, I was just wandering if you knew how difficult it is to get into a health related course at NTU through clearing?
Thanks in advance!!!

Hi well I can't say or comment on this as I have never been in that situation before (as in my opinion I am a very hard worker lol!)
But I don't know sorry! :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello.I am about to do my first year on health and social care at lincoln uni.But unfortunately I wanted to do child nursing but I wasn't able to pass my interview.I am not sure what type of job i can get with health and social care degree and if I will be able to do my masters in children nursing after graduation.I will also what to know what type of funding support I can ask for.I will really appreciate your help and suggestions.
Original post by Mimi3019
Hello.I am about to do my first year on health and social care at lincoln uni.But unfortunately I wanted to do child nursing but I wasn't able to pass my interview.I am not sure what type of job i can get with health and social care degree and if I will be able to do my masters in children nursing after graduation.I will also what to know what type of funding support I can ask for.I will really appreciate your help and suggestions.

I know a lot of my fellow Health and Social Care graduates had gone to do postgraduate (Masters) courses in Social Work, Nursing and other similar Healthcare related courses.
There aren't a lot of Masters courses in Nursing so you may need to do a BSc in that field.
Just do your research on it.
In terms of careers, you are able to become a Youth Worker or work in Care.
Original post by MonsoonFlower
I know a lot of my fellow Health and Social Care graduates had gone to do postgraduate (Masters) courses in Social Work, Nursing and other similar Healthcare related courses.
There aren't a lot of Masters courses in Nursing so you may need to do a BSc in that field.
Just do your research on it.
In terms of careers, you are able to become a Youth Worker or work in Care.

Thank you soo much for you reply

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending