The Student Room Group

Sick of cultural appropriation

I'm sick of the dominant white privilege groups stealing from Poc's culture. Please check your privilege. It is not okay for white hipster girls to wear headdresses, kiminos or bindi's. I am so so so sick of my culture being treated as a fashion statement.

It’s just like wearing blackface.
“Playing Indian” has a long history, all the way back to those original tea partiers in Boston, and in no way is it better than minstral shows or dressing up in blackface. You are pretending to be a race that you are not, and are drawing upon stereotypes to do so. Like my first point said, you’re collapsing distinct cultures, and in doing so, you’re asserting your power over them. Which leads me to the next issue.

"So I'm not allowed to have a genuine interest in another culture?!!?!??!"

First of all, privileged whites wearing Urban Outfitters "Navajo" panties, I didn't realize that you excavated those in your anthropological field work. My bad. Carry on.

It is not okay for white people to have parties mocking gypsy, Japanese or Native American culture either. Nor is it okay for British white boys on facebook to try and act like (aka make fun of) ghetto rappers and wear snapbacks, same goes for white girls to try to twerk. Here’s why you should care because you grew up steeped in white privilege. Because your simultaneous appropriation and stereotypying of black culture is harmful and oppressive. You can twerk and pretend to be “ratchet” but it only lasts for the three minutes and 34 seconds that you’re on facebook, and then you can take it all off and live life as the privileged white girl that you are. Other people of color can’t do that. They have to deal with the awful stereotypes, the racism, the discrimination that comes attached to their non-whiteness.

A comment on the youtube page for “We Can’t Stop” really sums up why everything about this sucks: “I love how miley twerks. its not the casual black girl, big ass, twerk, but a white girl showing off her moves. loved it!” Great so not only are we into the appropriation and exploitation of black culture for profit, but now we’re mocking and degrading that very culture when it’s authentically performed by black people, only to praise it when it’s performed by white people? Ugh.

Say it with me now, "I am a product of a racist society, therefore, I have and hold racist beliefs within me (even if they are not conscious). My job is to listen, inform myself, and be aware so that I can uncover and interrupt any and all racism within me and be a part of helping move this **** forward!"

Scroll to see replies

You say other ethnicities ('non-whites') have to deal with the discrimination, racism, stereotypes and you make a post about 'privileged white girls.'

Because every white girl in this country is middle-class, well-off, loved, is free from stereotypical portrayals or ignorant comments.
Reply 2
Oh dear, the hypocrisy. Complain about the fact that non-white people are discriminated and then attack "privileged white people".

Because you can only have it tough if you're non-white, right? Pathetic.

You dislike that someone stereotypes other cultures. Fair enough. But you just did the same thing by stereotyping and generalising a very large group of people.
Reply 3
Original post by Alexandra's Box
You say other ethnicities ('non-whites') have to deal with the discrimination, racism, stereotypes and you make a post about 'privileged white girls.'

Because every white girl in this country is middle-class, well-off, loved, is free from stereotypical portrayals or ignorant comments.

I don't know how clear I can make this but if you're not a PoC stop telling us how to feel on the topic of racism. Stay in your lane.

[h="2"]Racism against white people does not exist.[/h]Racism is power and privilege, not “omg black dude called me a cracker". It’s institutional and cultural oppressions that affect your life on a daily basis, not isolated instances.
I agree that people fetishising other people's culture is annoying as hell, especially when it's White people doing it (even moreso if they're wearing dreadlocks), but White people can face racism and don't all lead happy middle class lives.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
So only people with certain skin colours can wear certain clothes or do certain dances?

That's a bit crazy.:s-smilie:
I'm a mixed-race 'PoC' and I've recieved more racism from 'PoC' than white people.
If you think White people can't suffer from racism then I'm afraid to say that you need to go outside.
Everyone suffers in this world.
Original post by Boopho
I don't know how clear I can make this but if you're not a PoC stop telling us how to feel on the topic of racism. Stay in your lane.

[h="2"]Racism against white people does not exist.[/h]Racism is power and privilege, not “omg black dude called me a cracker". It’s institutional and cultural oppressions that affect your life on a daily basis, not isolated instances.

I actually thought your OP might be worth looking into in more depth, but after you made that statement in bold I'm afraid there'll be no point.

I'm not telling you how to feel. I'm telling you how I feel. And drop the patronising tone.
Reply 8
Original post by Seb.
Oh dear, the hypocrisy. Complain about the fact that non-white people are discriminated and then attack "privileged white people".

Because you can only have it tough if you're non-white, right? Pathetic.

You dislike that someone stereotypes other cultures. Fair enough. But you just did the same thing by stereotyping and generalising a very large group of people.

You think it is okay for white people to wear headdresses?
Reply 9
I actually thought your OP might be worth looking into in more depth, but after you made that statement in bold I'm afraid there'll be no point.

I'm not telling you how to feel. I'm telling you how I feel. And drop the patronising tone.

I bet you agree with white hipster girls twerking in their headdresses. Racism apologist or just your privilege?

The other day two white dudes telling me I’m overreacting when I say Miley Cyrus is oppressing black people and appropriating their culture and using them as accessories.
I FORGOT SHE’S JUST BEIN’ MILEY.
god dammit white dudes ****ing get it together.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Boopho
You think it is okay for white people to wear headdresses?

There was this really pathetic thing a while back where some White girls started wearing Hijabs thinking that by doing it for the day, they understood discrimination people wearing Hijabs face. It would be better just to be themselves and oppose discrimination, without the self-aggrandising gesture.
Reply 11
Totally agree!

I'd like to know why 90% of people learning kung fu are vegetarians called Stuart.
Original post by Boopho
I bet you agree with white hipster girls twerking in their headdresses. Racism apologist or just your privilege?

The other day two white dudes telling me I’m overreacting when I say Miley Cyrus is oppressing black people and appropriating their culture and using them as accessories.
I FORGOT SHE’S JUST BEIN’ MILEY.
god dammit white dudes ****ing get it together.

I didn't even know what twerking was until 2 minutes ago. I think they look stupid, Cyrus included. I don't consider race when reaching that conclusion.
White girls often have long, straight hair. Do you not agree with black girls straightening their hair to copy common trends in this country?
Reply 13
What even is this thread about? Wtf is PoC, wtf is twerking and wtf is 'Miley'? Who the **** "plays Indian"?
Original post by Boopho

Racism against white people does not exist.

It's truly amazing how much that statement gets thrown around considering just how ridiculous it is. By it's very definition racism is discrimination against someone based on their race. It does not necessarily have to be institutionalised or aimed at a minority. Being of a certain race that is subject to racism doesn't excuse you from being a racist if that's what your actions are. Was Idi Amin not racist because he was black? Or was the holocaust not racist because the Jews were white?
Original post by CJKay
What even is this thread about? Wtf is PoC, wtf is twerking and wtf is 'Miley'? Who the **** "plays Indian"?

The social justice league must be leaking out of Tumblr and spreading to other sites.
Original post by Boopho

Racism against white people does not exist.

Racism is power and privilege, not “omg black dude called me a cracker". It’s institutional and cultural oppressions that affect your life on a daily basis, not isolated instances.

Haha! What a bizarre thing to say! You're absolutely deluded. I seriously hope you're another bland troll and this isn't actually the extent of your thought process.
Reply 17
You make some valid points. These hipsters are ****ing annoying tbh.

However racism against white people does exist.
Reply 18
I didn't even know what twerking was until 2 minutes ago. I think they look stupid, Cyrus included. I don't consider race when reaching that conclusion.
White girls often have long, straight hair. Do you not agree with black girls straightening their hair to copy common trends in this country?

Cultural appropriation is the dominant culture stealing from the oppressed. Please try and educate your privilege.
Reply 19
Original post by CJKay

Person of colour. A Dance that isn't from white culture. Miley Cyrus. Racist Hipsters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending