The Student Room Group

Do I qualify for special consideration?

To cut a long story short I have severe Aspbergers Syndrome with ADHD and Dyslexia + other things and I have previously been to special schools where I was at a mainstream college on placement where I got 1 A-Level at Grade E.

I am now at a mainstream college full time where I am on course to get a MMM which would give me 280 UCAS overall.

The question I am asking though the course I want to do I need 360 UCAS and do Universities show special consideration to people like me or not if I don't get the entry requirements?

Cheers to anyone who can help.
You are working hard and want academic success - go for it! But rather than asking on this forum I think you need to be asking the admissions tutor at the uni you re interested in - or your academic tutor at your college who will know your learning style as well as you do.

Good luck with your search for the best course for you.
Reply 2
Original post by coolguy22468
To cut a long story short I have severe Aspbergers Syndrome with ADHD and Dyslexia + other things and I have previously been to special schools where I was at a mainstream college on placement where I got 1 A-Level at Grade E.

I am now at a mainstream college full time where I am on course to get a MMM which would give me 280 UCAS overall.

The question I am asking though the course I want to do I need 360 UCAS and do Universities show special consideration to people like me or not if I don't get the entry requirements?

I can't comment on ADHD or Asperger's, but as a dyslexic you get time consideration in that you may get extra time in exams (I get 25%), but no marks consideration and universities won't offer any lower for dyslexics, but you'll have to ask someone else about ADHD and Asperger's.
Good luck
Reply 3
Original post by coolguy22468

Usually not, no. If you are predicted 360 UCAS points+ and fail to achieve this due to mitigating circumstances then they can make allowances, but this is a little different to what you're asking (which is do universities give lower offers to those with disabilities or health conditions despite there being no mitigating circumstances).

You are aware that you are entitled to exam concessions during your A-levels, including extra time? The reason why universities won't usually give lower offers is, as well as being positive discrimination, they will see it as unnecessary should you take advantage of the exam concessions. These concessions are usually enough to compensate. If they aren't, and you face other difficulties that aren't adequately compensated for, then this is mitigating circumstances and will be treat on an individual basis by the university.

So it's best you ask individual admissions tutors about this.
Reply 4
I will as the entry officer then, I think I was given it when I applied for my first college.
Reply 5
My son has ADHD Asperger and dyslexia and is starting a degree in computer science in September at a local college What we found is that you don't need as many UCAS points if you study at a college rather than at a uni. He wouldn't have had enough points hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leylo
My son has ADHD Asperger and dyslexia and is starting a degree in computer science in September at a local college What we found is that you don't need as many UCAS points if you study at a college rather than at a uni. He wouldn't have had enough points hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

This. I too have noticed that the amount of UCAS points required at Higher Education Colleges tend to be below what is required at Universities. At a few HE colleges I was looking at back in spring, they tend to ask that you have GCSE Maths and English Language, and 160 UCAS points. At the universities I looked at, they tend to ask for the same GCSE and 240+ UCAS points.

Quick Reply

Latest