The Student Room Group

Cancer EPQ Help

Hi, as part of my EPQ, I am comparing the effectiveness of 2 cancer treatments. I wanted tips on what factors I should consider for effectiveness? e.g. possible risks involved.

Thanks =)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone?
Reply 2
Original post by Hi, How are you ?
Hi, as part of my EPQ, I am comparing the effectiveness of 2 cancer treatments. I wanted tips on what factors I should consider for effectiveness? e.g. possible risks involved.

Thanks =)

% of 5, 10, 15 yr remission rates

impact on quality of life during and post treatment

availability
What factors would rule out the treatment for certain patients. Frequency/duration of treatment. Whether severity of side effects leads to a drop out rate before completion. Whether the immune system is so compromised by the treatment that it is impossible to administer regularly. (If the blood count drops below a certain level, treatment is suspended until it rises again, thereby preventing the schedule of treatment being maintained.)
WOW, thanks guys, keep them coming in =)
Long term effects - physical problems such as arthritis as a consequence of chemotherapy, but also increased likelihood of another cancer, such as leukaemia. Is it prophylactic or actually working on an active cancer? Early menopause in female patients caused by chemo, with the problems that brings. Frequency of treatment - different cycle lengths to hit cancer cells at different stages of their growth. Using two different drugs in a sequence to hit it at different stages. Method of administration. How many more do you want?:smile:
Reply 6
I am doing the EPQ right now..different subject though :tongue:

My best suggestion is look for various dissertations or a thesis relating to your topic as that will provide you with a good range of sources from which you'll need to analyze and evaluate which should show you what certain people focused on compared to others.
The things with the EPQ is that you need one main focus, it can't be too broad. So look at what interests you the most e.g. the effects may be something you wish to investigate. Focuses on that without disregarding the other focuses for instance How its provided/made/ which one is more ethical than the other etc. But still make sure your heading in one direction and not many different ones.
For instance you may say 'upon my research although i was specifically looking at...i found out that this type of treatment is unethical because...'
I was told by my teacher that even though you have one focus in your presentation they may ask whether you found out info on anything else or whether you stumbled across anything or why you didn't focus on something else.

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by lucine.B
I am doing the EPQ right now..different subject though :tongue:

My best suggestion is look for various dissertations or a thesis relating to your topic as that will provide you with a good range of sources from which you'll need to analyze and evaluate which should show you what certain people focused on compared to others.
The things with the EPQ is that you need one main focus, it can't be too broad. So look at what interests you the most e.g. the effects may be something you wish to investigate. Focuses on that without disregarding the other focuses for instance How its provided/made/ which one is more ethical than the other etc. But still make sure your heading in one direction and not many different ones.
For instance you may say 'upon my research although i was specifically looking at...i found out that this type of treatment is unethical because...'
I was told by my teacher that even though you have one focus in your presentation they may ask whether you found out info on anything else or whether you stumbled across anything or why you didn't focus on something else.

Hope that helps :smile:

Hey, how would you analyse and evaluate?
Reply 8
Hey, how would you analyse and evaluate?

Do you do Critical thinking??? If so then basically look at BRAVEN if not don't worry.
You are basically analysing and evaluating to show you can concur whether or not your source is credible
For example if you happen to stumble across a dissertation see if you can find out whether or not the student was an undergraduate. If they were an undergraduate you say something like ' In a dissertation written by (name) this was said...when looking at this i realised that treatment is infact much safer than y as i had not considered this factor. Knowing that the student who wrote this was a undergraduate heightens his credibility as although he/she isn't yet an expert in their field, they have been taught by experts. That knowledge has been passed on to said student so can be trusted and is noteworthy'...something like that. Mention why he/she is/isn't credible and back it with evidence i guess just to show the examiner that you understand the external material tat you have used. Also try to get some primary research. Maybe interview doctors/nurses or biology teachers in your school.
Also make sure you highlight whats relevant to your topic in the dissertation you find. Try not to loose focus and mention things that aren't necessary just because you find it interesting.
It's also good to look at the bibliography of a dissertation or thesis because there may be an interesting reference that they used that may grasp your attention. If you put in your production log that you saw it in a thesis and now you intend to find it in a library and see what secondary info you can get from there that'll be good. The examiners like it when you develop your work/question etc.

I honestly hope this makes sense to you haha. Maybe it'll be helpful :tongue:
Do you do Critical thinking??? If so then basically look at BRAVEN if not don't worry.
You are basically analysing and evaluating to show you can concur whether or not your source is credible
For example if you happen to stumble across a dissertation see if you can find out whether or not the student was an undergraduate. If they were an undergraduate you say something like ' In a dissertation written by (name) this was said...when looking at this i realised that treatment is infact much safer than y as i had not considered this factor. Knowing that the student who wrote this was a undergraduate heightens his credibility as although he/she isn't yet an expert in their field, they have been taught by experts. That knowledge has been passed on to said student so can be trusted and is noteworthy'...something like that. Mention why he/she is/isn't credible and back it with evidence i guess just to show the examiner that you understand the external material tat you have used. Also try to get some primary research. Maybe interview doctors/nurses or biology teachers in your school.
Also make sure you highlight whats relevant to your topic in the dissertation you find. Try not to loose focus and mention things that aren't necessary just because you find it interesting.
It's also good to look at the bibliography of a dissertation or thesis because there may be an interesting reference that they used that may grasp your attention. If you put in your production log that you saw it in a thesis and now you intend to find it in a library and see what secondary info you can get from there that'll be good. The examiners like it when you develop your work/question etc.

I honestly hope this makes sense to you haha. Maybe it'll be helpful :tongue:

WOW, Thanks a lot =)
Reply 10
WOW, Thanks a lot =)

Your most welcome :^_^:
Reply 11
Somehow no one has mentioned price...

also, 5, 10 year mortality and morbidity is probably more useful than quoting remissions rates, unless its a cancer that only occurs in the very young.

'Knowing that the student who wrote this was a undergraduate heightens his credibility as although he/she isn't yet an expert in their field, they have been taught by experts. That knowledge has been passed on to said student so can be trusted and is noteworthy'

This statement is quite bizarre. more credible than who? A postgrad? The expert?

I would focus on the actual claims and evidence provided - is the source reliable, any conflicts of interest etc - not speculate over a single undergraduate's teaching and abilities.
Reply 12
Original post by nexttime
Somehow no one has mentioned price...

also, 5, 10 year mortality and morbidity is probably more useful than quoting remissions rates, unless its a cancer that only occurs in the very young.

This statement is quite bizarre. more credible than who? A postgrad? The expert?

I would focus on the actual claims and evidence provided - is the source reliable, any conflicts of interest etc - not speculate over a single undergraduate's teaching and abilities.

That is the information the examiners want to know. You kind of need to mention erm their 'profession' if you will. Do you even do critical thinking???...just out of interest.
Being able to state what the person is can either increase or decrease their credibility thats when you take expertise into consideration. What i've been told to do, what examiners have said to do...
Only trying to help. I'm not saying don't evaluate the document itself i'm saying try to consider the other factor that may make said person more or less credible.
Reply 13
That is the information the examiners want to know. You kind of need to mention erm their 'profession' if you will. Do you even do critical thinking???...just out of interest.
Being able to state what the person is can either increase or decrease their credibility thats when you take expertise into consideration. What i've been told to do, what examiners have said to do...
Only trying to help. I'm not saying don't evaluate the document itself i'm saying try to consider the other factor that may make said person more or less credible.

You should do what the examiners tell you for an exam, for sure.

I'm just saying that 'its written by an undergrad therefore its more reliable' would be literally laughable in a professional scientific review, which is presumably what the OP is trying to replicate/aspire to. If you want to criticise, pointing to specific conflicts of interest, logical fallacies or unreliable evidence would be far, far better than a personal attack on the author's credentials.
Reply 14
Original post by nexttime
You should do what the examiners tell you for an exam, for sure.

I'm just saying that 'its written by an undergrad therefore its more reliable' would be literally laughable in a professional scientific review, which is presumably what the OP is trying to replicate/aspire to. If you want to criticise, pointing to specific conflicts of interest, logical fallacies or unreliable evidence would be far, far better than a personal attack on the author's credentials.

...erm that wasn't the full sentence...
I know that, which is why i am trying to help. I am simply passing on the knowledge i have been given regarding this very task. This is what i myself have been told to do, so well i'm sure you can put two and two together.
Hmmm well i'm not making a personal attack at all, honestly if you did critical thinking you'd understand. It isn't an attack in anyway whatsoever
But interpret it how you will...just tryna help here :smile:
Not sure if these have already been said as I haven't read through all of the replies but, what about cost and effectiveness?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

Thanks =)

Hey, my topic is on leukaemia too and im assessing the effectiveness of chemo. the prob is that in my title i jus said ,'' what is the effectiveness of chemo in treating childhood leukaemia?" and now im really struggling because there are a few alternative treatments. I am not sure if I should talk about all of them or just a select few.

for example, an alternative treatment is stem cell transplant and there r 3 types of it: bone marrow transplant, peripheral blood stem cell transplant and cord blood tranplant. And in all of them, they can be either autologous or allogeneic. I am so confused on whether I should talk about all of them since the main treatment is stem cell transplant and it branches out into autologous bone marrow transplant,allogeneic bone marrow transplant, etc. Any help is much appreciated!
I would advise you to specific your topic as it is too broad at the moment.

Eg

Childhood leukaemia - ? Which leukaemia type
Chemotherapy - ? Which chemotherapy

A title such as 'the effectiveness of cisplatin in acute myeloblastic leukaemia' would be better.
(edited 9 years ago)
If your topic is regarding a chemotherapy effectiveness then stem cell transplant is not relavent
Reply 19
Original post by Revenged
If your topic is regarding a chemotherapy effectiveness then stem cell transplant is not relavent

i tot it would be too specific so i made it broad! but hey, why is stem cell transplant not relevant? bcoz i was thinking that i can talk about chemo n its side effects and then look at other treatments (eg. stem cell transplant) to compare them. Would tat be okay?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending