The Student Room Group

Funding for QTS

Hello,
I need some assistance. So I have an undergraduate BA (Hons) Degree, and I was thinking to do a pgce in fe. The only thing was that doing a pgce in fe does not entail me to a qts.
The reason why I’m thinking about doing a pgce in fe is that I would ideally like to work with students who are ALevels or in FE Insitutions.
In some schools for a pgce, you need a qts. I do not know how I would get a QTS. I mean I can apply for school direct but then for SFE would I be eligible for funding for a QTS whilst already having a pgce?
Please can someone help.
Original post by Nailaaaaa
Hello,
I need some assistance. So I have an undergraduate BA (Hons) Degree, and I was thinking to do a pgce in fe. The only thing was that doing a pgce in fe does not entail me to a qts.
The reason why I’m thinking about doing a pgce in fe is that I would ideally like to work with students who are ALevels or in FE Insitutions.
In some schools for a pgce, you need a qts. I do not know how I would get a QTS. I mean I can apply for school direct but then for SFE would I be eligible for funding for a QTS whilst already having a pgce?
Please can someone help.

To guarantee QTS, you should do PGCE in Secondary rather thaN FE. Depending on the University where you study, you could do placements in schools and colleges. When you complete the course and assuming you pass the placements you will obtain QTS. This will allow you to teach in schools and colleges. If you do a PGCE FE, you need to get a teaching job in a college and then you can apply for QTLS which gives you parity with QTS, but it is a long winded way to do it.
Reply 2
Yes, it is a long way to obtain a QTLS that’s why I am stressing about this.
I don’t really have an interest in teaching Secondary school Students but I would really like to teach A levels students.
I have a Ba (Hons) in early childhood studies and a level 3 extended diploma in creative media studies which is equivalent to A levels.
So the subjects that I would like to teach are social sciences as for my degree and possibly even creative media studies.
If I do a secondary PGCE in Psychology with a QTS, can I still teach sociology, psychology and health and social care, along with creative media studies, or will I only be limited to teaching psychology?
And with this can I still work in a University because I know with a PGCE in FE, I can still work in a university?
Original post by Nailaaaaa
Hello,
Please can someone help.

Hello @Nailaaaaa

Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) is similar to a license to teach in state-maintained schools and school based 6th forms in the UK. Anyone with QTS are able to access the qualified teacher main pay scale, teachers pensions and teams and conditions of workload.

You may get QTS through doing a teacher training course that is led by a University or a school, but any of these courses will require you to practice your teaching in at least two different schools with at least two different key stages. You need to be in a school setting for at least 2/3 of your training, an equivalent to 120 days. During your teacher training course, you build a portfolio of evidence to demonstrate that you meet the teaching standards. Therefore, the course is vocational in nature. Some courses will also offer the academic element of Post Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE), which is taught at L7 (Masters Degree level) and equates to about 4-5 academic assignments or essays. You do not need a PGCE/PGDE to be employed in a school in the UK, but it offers an academic/theoretical basis to form your teaching practice on. All courses that would award QTS are listed here.

There is support available to those on a course that lead to QTS. This is for fees and for maintenance, and depending on the subject you'd like to teach, perhaps bursary's or scholarships. Additionally, if you have dependents or disabilities, there are also grants available.

There is NO mandatory or universal qualification needed to teach in the FE sector. Each FE college would require that you meet their own person specification, and recruitment criteria. There are several teaching qualifications for working in the life long learning sector, and so, research which teaching qualification you would need to have to work for your individual local colleges.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending